Photo
rumour

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 30 January 2014 - 23:10

Plans for a disc-free Xbox One? Halo 5 in 2015? A Halo 2 remake this fall?

A massive dump of rumors posted on NeoGAF last night hints at all that and more: a new Forza Horizon this fall; a game called Shangheist that was cancelled when the studio Black Tusk started development on a new Gears of War; a widespread white Xbox One launch later this year.

This all comes from someone with the handle ntkrnl, who hasn't identified himself but has been posting details and tidbits about Microsoft's future plans for the past 24 hours. Some of the info is vague—like an alleged deal between Microsoft and the cloud processing company Cloudgine—while other snippets are more specific, like details about the upcoming Xbox One game Sunset Overdrive. Ntkrnl adds that Halo 2: Anniversary is scheduled for November 11 and Fable Legends will be out in the summer of 2015.

So how valid is this stuff? Well, thanks to a reliable source, I've been able to confirm that ntkrnl is indeed connected to Microsoft, although I haven't been able to verify any of the poster's claims. Just because the leaker is in a position to know this information doesn't mean this information is true. (When I reached out this morning, Microsoft declined to comment.)

But adding some veracity to ntkrnl's posts is The Verge's Tom Warren, who has a very good track record with Microsoft-related leaks and rumors. Warren says he's been able to verify a few of ntkrnl's claims, including the white Xbox One release and a major dashboard update scheduled for this March that will reportedly fix some of the system's big interface and party chat issues. Warren also says he confirmed Microsoft is testing out builds of the Xbox One without a disc drive—floated by ntkrnl—although neither knows whether that version of the console will actually make it to the market.

On top of all that, according to one person familiar with the situation who spoke to me under condition of anonymity, Microsoft is currently trying to track down and identify ntkrnl. According to that person, Microsoft executives are looking to take legal action against ntkrnl, which, again, doesn't mean that everything he says is true.

Ntkrnl also posted a mock-up of what appears to be a Titanfall-themed Xbox One bundle:

19e65j4iqxmkjpng.png

Two industry sources have told me that this bundle is real, although the image is not 100% accurate.

UPDATE (5:37pm): It's worth noting that just because the bundle is real doesn't mean it will make its way to store shelves. Frequent NeoGAFfer Pete Dodd, who has been correct about some gaming rumors in the past, says he heard the bundle was cancelled.

Titanfall comes out for Xbox One, PC, and 360 on March 11.

That's all we know at this point, and we've reached out to more sources and contacts in an attempt to verify more of this information.

For a full compilation of ntkrnl's posts, check out NeoGAF.

http://kotaku.com/ma...tail-1512616526

----

If you're joining the thread then this Bish-verified insider ntkrnl has been UNLEASING THE BOMBS.

Here's all the stuff so far he's said in this thread:

• Forza Horizon: "Fall 2014, probably September. Super sexy weather system and... **** tons of co-op/social stuff. 1080P and open-world, so you can road trip with your bros."
  • White Xbone incoming.
  • Why all the leaks? Scared you might get caught? "I am incapable of fear. Plus, this is such exciting stuff, and me talking about it ahead of time isn't going to hurt anything, truthfully. We're all chomping at the bit for it to come out. This is not bad. "
  • Halo Anniversary 2 will be 1080p, iffy on the 60fps, maybe not.
  • Quantum Break is Holiday 2014
  • Multiplayer confirmed for HA2, same devs as Halo Anniversary.
  • Sunset Overdrive is Fall 2014
  • Is not Phil Spencer
  • Black Tusk cancelled project was called "Shangheist." May have involved stealing stuff from the Chinese (though I think that may have been a reference to the name and maybe not the gameplay? Not sure...)
  • Fable Legends is Summer 2015
  • Halo 2 Anniversary includes beta for Halo 5
  • Gears of War will probably need a 2.5 year dev time.
  • First Titanfall DLC is 45 days from release, then another one 120 days from release.
  • No Crackdown 3 news this year most likely, since it's a 2016 title.
  • A list w/dates of the rest of the Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries that Xbone will release in this year.
  • No info/idea on what Rare's up to, sadly.
  • $399 XB1 this year? "Maybe one without an Optical Disc Drive."
I'm heading out so people update this list accordingly...

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=760013

#2 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola Droid 4

Posted 30 January 2014 - 23:13

Just ask the NSA, they monitor Microsoft's internal networks and I'm sure they'd be glad to help out an old friend.

#3 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 30 January 2014 - 23:17

Is this to do with the white X1 and Halo 2 Anniversary etc?

Edit: just read the source. Will add the original story to OP too.

I did say when they announced the TF controller it was odd they didn't do a console along with it. That's pretty normal for MS and LEs.

#4 ZeroHour

ZeroHour

Neowinian

Posted 30 January 2014 - 23:27

Just ask the NSA, they monitor Microsoft's internal networks and I'm sure they'd be glad to help out an old friend.

Sigh, SEA does business in the USA which means like ALL they will have to give up access too. Just because Sony CAME from Japan it doesnt meant they dont have to comply LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

Hell sony stored passwords in cleartext...

#5 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola Droid 4

Posted 30 January 2014 - 23:32

Sigh, SEA does business in the USA which means like ALL they will have to give up access too. Just because Sony CAME from Japan it doesnt meant they dont have to comply LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!
Hell sony stored passwords in cleartext...

I was just saying MS should ask the NSA who ntkrnl is, what does that have to do with Sony?

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 30 January 2014 - 23:53

The white Xbox One LE wouldn't be a surprise at this point, lots of people like it.  A BD-less version is also possible but it's too soon I think, maybe 2015 and only in partnership with cable companies.  As for the big system update, not really a rumor at all. We've been hearing about it around the time talk about Windows 8.1 update 1 came out, they're suppose to come out around the same time. It's also been said that Aprils build conference is going to be big on WP8.1 and Xbox One. If you put all the pieces of info together then you figured a update would come around the time of build, they say March so if true it means that the software will be in place to take advantage of with new updated tools/SDKs at build time.

As far as the game rumors go, don't know but I expect some game news at build as well.

#7 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:00

I think it's Edward Snowden's doing. He looks kind of like the Angry Video Game Nerd after all.

#8 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:14

I don't buy the legal action pArt and two der if this was a controlled leak?

#9 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:15

Well that is a long list of interesting rumors.

I was talking about this in another thread, but the part that would interest me the most is a new sku that leaves off the bluray drive and cuts the price $100.

It sounds like they will release a second sku, not a new single one.

So it might work like this:

$399 X1 package without BluRay drive
$499 X1 package complete
$549 X1 with a 1TB drive (again if that rumor is true)

or, maybe they decide that the 1TB model needs to be the base model:

$349/399 X1 without bluray
$449 X1
$499 X1 with 1TB drive

I have to agree with the post above though that I don't think they would try a system like this so soon. My guess is that if they did this, they would want to make sure that the digital system was as robust as possible to entice the most buyers. That means bringing back features they spoke about. Since the focus is digital, they don't have to come up with any drm like before.

#10 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:23

Any XB1 without a BD drive would have to undercut the PS4 or it makes no sense and is a harder sell, at $349 then maybe but I think that price is borderline, people will just spend $50 more and get the BD drive system IMO.  At $299 though? Then we're really talking but it's just too soon for them to do this unless we really get a few big system updates before holiday 2014.

#11 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:40

Any XB1 without a BD drive would have to undercut the PS4 or it makes no sense and is a harder sell, at $349 then maybe but I think that price is borderline, people will just spend $50 more and get the BD drive system IMO.  At $299 though? Then we're really talking but it's just too soon for them to do this unless we really get a few big system updates before holiday 2014.

That's a sign of smart pricing and what they want you to do. Eventually they'd drop an SKU and the price to offer everyone the full package when feasible.

Timing is what matters here. Do it too soon and they'll cause a backlash with all the early adopters. Even the Elite wasn't introduced this early.

#12 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:18

That's a sign of smart pricing and what they want you to do. Eventually they'd drop an SKU and the price to offer everyone the full package when feasible.

Timing is what matters here. Do it too soon and they'll cause a backlash with all the early adopters. Even the Elite wasn't introduced this early.

That's why I think that anything they release this year would either be more expensive, such as something with a larger hard drive, or something that does not include everything such as a disc free model.

I don't think most early adopters would be upset if there is a cheaper X1 that does not have a bluray drive.

Early adopters of the ps3 may have paid a lot of money compared to the price drops that happened not too long after that, but they also got features that were removed later.

#13 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:07

That's why I think that anything they release this year would either be more expensive, such as something with a larger hard drive, or something that does not include everything such as a disc free model.

I don't think most early adopters would be upset if there is a cheaper X1 that does not have a bluray drive.

Early adopters of the ps3 may have paid a lot of money compared to the price drops that happened not too long after that, but they also got features that were removed later.

Nah, early adopters won't care if BR is removed. Although I'm sure some will be annoyed at not having a choice of colour or new adoptees having to sacrifice one for the other (some really do care that much lol).

The only time early adopters will kick up a fuss is if they're stung on price or something is added for the same price.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:47

Is this to do with the white X1 and Halo 2 Anniversary etc?

Edit: just read the source. Will add the original story to OP too.

I did say when they announced the TF controller it was odd they didn't do a console along with it. That's pretty normal for MS and LEs.

Well it makes sense for the bundle to be cancelld. They haven't launched in all markets yet, all their consoles are selling as fast as they can make them. I don't think it's a good time to task the factories to make special limited editions

#15 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:51

With all these advancements on ssd's and such, I'm wondering if we're going to see some sort of 'ultra high capacity' cartridge comeback (eventually)

(Yes, I am being serious)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!