rumour valve source 2.0 left 4 dead 3

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• 3,427 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 16:28

and leaked information from a Valve server showed development groups for both Source 2 and Left4Dead 3.

And Half-Life 3 too, if I recall correctly.

#17 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,523 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 16:47

That's actually been widely reported already. Fans who visited Valve took a photo that showed developers chatting about Left4Dead 3, and leaked information from a Valve server showed development groups for both Source 2 and Left4Dead 3.

That makes me think this could be a well-researched hoax, but obviously it also means this could be legit. It's really impossible to know based on what little these PowerPoint screenshots show.

We all know Source 2, L4D3, HL3, a new counter strike and new or revamped version or Team Fortress and Dota will happen sooner than later unless Valve is totally stupid.

Of course Valve main focus is now Steam. But the best way to "sell" a platform is still to make exclusive first party titles for it (i.e. not avalaible on Origin or Uplay).

Valve would be totally nuts to not be working on Source 2 and Source 2 games right now. Saying Source 2 will happen in the next 5 years to me is like saying the birds can fly and the sun will rise tomorrow.

#18 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,279 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 28 January 2014 - 16:58

My bet would on L4D3 first, then Portal 3, TF3 and then HL3 (HL3 coming out around 5 yrs at this rate)

#19 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

• 3,404 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 17:13

Come on L4D3 and TF3. Please? I am one of the few that care very little about HL3.

#20 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,305 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 18:40

We all know Source 2, L4D3, HL3, a new counter strike and new or revamped version or Team Fortress and Dota will happen sooner than later unless Valve is totally stupid.

Of course Valve main focus is now Steam. But the best way to "sell" a platform is still to make exclusive first party titles for it (i.e. not avalaible on Origin or Uplay).

Valve would be totally nuts to not be working on Source 2 and Source 2 games right now. Saying Source 2 will happen in the next 5 years to me is like saying the birds can fly and the sun will rise tomorrow.

The point was that the Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 development teams were bigger than the other development teams, implying they're the focus at Valve.

#21 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,928 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 18:48

The point was that the Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 development teams were bigger than the other development teams, implying they're the focus at Valve.

Valve doesn't really have a "focus" as a company, but rather a selection of projects that people have the most passion for.

As far as the authenticity of the material in this thread, it would have to be one of the most well-timed, well-researched hoaxes in history, even down to the fine detail such as the toolset.

#22 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,719 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 19:42

That's actually been widely reported already. Fans who visited Valve took a photo that showed developers chatting about Left4Dead 3, and leaked information from a Valve server showed development groups for both Source 2 and Left4Dead 3.

That makes me think this could be a well-researched hoax, but obviously it also means this could be legit. It's really impossible to know based on what little these PowerPoint screenshots show.

I remember reading that news on Gaf/Reddit.

Pretty mellow for a hoax though. If CBOAT wanted to really create hype he could have went with HL3.

I wouldn't expect a new CS anytime soon. CS:GO is just taking off in the pro circuit after a very cold reception. If anything they'll port it to Source 2.0, but I doubt they'll have a new installment.

#23 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,928 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 21:30

I wouldn't expect a new CS anytime soon. CS:GO is just taking off in the pro circuit after a very cold reception. If anything they'll port it to Source 2.0, but I doubt they'll have a new installment.

Pretty much this, CS:GO is more or less CS2 anyway with the scope of changes made.  (Especially when you consider how stagnant CS has been)

As I said earlier, I suspect it's likely Valve will port their various active MP titles over to Source 2 to minimise code drift + bloat, aid the Linux ports and improve performance in general.

#24 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,292 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 22:11

I'm hoping for a single OpenGL based renderer, proper real time lighting, deferred rendering and a streaming style map format.

I'm thinking the whole Source 2 work grew out of the original EP3 work. Gabe said they were working on EP3 alongside EP2, and even though Valve does have a lax environment, I doubt they'd go 5 years without making anything to show.

#25 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• 2,273 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 22:27

Looking forward to HL3 Im old now and HL1 is a distant memory, a new slice of Mesa would be Awesome.

This, Not so much, It doesn't even look dynamic, looks flat, Star citizen graphics is what im looking for now, I cant run them but that's not the point.

#26 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,305 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 13:37

Valve doesn't really have a "focus" as a company, but rather a selection of projects that people have the most passion for.

As far as the authenticity of the material in this thread, it would have to be one of the most well-timed, well-researched hoaxes in history, even down to the fine detail such as the toolset.

Yes, I've read the interviews and articles as well, but that still makes something a focus. They're not going to get 100 people working on a project only to all abandon ship because their "passion" changes -- there would be good reason why they'd stop developing that project, such as it not coming together as planned.

#27 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,928 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 18:48

Yes, I've read the interviews and articles as well, but that still makes something a focus. They're not going to get 100 people working on a project only to all abandon ship because their "passion" changes -- there would be good reason why they'd stop developing that project, such as it not coming together as planned.

I disagree. While they likely wouldn't outright abandon a project for such reasons, the downsizing of the Dota 2 cabal post-TI3 certainly indicates that passion/enthusiasm has a big part to play.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!