• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 January 2014 - 15:08

I have a notebook which experiences (pointing device) issues on Windows 8.1

The original OS was Windows 7 and the official Asus-drivers of this Asus K72Jr are only Windows 7.

So, basically the inbuild - and upgraded - Windows Update drivers have been installed when needed.

I might disable the mousepad (for 98% the issue I guess), but the thing is... will the random freezes be over.

I can go back to Windows 7, but my question is:

- What are the main differences - besides Modern UI - to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1?

- Are these mostly security related? Is Windows 8.1 in that respect better/superior to Windows 7?

- Which OS do you guys recommend to use in 2014?

I work from within the Desktop enviroment, so the Modern UI isn't that big a deal for me.

#2 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 27 January 2014 - 15:23

I have a notebook which experiences (pointing device) issues on Windows 8.1

The original OS was Windows 7 and the official Asus-drivers of this Asus K72Jr are only Windows 7.

So, basically the inbuild - and upgraded - Windows Update drivers have been installed when needed.

I might disable the mousepad (for 98% the issue I guess), but the thing is... will the random freezes be over.

I can go back to Windows 7, but my question is:

- What are the main differences - besides Modern UI - to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1?

- Are these mostly security related? Is Windows 8.1 in that respect better/superior to Windows 7?

- Which OS do you guys recommend to use in 2014?

I work from within the Desktop enviroment, so the Modern UI isn't that big a deal for me.

8 is in my experience quicker than 7 - I upgraded my ASUS K54c laptop on the day 8 was released and it feels more responsive than 7.

I'd see if the ASUS drivers help the touchpad issues and performance - I actually use the Windows 7 drivers on my laptop running 8.1 and they work perfectly.

If you're still having a problem, I'd downgrade. As much as I love 8.x, if 7 is stable for you and does what you need and you work primarily on the desktop, I don't see a huge need to upgrade. 7 will be supported for years, and is still a rock solid OS.

#3 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2014 - 15:49

8 is in my experience quicker than 7 - I upgraded my ASUS K54c laptop on the day 8 was released and it feels more responsive than 7.

I'd see if the ASUS drivers help the touchpad issues and performance - I actually use the Windows 7 drivers on my laptop running 8.1 and they work perfectly.

If you're still having a problem, I'd downgrade. As much as I love 8.x, if 7 is stable for you and does what you need and you work primarily on the desktop, I don't see a huge need to upgrade. 7 will be supported for years, and is still a rock solid OS.

I had the opposite experience with my Asus K53E, Windows 7 felt faster, but the deciding factor for me was the inability to change fonts in Windows 8. The text looked like crap, granted 1366x768 isnt the best resolution either.

I used the Windows 7 drivers from the Asus site, at first but then upgraded as they released drivers for Win 8. That said, I have the Elantech touchpad, that seemed to work better with the default Windows 7/8 drivers, than the ones supplied by Asus. I did loose the "advanced features" that I never used... I almost always used a mouse.

I am now back to Windows 7 (it's the font thing, I cannot stand the Windows default font), and everything is working great and as DConnell said it has support for many years to come.

Is Windows 8 MORE secure? Maybe, but it's still Windows and its users are still running admin accounts by default (wait, does 8 still do that?) and the biggest problem still lies between the keyboard and the chair.

#4 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 27 January 2014 - 15:58

I have reinstalled the Elantech drivers... let's just see how this goes.

For the daily usage I really do like Windows 8.1, fast and stable (besides this hopefully driver-thingy).

Plus, on my other computer I also have Windows 8.1 so the interfaces and things you can do with it remain the same on both computers.... And I like to have everything up to date with the latest and greatest!

#5 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 27 January 2014 - 16:02

I have reinstalled the Elantech drivers... let's just see how this goes.

For the daily usage I really do like Windows 8.1, fast and stable (besides this hopefully driver-thingy).

Plus, on my other computer I also have Windows 8.1 so the interfaces and things you can do with it remain the same on both computers.... And I like to have everything up to date with the latest and greatest!

Syncing settings and info between systems is a nice feature. Sounds like you might want to go with a mouse if the trackpad issue can't be resolved. I use a mouse 99% of the time even on my laptop.

#6 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:10

Syncing settings and info between systems is a nice feature. Sounds like you might want to go with a mouse if the trackpad issue can't be resolved. I use a mouse 99% of the time even on my laptop.

I already have a separate mouse. And I use this in 99% of the time.

The question is: what if I disable the trackpad in the Device Manager. Will this solve the probleem and will everything related to it be ignored by Windows..... I guess not. Or am I misstaken?

#7 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 February 2014 - 18:33

I have always preferred mice to trackpads, even on notebooks and laptops, and even to the slick TrackPoint which originally appeared on original IBM (Windows 3.x-era!) ThinkPads - and is on Lenovo (and even some HP) notebooks today.  My preferred pointing device overall is, in fact, "supposedly" a mouse for portables - the Logitech V220 Cordless - however, that hasn't prevented it from being my desktop pointing device of choice, BY choice.

#8 TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 17:56

There are a number of differences, such as the Ribbon in Explorer, SkyDrive is integrated in Explorer, the system seems more responsive, Aero Glass has gone, start menu is replaced by Modern UI (I think it is cool...)... just  a few off the top of my head.

I would recommend Windows 8.1.

Security is better, but it isn't all about that.

I loved Windows 7, but I wouldn't go back now.

Don't be put off by all the whiners... Try Modern UI for a while. After a little playing, I found it much better.

Even without a touch screen. Then I got a touch screen monitor and after playing for a while, I hardly use it now.

It may be worth a Google or Bing for tips and tricks... there is probably loads that I have missed!

#9 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:00

Software compatibility is largely the same as 7. Some differences not applicable to every setup include:

Better multi-monitor support - most notably more choices over how to display the taskbar and tasks.
Drag and drop support in the Explorer breadcrumb bar.
File History, for scheduling backups for attached drives.
Microsoft-linked accounts for syncing settings, and Skydrive integration for syncing files between multiple computers.
A better task manager.
Windows 8 has more built-in functions (though many of these are by way of Metro apps) including the ability to view and annotate PDFs.

#10 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:11

Did you say that you upgraded 7 to 8? have you tried a fresh install?

#11 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:39

Don't be put off by all the whiners...

It always makes me chuckle as to how sensitive fans of Windows 8 can be. I tried the Modern UI "for a while" and decided to go back to Windows 7. No harm. No foul. People should use the OS that suits them best. In the end, it's about getting things done. I see no reason to criticize others because they don't agree with you, sir/madam.

But then again, I shouldn't expect respectful debate on the internet, should I?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!