Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise

I tried looking up a Lionhead employee count but they've never disclosed it. They laid off 10% of their employees back in 2012 but MGS planned to hire 100 new people across all their studios.

Wikipedia says ~100.

Ex-staffer's Linkedin says:

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stuwhyte

Well that at least leaves the door open to the possibility of BTS being able to work on more than one project at a time.

Now I will definitely be in the minority here, but i loved Halo Wars and could totally dig a RTS along the same lines made within the GoW universe.

Now I will definitely be in the minority here, but i loved Halo Wars and could totally dig a RTS along the same lines made within the GoW universe.

I'd welcome that a lot more than another TPS prequel. It'll be a struggle to make a hit though, no doubt about it. Halo Wars had a mixed reception and that is MGS' top game from a developer who specialized in RTS.

Having a GoW RTS flop could sink the studio in a single blow. I think we'll definitely be seeing another TPS, sadly.

I'd welcome that a lot more than another TPS prequel. It'll be a struggle to make a hit though, no doubt about it. Halo Wars had a mixed reception and that is MGS' top game from a developer who specialized in RTS.

Having a GoW RTS flop could sink the studio in a single blow. I think we'll definitely be seeing another TPS, sadly.

Well if gamers buy into it, I guess you can't blame them.

Slightly disappointed in this purely because I would've rather seen something new, as opposed to investing into a series that's already finished (story wise). 

Also, It sounds like Black Tusk may not have been working on a new IP but just creating tech demos for the most part (I'm thinking something similar to what Quantic Dream did with Kara).  That's not to say they don't have something on the side, just seems fairly unlikely at this point.

link

"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

"The studio has really been incubating different ideas over the past six to nine months on what they might work on," he said, "but the discussion with Epic obviously didn't start yesterday. We've been in this discussion for a while. The leadership team there has known for a while."

Well if gamers buy into it, I guess you can't blame them.

Yes I can, just like I blame CoD & its players for destroying FPS on consoles for an entire generation :laugh:

If Gears does turn out to be a XB1 exclusive.. it will give me another reason to pick up the XB1. I just hope they don't screw it up like what they did on Judgment. (Which thankfully I never did pick up that game lol). 

Yes I can, just like I blame CoD & its players for destroying FPS on consoles for an entire generation :laugh:

Blame the customers then, as I said.

If people want to play COD, so be it.

It is frustrating for those of us that have little or no interest in that or any other popular series.

I wonder what if they make something like BF with the Gears universe?  Just throwing out ideas, could have a simple SP with team based MP being the real goal going forward.

I could have sworn that it already was a Microsoft Studios game.

Yes. They were the publisher and Epic were the developers.

Black Tusk are now the developers and the game will still be published by Microsoft.

Plus Microsoft now own the IP. So they can do what they want with it. While before Epic owned the IP and had a certain say in things.

• 1 month later...

I think Gears translates into a competitive co-op MP game just fine, though I'm a SP fan first and foremost that's not to say it's 4 team setup can't be turned into a co-op type game or have more competitive MP going on.   Heck I think Gears can become more of a Battlefield type game as well, with commanders and a general leading large online forces vs other groups or w/e. 

But hey, if they make yet another SP and basic MP gears and it sells well I'm not complaining, I spent hours playing horde mode on MP.