• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,429 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M7 - Blue

Posted 19 April 2014 - 18:24

While I think that emailing the CEO is a way to get free stuff, I can see this going wrong in many ways for the rest of the consumers.  There is a site called consumerist.com which talks about how you can contact CEO's and their executives to alert them to problems and issues you may have with their staff, product or the way you were treated.  They give very clear guides on how to do this so you can get what you want done without a lot of trouble.  (Through a process called an Executive Email Carpet Bomb or EECB)

I was having a major issue with my HP Tablet which refused to charge, I went through their tech support purgatory in whatever country they outsourced to.  This did not end well with me so I stewed on it and contacted their executive services team with a special number not published but in a few places.  It was very clear that they do not advertise this number.  I called it and got a very "secure" IVR, simply stating to enter the option that I wanted in the phone tree.   No other prompts no other info.  When I talked to the guy, he was very puzzled at how I got the number and I pretty much ended up to giving him the excuse that Google is good at what it does. 

What I am getting at is this - if you, your friends, other people, their friends, and so forth start writing CEO's of companies to express your satisfaction with the product in hopes of getting free gift (without revealing you are wanting something in return), it will work well for a while, but they are smart and will catch on (like the IVR in my case).  Pretty soon, it will become useless in contacting them.  You can probably achieve the same results by contacting their customer service team. 

#17 pallipdrsn0

pallipdrsn0

Neowinian

• 118 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 18:47

Some interesting results. If it were only with the expectation of receiving free stuff I'd feel bad about trying this blanket approach, mind (in no way am I saying that is what you are doing.) If I like their product I may email them to let them know, if I have a complaint I certainly will, but I would expect nothing in return for it and I would only send the messages in exceptional circumstances.

But again, interesting results. The next step in the experiment would be to get a group of people from all over the place to send similar praising emails, and see how many times they get freebies and how many times they just get a nice email back.

Absolutely same here; and if I owned a company and got a letter from a satisfied customer he would get a reply from me (if he were to find out my email address because I would much rather let Customer relations handle it) which would be pretty much "Thanks for owning our product and I'm glad you like it" - and under absolutely no circumstances would the individual get free stuff, unless it was to replace a defective product. If a disgruntled customer would write to me, and had had no luck in having the product repaired or had trouble with customer service etc, the reply would be pretty much "Sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with our product(s). We are very sorry to see you go but we truly hope our competitors will serve you better than we could" (and if the trouble had been with Customer service that would of course be investigated and repaired for the future)

#18 OP +RedReddington

RedReddington

member_id=28229

• 9,945 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 20:25

Is it really safe to e-mail the tax office about anything, especially a CEO? :p

I did. Problem sorted in record time!!