Why is there a performance gap between the X1 + PS4....

There is no big performance gap like people seem to think exists. For one the developers don't know how to optimize for the new consoles yet. As for the whole Tomb Raider thing is that it was ported by 2 very different studios. One studio has done mostly playstation games for about 10 years I think and the other has been doing xbox games for about 3 or 4 years (maybe more I am just going off the top of my head). Give it some time. Hardware wise there is a very tiny distance.

that kinda what i was getting at in a round about way.

Tbh mate i was trying see if you have the intelligence to understand this stuff.. any idiot can spout out what someone else has said. If you have the inteelligence to hear it, understand it and give your own exampoles fair enough ill acknowledge ya, otherwise justa copy cat

The links I gave you provide one of the best explanations available on the web with as little bias as possible.  I'm not going to waste time out of my evening to summarize it even further (it's been talked about ad nauseum on these forums) when you've already admitted to being drunk.  In the time you took to attempt to insult me, you could have read both articles.

Pro tip: If you're searching for information and decide to insult intelligence of those who are kind enough to provide you with the answers, you should probably learn how to spell the word "intelligence" first, along with the rest of the English language.

• Like 1

The links I gave you provide one of the best explanations available on the web with as little bias as possible.  I'm not going to waste time out of my evening to summarize it even further (it's been talked about ad nauseum on these forums) when you've already admitted to being drunk.  In the time you took to attempt to insult me, you could have read both articles.

Pro tip: If you're searching for information and decide to insult intelligence of those who are kind enough to provide you with the answers, you should probably learn how to spell the word "intelligence" first, along with the rest of the English language.

i actually read both articles in less time whislt drunk to be honest but it still doesnt ask my basic question... without knowing the throughput and saturation of the memory systems in both consoles as a purely hardware based solution im was trying find out if there was room for improvemmnt on a hardware level. The PS4 not so much cus its basically brute force like a PC but with alot of optimsation which pushes it further than equiv PC, but X1 archittcture is massivley complex and theres alot of room for improvement and shouldnt be counted out. Thats was my point tbh

Doesn't it come down to how a developer programs a game? I remember certain developers (like Rare) accomplished near-impossible feats in terms of programming back on the SNES/64. Today's developers are fortunate to not have to program in assembly and be able to take advantage of extremely powerful hardware.

well i dont know tbh im not a game dev, but i dont know much about about. im insterested in the technology behind it all not particuklarly what give more frames sony HSA, MS pfft complex way of doing things that what in instersted in tbh but ya know if im wrong fair enough im wrong at least ill admit it

well i dont know tbh im not a game dev, but i dont know much about about. im insterested in the technology behind it all not particuklarly what give more frames sony HSA, MS pfft complex way of doing things that what in instersted in tbh but ya know if im wrong fair enough im wrong at least ill admit it

How and where in my posts am I trying to prove you wrong?  I like everyone else in this thread said that the difference doesn't matter as devs will get used to utilizing the full abilities of both consoles over time.  Then you whined about wanting technical specs and explanations- which several people gave, and whined about that lol.

Lolwut?  How and where in my posts am I trying to prove you wrong?  I like everyone else in this thread said that the difference doesn't matter as devs will get used to utilizing the full abilities of both consoles over time.  Then you whined about wanting technical specs and explanations- which several people gave, and whined about that lol.

The people earlier in the thread said it best:  You're just a troll.

I dont want technical spec cus i know them, would liek to know bandwidth of the memory to see if it s being underutilized/over utilized but thats a pure curiosity thats it then for say X1 can tell if there will be improvemetn on a hardware level, sonys is brute force like aPC but ya know i give up. Im a PC guy consoles hardware for me is a technical massive achievement in what there doing but ya know i give up with ya so dunno wjhat else to say

I have feeling that PC this generation will have massive advantage we already starting to see games where they will blow both consoles out the water.  Even some some developers are shunning the consoles. If you look at games like star citizen and the unreal 4 engine looks massively inferior on both consoles.  I don't really see very much innovation with the new consoles you just get slightly better graphics with the PS4 thats it.  With the PC in two years will have occulus rift this will be major advancement.

I have feeling that PC this generation will have massive advantage we already starting to see games where they will blow both consoles out the water.  Even some some developers are shunning the consoles. If you look at games like star citizen and the unreal 4 engine looks massively inferior on both consoles.  I don't really see very much innovation with the new consoles you just get slightly better graphics with the PS4 thats it.  With the PC in two years will have occulus rift this will be major advancement.

yh not just oculus rift (which cant be ingnored cus valve are testing there own protoytpoe) but the star citizen start of  4k gaming

well SC will end up with a modified version in CryEngine 4, and have ya seen it its glorious, they started with cryengine 3 cus thats what was availble, if this game relwase in 18 moths i woukld care as long as the eye cndy was there and sure the PC to run it would cost 3-5x more than the consoles BUTS WHY WERE HARDCORE HOOORAH!!!!

I just do not think anyone is going to be able honestly answer this unless they were part of XO design team.  Maybe after people have had time to really tear the hardware down and reverse engineer it.  Right now I think its just a lot of people trying to make guesses regardless how much understanding they have of computer components.

Calm down everyone, psionicinversion's intentions were in the right place. Believe it or not this topic is actually one of the first things I suggested to the staff when I was made moderator. Not because I want to see flame/troll bait comments or fighting, but to contain the discussion in one topic and make it a valuable discussion. Back in November it was the height of PS4 vs X1 tech specs leading up to launch, so every topic descended into the usual bickering. We decided it would be too difficult to "enforce" everyone to use the one topic for the discussion in the end, but I'm glad psionicinversion made it.

Unfortunately there a lot of downsides to the discussion at the same time and that is because as consumers we simply don't have the access to the hardware and diagnosis of their capabilities. Brendeth really said it best in that unless you work at a studio you can't offer the proper insight needed and we can only go off what developers tell the press or during developer panels. It won't be until the end of the generation when we finally get a better understanding of the hardware from the consumer side and it's far too early in the generation for that.

That said, please keep the conversation alive if you have something valuable to add and if you can't offer anything construtive to the discussion, please refrain from posting/derailing it.

Topic cleaned

It's simple and complex, simple terms are faster memory/gpu. Complex is more about how the gap may not be representative right now of how it will truly be as software needs optimized. However you can't argue against the hardware specs, they're comparable now more so than any other generation where vastly different architecture was used. One simply has innards that will produce higher benchmarks.