• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 January 2014 - 22:08

First of all I'm not sure if this is even allowed to be discussed.  If not, I'm sorry, please close it.

A family member recently went though some issues with their significant other.  Part of the healing therapy was to install a keylogger on their computer for transparency between the couple to regrow trust.  They came to me since I'm the "techy" guy in the family but quite frankly I've never had any experience with a keylogger.  Are there legit keylogger programs?

Also, this is purely a technical questions.  I'd rather not get into whether the therapy is correct or not.

#2 ZeroFearX

ZeroFearX

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 January 2014 - 22:10

Snooping on others is probably illegal anyway. Therapy or not.

#3 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 25 January 2014 - 22:16

not if they have express permission from each other

is it for sites that are being visited?

reason i ask is you create an account with open DNS and it monitors every site that is accessed

we use it for the kids

#4 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 January 2014 - 22:17

There are keylogger programs out here. Not too sure if they are legal or not, but Softpedia has a few:

http://www.softpedia... logger&x=0&y=0

#5 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 25 January 2014 - 22:21

Tell them to change therapists. Installing a keylogger to "build trust" is a bad idea.

#6 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 25 January 2014 - 22:34

Overt use of keylogging is completely legal. Covert use is a legal grey area (and not so legal grey area if it was keylogging of your own machine and a random person who wasn't suppose to be using it was) depending what occurred -- it can either be closed book illegal or perhaps legal depending on the situation.

#7 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:32

I would personally never trust a piece of software designed to record every button I press on a computer. There are plenty of trojans that'll do that for you.

If you are serious, I would look in the direction to find a man-in-the-middle hardware device that will record the keystrokes to a microSD or something. Keyboard --> device --> computer. Even something like http://www.amazon.co...8/ref=pd_cp_p_0

#8 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:02

So the way to regrow trust would be to install a piece of software that says, "I don't trust you"?

The OP may not want to get into it, but if the trust level is this bad, then the relationship in question is for all practical purposes over.

#9 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:56

That's ridiculous. Who mandated that therapy?? Oh here's a good idea to rebuild trust. Install a keylogger to watch what the other does. That just breeds distrust. Sorry just read that you would rather not get into that.

You can order some cheap devices from eBay or just use a software based one. See if there is anything on SourceForge. 

#10 HighwayGlider

HighwayGlider

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:36

The guy asked for help regarding keyloggers. You can post your professional opinions about therapies in another thread. Damn, is english that hard to understand. You can use google translate.

#11 bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:37

Just say you can't help. Seriously you don't want to get involved in family issues such as this. It will end badly. Just say you don't know anything about key loggers and keep clear of it. I made the mistake of getting involved in something similar and it caused so much stress for me I almost needed a therapist.

#12 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:39

Have both parties clearly stated that they wish to have a keylogger installed?

Will this be on a terminal be used by other individuals not party to this agreement?

Finally allow me to ask the obvious. If you knew you every stroke was being monitored, would you use the computer inappropriately?

I would not be willing to supply you with a keylogger myself. I'm not saying you're making this up but i am saying there is opportunity for you to use such a thing for your own ends.

OffTopic: A therapist that suggests that this is a suitable way to restore trust is in my opinion a terrible therapist. I appreciate you didn't want that comment but what i'm saying is, i personally wouldn't go along with it.

#13 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:18

Tell them to change therapists. Installing a keylogger to "build trust" is a bad idea.

This, surveillance simply makes people rely more on surveillance tools.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 July 2014 - 13:03

This.  this won't build trust, it will break it down further. does this "therapist" even have a diploma or any credentials...

#15 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 05 July 2014 - 13:34

Legit would be this
http://www.spectorso...spector-pro.asp

I have used their corporate version for a few sites. This works great for kids computers or keeping an eye on your significant other