Source 2 / Left 4 Dead 3 slides leak

I like that Valve don't release a Half Life game every year, or every other year like most game series. However given its 6+ years since Episode 2 i would love another Half Life game now!

I happened to see the gaf thread right when it started, and watched it just explode, and perhaps I just do not follow gaming like I once did, but I do not get what the big deal is here? That it is going to be announced soon? Or that they are working on it?

If it is the latter, is that really such a surprise?

The slides from SDD are due to be released at some point, seems legit to me.

The small text slide in the bottom left corner also seems to talk about new tooling with a powerful new GUI frontend, which fits with "leaked" icon assets and probably describes a Python/Qt frontend like Source Filmmaker uses.

Another leak that's flying around currently, take this one with a heap of salt - but does seem to match the slide content.

Would also make sense for Valve to port their MP titles (being the most actively patched) over to Source 2, drop the DirectX9 + DX9-on-GL codepaths for a single unified OpenGL codepath.

F5zM4Vr.png

I happened to see the gaf thread right when it started, and watched it just explode, and perhaps I just do not follow gaming like I once did, but I do not get what the big deal is here? That it is going to be announced soon? Or that they are working on it?

If it is the latter, is that really such a surprise?

When it comes to Valve I think people get pretty excited to hear they're working on anything at all, seeing as they are so secretive. It could be a name or a logo or a screenshot and people would flip lol.

We already knew Source 2 was in dev, GabeN told 4Chan when they went to Valve offices on/around his birthday. This news may mean our first experience of it will be L4D3, and maybe sooner than HL3.

Interesting, they might actually release updated builds of Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress and Dota 2 with Source 2. That'd also explain why they're not interested in releasing patches to fix obvious issues in the Linux version of L4D2.

There's 20 slides and the 14th one is selected. This slide talks about Source engine 2 and Left for Dead 2.

(20-14)/2 = 3

It's happening guys. I told ya HL 3 is coming soon.

• Like 2

There's 20 slides and the 14th one is selected. This slide talks about Source engine 2 and Left for Dead 2.

(20-14)/2 = 3

It's happening guys. I told ya HL 3 is coming soon.

Hahahaha, I didn't even catch that. It could also be a hinted announcement date, perhaps 2-2-2014?

Even if this is a legit slideshow from Valve, all it proves is that Source 2 is being produced and they remade a level in LFD2 to show that off, it doesn't really prove the existence of a third game. In saying that I'd love a third game and an amazing Source 2 engine in the hands of more devs!

When it comes to Valve I think people get pretty excited to hear they're working on anything at all, seeing as they are so secretive. It could be a name or a logo or a screenshot and people would flip lol.

We already knew Source 2 was in dev, GabeN told 4Chan when they went to Valve offices on/around his birthday. This news may mean our first experience of it will be L4D3, and maybe sooner than HL3.

That's actually been widely reported already. Fans who visited Valve took a photo that showed developers chatting about Left4Dead 3, and leaked information from a Valve server showed development groups for both Source 2 and Left4Dead 3.

That makes me think this could be a well-researched hoax, but obviously it also means this could be legit. It's really impossible to know based on what little these PowerPoint screenshots show.

That's actually been widely reported already. Fans who visited Valve took a photo that showed developers chatting about Left4Dead 3, and leaked information from a Valve server showed development groups for both Source 2 and Left4Dead 3.

That makes me think this could be a well-researched hoax, but obviously it also means this could be legit. It's really impossible to know based on what little these PowerPoint screenshots show.

We all know Source 2, L4D3, HL3, a new counter strike and new or revamped version or Team Fortress and Dota will happen sooner than later unless Valve is totally stupid.

Of course Valve main focus is now Steam. But the best way to "sell" a platform is still to make exclusive first party titles for it (i.e. not avalaible on Origin or Uplay).

Valve would be totally nuts to not be working on Source 2 and Source 2 games right now. Saying Source 2 will happen in the next 5 years to me is like saying the birds can fly and the sun will rise tomorrow.

We all know Source 2, L4D3, HL3, a new counter strike and new or revamped version or Team Fortress and Dota will happen sooner than later unless Valve is totally stupid.

Of course Valve main focus is now Steam. But the best way to "sell" a platform is still to make exclusive first party titles for it (i.e. not avalaible on Origin or Uplay).

Valve would be totally nuts to not be working on Source 2 and Source 2 games right now. Saying Source 2 will happen in the next 5 years to me is like saying the birds can fly and the sun will rise tomorrow.

The point was that the Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 development teams were bigger than the other development teams, implying they're the focus at Valve.

The point was that the Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 development teams were bigger than the other development teams, implying they're the focus at Valve.

Valve doesn't really have a "focus" as a company, but rather a selection of projects that people have the most passion for.

As far as the authenticity of the material in this thread, it would have to be one of the most well-timed, well-researched hoaxes in history, even down to the fine detail such as the toolset.

I remember reading that news on Gaf/Reddit.

Pretty mellow for a hoax though. If CBOAT wanted to really create hype he could have went with HL3.

I wouldn't expect a new CS anytime soon. CS:GO is just taking off in the pro circuit after a very cold reception. If anything they'll port it to Source 2.0, but I doubt they'll have a new installment.

I wouldn't expect a new CS anytime soon. CS:GO is just taking off in the pro circuit after a very cold reception. If anything they'll port it to Source 2.0, but I doubt they'll have a new installment.

Pretty much this, CS:GO is more or less CS2 anyway with the scope of changes made.  (Especially when you consider how stagnant CS has been)

As I said earlier, I suspect it's likely Valve will port their various active MP titles over to Source 2 to minimise code drift + bloat, aid the Linux ports and improve performance in general.

I'm hoping for a single OpenGL based renderer, proper real time lighting, deferred rendering and a streaming style map format.

I'm thinking the whole Source 2 work grew out of the original EP3 work. Gabe said they were working on EP3 alongside EP2, and even though Valve does have a lax environment, I doubt they'd go 5 years without making anything to show.

Looking forward to HL3 Im old now and HL1 is a distant memory, a new slice of Mesa would be Awesome.

This, Not so much, It doesn't even look dynamic, looks flat, Star citizen graphics is what im looking for now, I cant run them but that's not the point.