Windows 8.1 Update 1 Power Button On Start Screen

True that. But I think that the thought process of a normal consumer comes before the aesthetics of the icon. I think the normal consumer would be oblivious of the fact that the shutdown options are inside the user menu. There has to be an indication of a shutdown function if you ask me.

I agree and personally my first preference is for the power icon as well. However if push comes to shove having a combined menu isn't a bad alternative because all the options (Switch user, Log off, Lock, Shut down, Restart, Sleep, Hibernate) are clubbed together on the traditional Start menu's power button menu too.

I agree and personally my first preference is for the power icon as well. However if push comes to shove having a combined menu isn't a bad alternative because all the options (Switch user, Log off, Lock, Shut down, Restart, Sleep, Hibernate) are clubbed together on the traditional Start menu's power button menu too.

I still think that those options need to be in a separate menu and not the user menu.

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining since Windows has always had more than one visible way to shut down. Use whatever method suits you because it really shouldn't matter if Microsoft adds more ways to shut down. :)

Putting shoutdown in the charms bar is a great idea, for people who have addons running that disables the charm bar like alot of people :P
So in that regard, putting the shutdown button there on the metro screen is actually one of the smartest things M$ could do. 

Personal preference and hate/like a side....If there wasn't a problem, MS wouldn't be making these changes.  Personally, I think the shutdown is fine in the start button but I dont really care if they add it to the start screen.  Not going to hurt functionality or how I use the system.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

The Dude abides.... :)

gawd, this whole windows 8 business is such a mess from the get go. you can see no one really thought out the long term of how to implement metro and keep everyone happy. Now they have to fix this 'slap it together job', metro, desktop and old elements are thown together in a combination which makes me cringe. Steve jobs was right, MS simply doesn't have taste.

you can see no one really thought out the long term of how to implement metro and keep everyone happy.

So you know how to keep everyone happy? Because Steve Jobs sure as hell didn't. There will always be complaints no matter what Microsoft (or for that matter Apple) does.

Chill dude, you ought to know who I was quoting. :) I just meant that you think it looks bad, I think it looks fine, and never the twain shall meet. Microsoft can satisfy everyone by adding the options to the menu shown above. No power button since it seems to take up precious blank space for some people, and easy access to the options as well.

The menu already contains Lock and Sign out, so why not the power options too?

Ohhh The Big Lebowski, ok then sorry have never watched it. Guess you are right why not include the power options (in the drop down box). Just think there are more important things MS should be looking at on Windows 8.1 then the power options. 

Um. Windows 95 had a tutorial. So did Win98 (if I remember correctly), and XP!

There isn't two interfaces, the desktop is metro to. 

iOS and I belie OSX also has tutorials. 

I think you're misunderstanding my point. There is nothing wrong with tutorials, but an effective UI does not need tutorials, especially for basic operations (e.g. shutting the computer down). The most effective UIs help the user learn the interface as they're using it, think guided user on-boarding or useful defaults/presets, etc. Tutorials are useful when more advanced functionality needs to be learned -- those are typically not on the surface level (as they shouldn't be) and would need some level of guidance/instruction to be explored by the user.

The concern I was highlighting is that some of the more basic operations in Windows 8 are very difficult to find and do; e.g. shutting down the computer, switching apps, finding installed applications, managing the filesystem, etc.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. There is nothing wrong with tutorials, but an effective UI does not need tutorials, especially for basic operations (e.g. shutting the computer down). The most effective UIs help the user learn the interface as they're using it, think guided user on-boarding or useful defaults/presets, etc. Tutorials are useful when more advanced functionality needs to be learned -- those are typically not on the surface level (as they shouldn't be) and would need some level of guidance/instruction to be explored by the user.

The concern I was highlighting is that some of the more basic operations in Windows 8 are very difficult to find and do; e.g. shutting down the computer, switching apps, finding installed applications, managing the filesystem, etc.

The point is there is none. You're always going to need a tutorial when things change. No matter how "easy" or "hard" you perceive things to be. You could have the most "effective" UI in the world, and users would still need a tutorial.