rumour

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:14

With all these advancements on ssd's and such, I'm wondering if we're going to see some sort of 'ultra high capacity' cartridge comeback (eventually)
(Yes, I am being serious)

Its possible, but I just don't think the price would ever get low enough. Everyone moved away from cartridges precisely because costs were an issue.

#17 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Not all who wander are lost

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 GDR3

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:34

Is this to do with the white X1 and Halo 2 Anniversary etc?

Edit: just read the source. Will add the original story to OP too.

I did say when they announced the TF controller it was odd they didn't do a console along with it. That's pretty normal for MS and LEs.

ICYMI they did release a Titanfall console along with it; or do I misunderstand your comment?

#18 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:38

With all these advancements on ssd's and such, I'm wondering if we're going to see some sort of 'ultra high capacity' cartridge comeback (eventually)

(Yes, I am being serious)

I'm shocked that tests have proven that an SSD in the PS4 or the Xbox One gives little to no advantage. I don't understand that. Did they purposefully limit the read/write speed on the system's motherboard? For what reason? This does not affect game performance if I'm not mistaken...

#19 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:39

I'm shocked that tests have proven that an SSD in the PS4 or the Xbox One gives little to no advantage. I don't understand that. Did they purposefully limit the read/write speed on the system's motherboard? For what reason? This does not affect game performance if I'm not mistaken...

ok, but what does that have to do wondering if a cartridge game comeback would be theoretically possible?

#20 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:59

Too soon for games to switch back to something like flash since optical is still cheaper. Having said that though if there is a future disc-less version the idea would be that it'd be digital only and since games have to be installed I could picture it having it's own SD unit that people could take to a gamestop or other such store where they can dump the install files on it and then once you pop it in the reader it'll start to install the game. The idea here is that you would use the same custom SD card that comes with the system and to protect from piracy they can use a custom encrypted FS that only the retailer can copy to with a retailer specific code so they know where it came from. Or you can just sell them with one time install codes so the SD can't be used on another system to install.

The problem of cost is not an issue since people will be using the same card over and over to carry the install media from the retailer back to their Xbox One. Those who have a fast enough connection don't have to bother with this process and say 5-7 years from now as flash prices keep dropping they can maybe move back to it and drop the slower disc method. 

#21 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:10

ok, but what does that have to do wondering if a cartridge game comeback would be theoretically possible?

It just came to mind :-) shouldn't have quoted your post, as I now understand it's not really relevant.

#22 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:18

It just came to mind :-) shouldn't have quoted your post, as I now understand it's not really relevant.

actually, reading Goerge P's post made your post relevant, to me at least, (small factor sd drive with the game prebuilt within) kinda gave the cartride theory a little more credibility..

#23 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 04 February 2014 - 14:01

ICYMI they did release a Titanfall console along with it; or do I misunderstand your comment?

When? The only TF console we know of is the rumoured one in the OP of this topic.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 February 2014 - 15:43

Cartridges would have more in common with flash drives, though they're somewhat the same thing. Cartridges would if they where going to have already made a comeback. Best way would have been to use Write Once ROM memory for the game and alternatively include a flash drive on the cartridge for updates and such. That would have been the cheapest and have the best performance. But even then it's more expensive than pressing discs. And by now both MS and Sony(wether they openly admit it or not) want to get rid of physical copies altogether.

#25 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 04 February 2014 - 18:20

This could be interesting if true, What would they do with the extra space?? does the xbox one use a slim optical drive or the big 5.25 size. This is how consoles will end up but i hope Microsoft do it right. 

#26 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:26

When? The only TF console we know of is the rumoured one in the OP of this topic.

Nevermind; I was wrong.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!