Photo

How do you backup?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your main preference when backing up?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Where do you backup?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What media?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What exactly do you back up?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:18

Hello,

While something in a VM gets installed, I thought about this after reading a front page news article about how a guy went to save his Xbox...

How do you back up?

Now the poll is problably going to get redone a couple of times because I dont think Ive put all the options (they are also limited) but one thing I will not do is allow multiple choice. Now, I imagine most do several backups, one on-site and another off-site, but lets keep it to the perfered and/or one you do the most.

Please comment if there is some option that you would add :)

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:26

Need an option for both off and on-site, I'm sure I'm not the only one who does both.

That said, my usual backup routine includes mainly the "non-replacable" stuff.. everything that I already have on disc or whatever elsewhere I don't bother.  Does not include a "master image" of the entire file system after a full install, just so I don't have to go through the motions of installing a bajillion things over again if disaster hits, always do one of those for a new system before anything else.  Everything critical/personal gets backed up here, and business related stuff is also kicked off-site to another server I have elsewhere. 

#3 0sit0

0sit0

Live and let live

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:27

You forgot the "I don't back up" option.

#4 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:33

Hello,

Need an option for both off and on-site, I'm sure I'm not the only one who does both.

I mentioned this:

Now, I imagine most do several backups, one on-site and another off-site, but lets keep it to the perfered and/or one you do the most.

:)

#5 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:35

I mentioned this:

It's still both for me, one isn't preferred over the other as something can happen to either one ;)

#6 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:36

After walking foreword, I just reverse the process.

I use Acronis daily on my main SSD drive to a RAID1 array where I keep all my data.

#7 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:39

Dropbox 100GB plan, on local main desktop -  all important files kept here. Has revision restore and unlimited undelete (early adopter feature). Also running a off-site server which syncs to the same Dropbox account. Full sync.

Other data not in dropbox like large media files is on a Synology NAS RAID mirror - Local main desktop setup with SyncBackFree - http://www.2brightsp...eeware-hub.html which does a "Mirror", (one way sync) to the same remote off-site server which is running https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server and jobs setup to Mirror the Synology NAS over FTP to the off-site server.

Plus of course external drive which is mirrored once a month.

#8 AnotherITguy

AnotherITguy

Neowinian

• Phone: Iphone 5C 16GB

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:56

One Windows Home Server 2011 custom built appliance, it has 2 TB worth of storage for backups and it has another 2tb to backup the backup so to speak.

#9 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 26 January 2014 - 19:03

On-site, backup to Synology DS213 NAS. I backup everything (my entire drive), but I only care about documents/pictures/videos. I could care less about the other files. 

#10 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 26 January 2014 - 19:25

Documents and pictures I save on Skydrive.

I also keep a backup on a hard drive.

NSA also has a copy.

#11 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 January 2014 - 00:30

I switched around a lot between solutions but ive settled on System Center DPM because Acronis Arcserve and the rest are painfully slow to update their solutions.

Servers get a full backup once a week to a RAID 6 array (3 week retention)
Clients don't get a full backup as that's mosty wasted space when you start with a pre-made image with software already installed. I just backup the desktop & documents from them to the same RAID6 array.

Important stuff (media, application installers, original images and a copy of the custom images) is stored on another RAID6 array

#12 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 27 January 2014 - 00:45

My preference is both on-site and off-site.  There is no choice, they both happen at the same time.

#13 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:00

For me personally, I tend to go a little overboard, but then again I don’t think you can ever have too many backups.

Inside my computer I have 6 hard drives. 1 of which is used for backup. Every night all of my important things get backed up to that hard drive. At the same time I also have a carbonite subscription which I have about 20GB worth of information that gets backed up there.

Then I also bought 2 regular 3.5 3TB hard drives, to backup every drive on my system. I use it in conjunction with a Sata dock. 1 of the 3TB drives stays in my office, while the other drive gets put in a safety deposit box at the bank. Both drives get swapped monthly and both drives are never at my house at the same time.

The Sata dock via esata gives you native Sata speeds, thus making for a much faster backup.

The software I use is syncback SE, it’s configured never to delete from the backup and to update files which are new or that have changed. Thus the very first backup takes the longest, after that, not so much.

As far as my quickbooks company files I have versioning setup which saves 7 versions on a usb drive plugged into my Quickbooks laptop (Accessed from all computers via RDP) and 2 computers on my network. Which in turn gets grabbed by carbonite and my offsite backup.

#14 morebaker

morebaker

Neowinian

• Phone: nexus 5

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:31

external hdd usb key and cd

do not have much

#15 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:33

All irreplaceable files pushed to the Cloud :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!