[Debunked] "Industry insider" CBOAT is actually NeoGAF moderator

Update:

First I have to say, that I feel terrible and that giving screenshots to CBOAT was a stupid idea.
I'm in contact with Valve whom I explained everything and sincerely apologized for what I've done.
I have to live with every consequence out of this.

But now, things got personal yesterday and during the night.
I've got not so nice emails and apart from already having ****ed off Valve, the idea that I might be CBOAT apparently drew Microsoft people to me, which, honestly, makes me afraid.
That is why I felt the need to make this thread.

So again: I'm not CBOAT and I don't know who he is. (He even writes PMs in that obfuscated way)
People should know (especially MisterX), that I was and still am one of the biggest Xbox One supporters on NeoGaf.
I was even banned multiple times because of this. I only was CBOATs source for this particular leak which doesn't have anything to do with that silly MS vs. Sony console war.
I PMed him a dropbox link to that screenshot and he uploaded it directly from that link.
The source of the upload is saved by that image hoster and one user here found that connection which basically outed me as CBOATs source.
How people can spin the theory that I'm a mod and CBOAT in union out of this, still goes over my head.

To answer the open question on why I redacted older posts:
After one user found the connection between me and CBOAT I deleted all references to my Dropbox account simply to protect my identity.
Every user here can edit his/her own posts even years after they were made.

So please - make that witch hunt stop :(

P.S. Sorry to all the mods for causing so much trouble and workload.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759779

Original Story:

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/153933.html

I haven't no, but good thing I put that rumour tag :rofl:

Love a good rumour/conspiracy but that blog is pretty mental! I'll give the OP a good read when I'm back home at 10.

And FTR, IE9 sucks donkey willy! Only thing I can use here.

I really have to question why you guys care about this stuff :laugh: I suppose everyone has to have a hobby and following this stuff so close could be one.

This is why I don't follow places like NeoGAF. Drama for gamers I guess.

Any important news makes its way out of places like that eventually anyway.

• Like 3

Love a good rumour/conspiracy but that blog is pretty mental! I'll give the OP a good read when I'm back home at 10.

And FTR, IE9 sucks donkey willy! Only thing I can use here.

HEY, don't hate on ie 9, at least it had the nicer scrollbar compared to 10 :p

NeoGAF is one of those places you go when you want to see stuff that supports your preconceived idea of the competition. Kind of like people who prefer Fox News or MSNBC.

Even Neowin is like that to some degree, but at least here you have somewhat worthwhile discussion about it.

NeoGAF is one of those places you go when you want to see stuff that supports your preconceived idea of the competition. Kind of like people who prefer Fox News or MSNBC.

Even Neowin is like that to some degree, but at least here you have somewhat worthwhile discussion about it.

While I am not really an active member there I do read the forums daily, and I think it is interesting how Neogaf has gotten this label as being pro Sony when I think they are actually just pro-Gamer. MS just has had more missteps over the past couple of years than Sony has, especially as of late, and I think those gamers like myself who have no allegiance to any companies and just support those companies when they do right by the gamer are pretty much in agreement this is the truth of the situation. It has nothing to do with preferring one company over the other, and everything to do with just seeing the reality of situations. So people choose to support Sony more because of this, at this point in time I include myself on that list, yet they are labeled as pro Sony when the truth is they are just pro Gamer. Sony just happens to have done a better job for the gamer from a strictly gaming perspective. There have also been plenty of threads over the years there that are super critical of Sony as well. Again, pro gamer, so everyone is fair game.

As far as this whole "conspiracy" it is my understanding that anytime anyone has a rumor or bomb to drop such as those that CBOAT drops, they have to run it all past a mod first before posting and they need to provide some proof, etc. So that would explain the dropbox account by a Mod pretty easily. Who knows at the end of the day, but I do think it is a ridiculous theory started by someone who clearly is on one side of the fence and does not like the fact Gaf tends to lean towards the other side of the fence.

• Like 1

While I am not really an active member there I do read the forums daily, and I think it is interesting how Neogaf has gotten this label as being pro Sony when I think they are actually just pro-Gamer. MS just has had more missteps over the past couple of years than Sony has, especially as of late, and I think those gamers like myself who have no allegiance to any companies and just support those companies when they do right by the gamer are pretty much in agreement this is the truth of the situation. It has nothing to do with preferring one company over the other, and everything to do with just seeing the reality of situations. So people choose to support Sony more because of this, at this point in time I include myself on that list, yet they are labeled as pro Sony when the truth is they are just pro Gamer. Sony just happens to have done a better job for the gamer from a strictly gaming perspective. There have also been plenty of threads over the years there that are super critical of Sony as well. Again, pro gamer, so everyone is fair game.

As far as this whole "conspiracy" it is my understanding that anytime anyone has a rumor or bomb to drop such as those that CBOAT drops, they have to run it all past a mod first before posting and they need to provide some proof, etc. So that would explain the dropbox account by a Mod pretty easily. Who knows at the end of the day, but I do think it is a ridiculous theory started by someone who clearly is on one side of the fence and does not like the fact Gaf tends to lean towards the other side of the fence.

I can see what you mean, as I've speculated the same thing.

Honestly though from my browsing and posting (with 2 bans which weren't deserved and weren't TOS breaking), it's a very bias community at the minute with every thread pro-MS receives 3 pages of turning any content inside it to puns. Even the most recent TF thread with the DF analysis was painful to read.

I feel like its more the status of the boards and the most-active feeling a false sense of self-worth. It's more destructive to the console community than constructive.

I know two wrongs don't make a right but the same "hate" was directed at Sony last gen for the few years and they got their stuff together to deliver great games and the PS4. Funny how some people act when the shoe is on the other foot.

Forums like NeoGAF have a problem handling good or bad news.

Its not that they are biased to one side, but too many in the community take news too far. So a positive and negative threads get derailed for all sorts of reasons.

Right now, the tide is on the side of Sony thanks to good things they did. During the last gen, the tide was on the side of MS for the same reason.

The problem is that 'the tide' contains people that find it impossible to handle positive or negative news that flies in the face of their opinion.

I know two wrongs don't make a right but the same "hate" was directed at Sony last gen for the few years and they got their stuff together to deliver great games and the PS4. Funny how some people act when the shoe is on the other foot.

Its not just two wrongs. Its like ten wrongs :laugh:

Its a pattern that existed before last gen. But, those people that stir up trouble just don't want to learn and once they do go away, there seems to be an endless replacement supply.

I really have to question why you guys care about this stuff :laugh: I suppose everyone has to have a hobby and following this stuff so close could be one.

This is why I don't follow places like NeoGAF. Drama for gamers I guess.

Any important news makes its way out of places like that eventually anyway.

Couldn't agree more.

I love games and love to know lots of details about the games/consoles/computers.

but really some drama on another forum... who actually cares? It feels like school.

My first thought when i saw this thread was "why is this on Neowin?" :laugh:

• Like 3

Both spot on posts. Literally can't put it any better.

To add, I think it's actually in Microsoft's best interest to take the abuse they've received, and by that I mean constructive feedback, not trolling. The people who defend them and apologise for them actually make a worse console for all of us. People seriously need to stop that, this forum included. I have given Sony more than their fair share of it last generation as some of the old timers know, but thank god I and others did because look where they are now. I honestly believe if it wasn't for the difficulties the PS3 went through, we would not all be praising them today. MS lost their way at the end of the 360 life cycle and obviously the X1 development in the background. They paid for it heavily in 2013 but luckily clawed back a lot before launch. Still some ways to go. Certainly a lot of work still to do. Sony too aren't in the clear, at least as far as fiancials/Vita are considered.

• Like 2

Manufactured tripe to 'grip' the idiotic public that's clamoring for intrigue and preoccupying banter - while drawing clicks and visits and the like.

Also, a person has people saying they are someone else, then they deny being someone else, and that's good enough?

This smells like crappy middle school antics. Freaking grow up, world. Stop all this dumbed down behavior and do something good for once. Turn your investigative and angsty powers towards something productive.

misterXmedia? I'd forgotten about that site - just had a good read of it now. Part of me does want to believe that stuff about second GPU or whatever because the story behind it would be cool, but the whole hysterical persecution complex that that blog has is rather off-putting.