Could you see yourself marrying an atheist?

Could you see yourself marrying an Atheist?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Could you see yourself marrying an Atheist?

• No, religion is important to me and needs to have the faith.
    • No, same religion is not important but belief in god or spiritual is the minimum
    • Yes, as long we get a long and I love her/him
    • Yes, one of the reason I started to date the person

This question is a little deep and need to go in to detail. If you're a strong Christian/Muslim then you would not date the person in the first place, so you didn't know until it got serious. If you're an atheist then you would already know the person was an atheist anyway so it would be pointless to hide it.

Dont ask why I'm starting topic about atheist. Already went over it in the last poll and I would think people would like to see what answers people will answer.

PS. Mods I'm not trying to start trouble. :-D

I am not atheist but i have no real desire to believe in god, or any god.  Something might be out there, im not sure.  Anyways thats me, my wife is catholic, very devout catholic, its a touchy subject especally with the kids some times but it affects our relationship very little in the day to day. It took a little time for the inlaws to get over it but once they realized we loved one another and that I would make a good husband they went with it as well.  Personally I would not sweat it much, but again this me and not you.  Do what you feel is right.

Make another poll, would you play Halo with an atheist on Xbox Live?

not way! because i don't have an Xbox and i don't have Halo...

But wouldn't atheists have playstations??

Well to be honest they'd probably have Super Nintendos because Nintendo used to remove some religious symbols from their games before releasing in the US.

• Like 3

The question is intentionally incorrect, one-sided. Could you see yourself marrying with other/opposite religious stance (or absence of one, thereof)?

To answer the first - hands down, yes. To answer the second - since I don't have a chance in hell, it doesn't matter, but if I did, I'd try to be reasonable, to discuss on how much it would impact either of our lives and then probably quit anyway, because such topics either get stale quickly or just lead to bloodshed and are no way to live your longest sentence.

But wouldn't atheists have playstations??

We atheists have consoles because we refuse to believe Gabe Newell died for our sins sales.

• Like 2

The question is intentionally incorrect, one-sided. Could you see yourself marrying with other/opposite religious stance (or absence of one, thereof)?

The phrasing of the question represents the heart of how Christians (and overly religious people of a few other religions) view the world.  One-sided.  Narrow minded.  Us against them.  "How could you be with anything lesser than yourself?" was probably another question considered for the poll.

What's the preoccupation with atheists lately, OP? It's fine, but there is a specific topic to discuss religious issues.

As for the question: being an atheist myself I could easily marry one :rofl: . However, the fact the person was an atheist wouldn't have any bearing on whether I would marry or even like them. I wouldn't vote for a politician just because they were an atheist, either. If you are in a relationship with someone you'd consider marrying you'd think you'd know they were an atheist.

Oddly enough, religious institutions' interference with peoples' love lives is one reason why I dislike them so much. I know people who were otherwise in love being driven apart because of childish religious disagreements between parents, grandparents, and religious leaders.

As long as they don't cram their religion or lack there of in my face or use it to interfere with my life then I really don't care if their Athiest, Christian or Satanist or any other belief or disbelief. What one believes is their own personal thing and should be kept that way. It's when they force their beliefs is when problems occur with others, just discuss such topics with respect to others and you can have a normal, adult and enlightening convo sharing theories and perspectives where you both would get along just fine.

I don't have any concrete beliefs and don't believe that Religion should be the barrier of a relationship. Like seriously as if I'd let religion come between me and Alison Brie, that is just silly!

I'm an atheist and I couldn't imagine myself with a person of strong religious beliefs.

In fact, it's pretty much a flat 0% chance.

Also, your poll options are poor, so I didn't vote.

("Yes, I am atheist" would have had a good count...)

I am the only one who thinks that the question should be this way:

"Atheists: Could you see yourself marrying a religious person?"

Just saying...

I am not atheist but i have no real desire to believe in god, or any god.  Something might be out there, im not sure.  Anyways thats me, my wife is catholic, very devout catholic, its a touchy subject especally with the kids some times but it affects our relationship very little in the day to day. It took a little time for the inlaws to get over it but once they realized we loved one another and that I would make a good husband they went with it as well.  Personally I would not sweat it much, but again this me and not you.  Do what you feel is right.

Sorry. You are an Atheist.

My wife is a natural atheist -- the best kind.

Having never been indoctrinated in any way, she didn't have to later go through the process of returning to what is the default state of every human.

She simply doesn't "get" religion.

The fact that you can ask such a preposterous question in such a way, with a straight face, is a sad indictment of the theocratic state of the environment in which you live.

In most enlightened parts of the world it would be a total non-issue.

On the flipside, I don't think I could marry a religious person. 

Knowing that person's brain was wired for pure gullibility would make me really struggle to respect them.

I try to be open minded, but religious belief, and the pigheaded inter-religious conflict seems so ludicrous to me that I could not compromise.

• Like 2

You need another pole option:

Yes, because only those that are internally insecure care about religion and try to shove it down other peoples throats constantly or bicker about loved ones and friends lack there of.