Not impressed with Surface 2

As you may recall I had this problem with my Surface 2 after less than two weeks of owning it:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1195595-surface-2-update-ruined-my-tablet/

Well I sent it back to MS and finally got a replacement on Tuesday. Since then my new replacement, like its predecessor has done nothing but give me problems. Its doing this at least once a day now:

2iqlocm.jpg

Nice, Microsoft. Real nice.

At this point I just want to ask for a refund. These tablets are junk and Im not sending it back yet again just to wait two weeks to get another busted tablet.

Sorry to hear that bud, might be best, leave it too long and they no longer have to give you a refund

(Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1's are quite good tablets, unless you prefer iPads)

(My Note's well over a year old now, and still rocks)

Your thread title makes absolutely no sense.  You got 2 bad units, something that every piece of consumer electronics ever has had happen to it. Calling them "junk" because you had some bad luck.....

• Like 2

Your thread title makes absolutely no sense.  You got 2 bad units, something that every piece of consumer electronics ever has had happen to it. Calling them "junk" because you had some bad luck.....

Yeah, makes no sense. Obviously I should be really impressed and blown over by the fact that I've owned two Surface 2s in the past month and have had a 100% failure rate. Wow these things are just incredible I tell you.

I've been using a Surface 2 from work for the last month and a half.  We have 2 of them.  Neither of them have ever shown that type of problem.  The only issue I've really had with it is sometimes it doesn't "turn on" and I have to force a reboot, but that is kind of random.

I've been using a Surface 2 from work for the last month and a half.  We have 2 of them.  Neither of them have ever shown that type of problem.  The only issue I've really had with it is sometimes it doesn't "turn on" and I have to force a reboot, but that is kind of random.

This one also randomly shuts down. When I go to use it it has to go through startup, and once its running all my browser logins are reset.

Send it back, and get a replacement - you can escalate it with support, and see if they're willing to give you credit to the MS Store or something for downtime. Or, you could try asking for a full refund.

Bad luck, but it happens. My mother went though two Samsung laptops and and one HP before finally getting a machine that worked properly just two weeks ago.

• Like 1

Should have bought a Pro model like mentioned earlier, the base surface is not meant for any serious work, it's a locked down toy

Should have bought a Pro model like mentioned earlier, the base surface is not meant for any serious work, it's a locked down toy

It should still work. All I do on it is use IE and Office apps. I'm not dropping $900+ on a tablet just for that.

Err what?... He paid his hard earned money for a device that should work...

I could agree with you on the first failure. Sure mistakes happen and there is a defect rate on all manufactured electronics (commonly referred to as "yield" in the industry), but to have a replacement device also be jacked. There is no excuse for that. Microsoft is supposed to repair and test such devices.

I would be ****ed if I had to wait 2 weeks to have it fixed only to be another problem. I would return the device for a full refund and never look back. I don't care who made it. If I didn't show up for work for 2 weeks I'm sure I wouldn't still be employed... Microsoft wouldn't tolerate that with their money and I wouldn't with mine. You can though... To each his own.

It should still work. All I do on it is use IE and Office apps. I'm not dropping $900+ on a tablet just for that.

Actually more like $1200

Getting 64GB Pro model without accessories is suicide.

:)

try refreshing.... my s2 works flawlessly.

I would definitely try this and then send it back for a replacement if the problems persist. The OP has been quite unlucky but his problems aren't common.

The Surface 2 is a great tablet and, for many people, will do everything needed without having to buy the Surface Pro. Anyone who thinks it's a toy has obviously never used one.

Hello,

It does not sound like your unit was properly repaired.  Contact Microsoft Support and escalate the issue with them.  In this case, I think it is fair to request that they send you an advance replacement unit along with a pre-paid shipping label so you can return the un-repaired unit to them in the packaging for the ARU.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

As you may recall I had this problem with my Surface 2 after less than two weeks of owning it:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1195595-surface-2-update-ruined-my-tablet/

Well I sent it back to MS and finally got a replacement on Tuesday. Since then my new replacement, like its predecessor has done nothing but give me problems. Its doing this at least once a day now:

2iqlocm.jpg

Nice, Microsoft. Real nice.

At this point I just want to ask for a refund. These tablets are junk and Im not sending it back yet again just to wait two weeks to get another busted tablet.

So because you where very unlucky they're junk ? I can understand your sentiment as I'd be really ###### to if it happened to me, but logically it makes no sense. Every electronic device has a sub one percentage failure rate, you just happened to be very unlucky and end up with two of them, chances of a third are extremely slim.

Err what?... He paid his hard earned money for a device that should work...

I could agree with you on the first failure. Sure mistakes happen and there is a defect rate on all manufactured electronics (commonly referred to as "yield" in the industry), but to have a replacement device also be jacked. There is no excuse for that. Microsoft is supposed to repair and test such devices.

I would be ****ed if I had to wait 2 weeks to have it fixed only to be another problem. I would return the device for a full refund and never look back. I don't care who made it. If I didn't show up for work for 2 weeks I'm sure I wouldn't still be employed... Microsoft wouldn't tolerate that with their money and I wouldn't with mine. You can though... To each his own.

Most likely he got a grey box replacement, not a repaired one and thus it came from the factory and shouldn't need to be tested.

Most likely he has no consumer right to have it refunded at this point anyway.

You have serious anger issues

I would say he's entitled to be angry.  For the money you pay, it's unacceptable to have TWO units fail in a row.

That has sod all to do with a clear hardware failure.

I bought a Transformer Book T100TA.  It's an awesome device and i highly recommend it.  Full Windows 8.1 as well; no RT limitations.

###### happens. You're right to be angry but a sample size of two doesn't mean the whole lineup is ######. It just means you got two ###### units. I had to send my graphics card back twice because the fan on the replacement they gave me wasn't centered properly so it touched the sides. It's all fine now and I didn't tell everybody I knew that the whole series sucked just because of it.

• Like 2