Halo 2 Anniversary on Xbox One & other future plans leak

Source is a new "insider" on NeoGAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760013

A bunch. I'm gonna take it a little easy because I'm sure someone is, or will be pounding their fist into a mahogany desk overlooking the Redmond campus.

What has me excited right now is the revisiting of Halo. So later this year we're gonna get Halo 2 Anniversary edition WITH ALL SORTS OF ####. On Xbox One. November 11th!

Halo 2 Anniversary Edition
-
Halo 5 beta access
Halo real time show... think Forward Unto Dawn (not the Spielberg stuff)
Someone told me there was going to be an alternative ####ing ending. <-- I have zero info as to whether this is legitimate or not

So Halo 5 Beta access? If this is true I think that means we won't be seeing Halo 5 until next year now.

If this is true then maybe or they release it in December after a short beta.

Wow, this escalated quickly :|

Andy/George, can you rename this thread or do we start another?

If you're joining the thread then this Bish-verified insider ntkrnl has been UNLEASING THE BOMBS.

Here's all the stuff so far he's said in this thread:

• Forza Horizon: "Fall 2014, probably September. Super sexy weather system and... ###### tons of co-op/social stuff. 1080P and open-world, so you can road trip with your bros."
  • White Xbone incoming.
  • Why all the leaks? Scared you might get caught? "I am incapable of fear. Plus, this is such exciting stuff, and me talking about it ahead of time isn't going to hurt anything, truthfully. We're all chomping at the bit for it to come out. This is not bad. "
  • Halo Anniversary 2 will be 1080p, iffy on the 60fps, maybe not.
  • Quantum Break is Holiday 2014
  • Multiplayer confirmed for HA2, same devs as Halo Anniversary.
  • Sunset Overdrive is Fall 2014
  • Is not Phil Spencer
  • Black Tusk cancelled project was called "Shangheist." May have involved stealing stuff from the Chinese (though I think that may have been a reference to the name and maybe not the gameplay? Not sure...)
  • Fable Legends is Summer 2015
  • Halo 2 Anniversary includes beta for Halo 5
  • Gears of War will probably need a 2.5 year dev time.
  • First Titanfall DLC is 45 days from release, then another one 120 days from release.
  • No Crackdown 3 news this year most likely, since it's a 2016 title.
  • A list w/dates of the rest of the Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries that Xbone will release in this year.
  • No info/idea on what Rare's up to, sadly.
  • $399 XB1 this year? "Maybe one without an Optical Disc Drive."
I'm heading out so people update this list accordingly...

Since these are all rumors at this point if people are going to start talking about all the other things then a new topic should be started IMO.

Halo 2 trumps all other Halo releases, by far IMHO. It was the most pure multiplayer fun I had in a shooter, ever. All the subsequent ones just added too much stuff without adding much value. If they can bring that back and up it for the Xbox One then I'm all in!!

One thing about the other rumors posted here.

If MS were to release an X1 without a bluray drive, perhaps they are waiting to do that until they have their software features in place. I'm referring to features that allow things like the digital game sharing, or even the ability to resell/trade those games.

If they did bring about more digital management features, then a digital only console makes more sense. Plus, this should not fragment the user base at all unlike doing something like removing Kinect. Developers wouldn't be impacted much at all since all games are already pushed for digital release. I could see many users willing to buy such a console, especially if its $100 cheaper.

For me, I still like having the drive there for buying some retail games and for media purposes, so I think making a second sku is the best way to go about that. Let us pick the way we want to consume media.

• Like 2

If true I'll be looking forward to this more than I did when 4 was coming out. 2 is by far my favorite in the series; so many good memories with that one. 

Halo 2 trumps all other Halo releases, by far IMHO. It was the most pure multiplayer fun I had in a shooter, ever. All the subsequent ones just added too much stuff without adding much value. If they can bring that back and up it for the Xbox One then I'm all in!!

Now if only they'd re-release Halo 2 in HD on PC that works on at least 7+ without GFWL...  H2MP was the shiz back in the day, even local split screen on the original xbox.

One thing about the other rumors posted here.

If MS were to release an X1 without a bluray drive, perhaps they are waiting to do that until they have their software features in place. I'm referring to features that allow things like the digital game sharing, or even the ability to resell/trade those games.

If they did bring about more digital management features, then a digital only console makes more sense. Plus, this should not fragment the user base at all unlike doing something like removing Kinect. Developers wouldn't be impacted much at all since all games are already pushed for digital release. I could see many users willing to buy such a console, especially if its $100 cheaper.

For me, I still like having the drive there for buying some retail games and for media purposes, so I think making a second sku is the best way to go about that. Let us pick the way we want to consume media.

I think they'll do it but not this soon unless it's through deals with cable TV providers as a second set-top box option. If that's how they do it then I also think it could be more than $100 less, imp thinking $299 with some cable deal in the process. I say this because I expect a newer version with a 1TB hard drive for $499 holiday 2014 which means the current 500GB model will have to drop it's price to something, and I'm thinking that something will be $399 instead.

I think they'll do it but not this soon unless it's through deals with cable TV providers as a second set-top box option. If that's how they do it then I also think it could be more than $100 less, imp thinking $299 with some cable deal in the process. I say this because I expect a newer version with a 1TB hard drive for $499 holiday 2014 which means the current 500GB model will have to drop it's price to something, and I'm thinking that something will be $399 instead.

Well that's one way to do a price drop without it looking bad. I think that would go over well.

Why the hell do companies care if news about popular games/sequels/prequels get leaked?

The movie industry pretty much tells us 10 minutes after the first screening of a popular movie that another one is in the pipeline, why does the gaming industry care so obsessively about embargoing and concealing stuff that is almost certainly make them a boatload of money?

I was going to post that Foundation is one of my all time favorite maps but then realized I loved pretty much all Halo 2 maps. :yes: :laugh:

Chiming in to also voice my excitement / support for Halo 2 on Xbox One. I would also like to see it re-released on PC. I spent much more time with the PC version. Had a custom server up and running for friends to join and everything. I was thinking about installing it again I suspect all the server stuff is completely broken now however.

I think 3 was definitely the last core-Halo MP that I enjoyed. The drops added just enough that it didn't feel overwhelming but added lots of new strategy. I will never forget seeing the bubble shield for the first time in the Superbowl ad :wub:

Halo 2 had the "next gen" feeling when you played it online for the first time. Was so far and away from everything else MP-related on consoles. Nostalgia plays a big part here in looking back, but even the community when it launched was amazing. It turned to **** a few months later unfortunately :p

Reach is good too but for lots of different reasons and even with its issues 4 can be fun, I just ignore the loadouts and play it "classic" or pretend it's Reach even if I'm at a disadvantage.

I enjoyed playing Halo anniversary, sadly online co-op wouldn't work properly with me for any of my friends. Whoever wasn't the had crippling latency and frame rate issues. Which judging by the online forums was a very common issue.

Hopefully that will be resolved in anniversary 2.

Plans for a disc-free Xbox One? Halo 5 in 2015? A Halo 2 remake this fall?

A massive dump of rumors posted on NeoGAF last night hints at all that and more: a new Forza Horizon this fall; a game called Shangheist that was cancelled when the studio Black Tusk started development on a new Gears of War; a widespread white Xbox One launch later this year.

This all comes from someone with the handle ntkrnl, who hasn't identified himself but has been posting details and tidbits about Microsoft's future plans for the past 24 hours. Some of the info is vague?like an alleged deal between Microsoft and the cloud processing company Cloudgine?while other snippets are more specific, like details about the upcoming Xbox One game Sunset Overdrive. Ntkrnl adds that Halo 2: Anniversary is scheduled for November 11 and Fable Legends will be out in the summer of 2015.

So how valid is this stuff? Well, thanks to a reliable source, I've been able to confirm that ntkrnl is indeed connected to Microsoft, although I haven't been able to verify any of the poster's claims. Just because the leaker is in a position to know this information doesn't mean this information is true. (When I reached out this morning, Microsoft declined to comment.)

But adding some veracity to ntkrnl's posts is The Verge's Tom Warren, who has a very good track record with Microsoft-related leaks and rumors. Warren says he's been able to verify a few of ntkrnl's claims, including the white Xbox One release and a major dashboard update scheduled for this March that will reportedly fix some of the system's big interface and party chat issues. Warren also says he confirmed Microsoft is testing out builds of the Xbox One without a disc drive?floated by ntkrnl?although neither knows whether that version of the console will actually make it to the market.

On top of all that, according to one person familiar with the situation who spoke to me under condition of anonymity, Microsoft is currently trying to track down and identify ntkrnl. According to that person, Microsoft executives are looking to take legal action against ntkrnl, which, again, doesn't mean that everything he says is true.

Ntkrnl also posted a mock-up of what appears to be a Titanfall-themed Xbox One bundle:

19e65j4iqxmkjpng.png

Two industry sources have told me that this bundle is real, although the image is not 100% accurate.

UPDATE (5:37pm): It's worth noting that just because the bundle is real doesn't mean it will make its way to store shelves. Frequent NeoGAFfer Pete Dodd, who has been correct about some gaming rumors in the past, says he heard the bundle was cancelled.

Titanfall comes out for Xbox One, PC, and 360 on March 11.

That's all we know at this point, and we've reached out to more sources and contacts in an attempt to verify more of this information.

For a full compilation of ntkrnl's posts, check out NeoGAF.

http://kotaku.com/massive-xbox-one-rumor-dump-is-filled-with-juicy-detail-1512616526

----

If you're joining the thread then this Bish-verified insider ntkrnl has been UNLEASING THE BOMBS.

Here's all the stuff so far he's said in this thread:

• Forza Horizon: "Fall 2014, probably September. Super sexy weather system and... **** tons of co-op/social stuff. 1080P and open-world, so you can road trip with your bros."
  • White Xbone incoming.
  • Why all the leaks? Scared you might get caught? "I am incapable of fear. Plus, this is such exciting stuff, and me talking about it ahead of time isn't going to hurt anything, truthfully. We're all chomping at the bit for it to come out. This is not bad. "
  • Halo Anniversary 2 will be 1080p, iffy on the 60fps, maybe not.
  • Quantum Break is Holiday 2014
  • Multiplayer confirmed for HA2, same devs as Halo Anniversary.
  • Sunset Overdrive is Fall 2014
  • Is not Phil Spencer
  • Black Tusk cancelled project was called "Shangheist." May have involved stealing stuff from the Chinese (though I think that may have been a reference to the name and maybe not the gameplay? Not sure...)
  • Fable Legends is Summer 2015
  • Halo 2 Anniversary includes beta for Halo 5
  • Gears of War will probably need a 2.5 year dev time.
  • First Titanfall DLC is 45 days from release, then another one 120 days from release.
  • No Crackdown 3 news this year most likely, since it's a 2016 title.
  • A list w/dates of the rest of the Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries that Xbone will release in this year.
  • No info/idea on what Rare's up to, sadly.
  • $399 XB1 this year? "Maybe one without an Optical Disc Drive."
I'm heading out so people update this list accordingly...