cloud storage

The Security of Cloud is debatable, & what kind of security are looking for? if the Clouds are on American soil none of them are secure.

If you want security, you should encrypt your data before moving to cloud.

I'm not sure i would trust in a service hosted in NZ, because that country is part of the "Five Eyes".

Does anyone know cloud services based in countries like: Finland, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Ireland, Malta, Monaco or San Marino?

What exactly are storing that should be of concern if your government looked at it?

"because that country is part of the "Five Eyes""

I can understand concerns of identity theft, etc. Sorry but unless your living off the grid in some cabin in the middle of nowhere you give the government to what your doing pretty much the whole day. Every time you drive/walk past a security camera, use your credit card, make a phone call, use some discount card at your favorite store -- they know what brand of peanut butter you like.. So do your really give a ###### if they have access to a copy of your resume on the cloud?

You know what I store in the cloud.. I store applications that I might use on all my different boxes so they sync and now I have copies on each machine. I sync some work documents so I have a copy at home vs just on my work laptop. I have pictures from my phone and laptop sync there for storage and viewing, etc..

Who really gives a ###### if the government has access? Come on their is being worried about privacy, and taking precautions and then there is just tin foil hat wearing paranoia..

Volunteering your data to a 3rd party is exactly that, regardless of who they are or where they say they operate from. Its going over cables through hundreds of other computers and servers to get to the 'cloud' and will reside on the cloud server for eternity, but they claim you are in control of it. Look at the recent NSA revelations, digital locker closures, and Microsoft move to offer out-of-usa hosting for out-of-usa people. Its all an act to make you feel like you matter. If you want security, you can't also have convenience.

I'm not sure i would trust in a service hosted in NZ, because that country is part of the "Five Eyes".

Does anyone know cloud services based in countries like: Finland, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Ireland, Malta, Monaco or San Marino?

MegaUpload was based in HK, which should have been far far reach from the five eyes and was shut down.. so. The domain matters as much as where the server is located, so any service with .com .net or .org along with many others US verisign domains can be seized/shutdown at any time the US feels so.

I know you can buy servers in those countries and install cloud-software. Some refer to them as seedboxes as they use them as a torrent service, but no reason you can't get one for cloud service.

It depends on what you mean by secure. Do you mean from government snooping, or simply secure enough for the average person who doesn;t really care about the government gaining access?

For the latter, they're all fine as long as they're using encryption between your computer and them, which as far as I am aware, they all do.

For the former, none of those options (Google drive/dropbox/skydrive) are totally secure because the companies providing the service can access the data themselves and therefore can also provide it to the government on request. Mega was designed to be a secure alternative, but I personally don't trust it; I'll admit I haven't taken an in depth look at it, but at the time of its creation there were reports of various issues in the security of its design and implementation.

Spideroak on the other hand I have a lot of trust in. The data is stored on their servers in encrypted form, with yourself being the only one with the encryption key. It would be nice if it were open source so we could be absolutely sure in what it's doing, but it seems to be the best option available (without building your own).

To the OP: I'd recommend you do local encryption on your files (e.g. boxcryptor classic, etc.) and only store the encrypted version in the clouds if you are concerned about this sort of thing. I do that myself, but It isn't for government access, it's because I don't trust the storage providers to keep the files secure from hackers or my own-self to not lose my laptop at some point.

Another alternative is to use spideroak which supposedly only the user has the decryption key for.

Not to sound defeatist here, but you're not going to escape that level of surveillance.  Unless you're planning to run your own trans-Atlantic fibre paid-for with a crypto-currency and build your very own internet, good luck escaping the gaze of Big Brother. 

I don't know who you are, camuflage, but I suspect your greatest security is obscurity.

I guess the best bet is to setup own personal cloud with a NAS. I do not trust voluntarily off loading my personal data on someone else hard drive. 

www.mega.co.nz is secure, based in New Zealand and your files are encrypted from end to end. You get 50GB for free too ;)

While that sounds awesome and makes me wanna throw my Dropbox away, will the New Zealand-based server be fast enough for me as I live on exactly the opposite part of the world?

While that sounds awesome and makes me wanna throw my Dropbox away, will the New Zealand-based server be fast enough for me as I live on exactly the opposite part of the world?

This fast enough? I'm in the UK, 11,710 miles away. ;)

edit: and I just noticed they've launched a Windows desktop sync client ;) Off to try that out.

*(picture edited purely width ways to fit on screen here)

post-405-0-52792500-1390721388.png

I've been using owncloud on my own dedicated server for backup of important stuff I not want to loose, eg pictures, music, my ebook collection etc. It has encryption modules, has windows (pc) iOS and android apps to keep backups of new pictures etc that are entered into the backup file list.

There are also providers out there that also host this, and you can customised it to your needs with the various modules that are available for it.

Not to sound defeatist here, but you're not going to escape that level of surveillance.  Unless you're planning to run your own trans-Atlantic fibre paid-for with a crypto-currency and build your very own internet, good luck escaping the gaze of Big Brother. 

I don't know who you are, camuflage, but I suspect your greatest security is obscurity.

If people start to move out from the classic clouds storage that are mainly based in the US (dropbox, box, copy, skydrive etc) then those companies will have to change the way they provide their service is as simple as this. Penalize the five eyes companies so they can start doing something about it.

I don't expect to be totally anonymous or save that in an obscure thing, just want to move into a country that defends privacy in a better way. Maybe it's not important to you but might be important to other people to know there are alternatives.