PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

I wouldn't say bottleneck, more so a pointer that if you're going to start comparing these consoles to your PC keep in mind on your PC developers can offload more to the CPU in order to produce better results with "older" hardware. On a PC with the room, airflow and cooling options you can have a pretty beastly CPU, where as these consoles need to look for chips more suitable for laptops/mobile devices.

But these parts can be compared to the pc.  They have pc equivalent parts out now that can be built into a pc.  That AMD cpu and gpus can be bought off the shelf.  So you can make some fairly accurate assumptions based on that hardware.

Yes, both consoles have custom bits that mean we can't see a 1:1 picture of what to expect, but you can get close. 

But these parts can be compared to the pc.  They have pc equivalent parts out now that can be built into a pc.  That AMD cpu and gpus can be bought off the shelf.  So you can make some fairly accurate assumptions based on that hardware.

Yes, both consoles have custom bits that mean we can't see a 1:1 picture of what to expect, but you can get close. 

I don't necessarily disagree here, it's just I'm seeing people saying "my PC GFX card is fairly similar, and I do 1080p/50~60FPS". We all now when it comes to some of the resource intensive parts of games like physics, lighting, shadows and AA, it's not just about your graphics card. Number crunching on the CPU can go a long way to help, especially with physics.

I don't necessarily disagree here, it's just I'm seeing people saying "my PC GFX card is fairly similar, and I do 1080p/50~60FPS". We all now when it comes to some of the resource intensive parts of games like physics, lighting, shadows and AA, it's not just about your graphics card. Number crunching on the CPU can go a long way to help, especially with physics.

I agree, we cant just look at the gpu and compare a complete system that way. 

It's good to see the PC getting improvements as well. I'd be surprised if the Xbox One version can managed the same performance, especially given what we've seen so far from other games, but we'll see.

Have to assume many here are just young and still enjoy jumping on bandwagons. Both consoles are exponentially more powerful than their predecessors. Like a few dozen times more. Anyone with any knowledge of PC specs can tell you five and seven billion transistor 28nm CPUGPUs are more than up to 1080 and beyond. The issues we are having now are all due to human factors, not hardware. I'd say both consoles have GPUs on par with 7970M parts, which is quite nice. Compared to a desktop GPU, yeah maybe 7790 or 7850.

This is a great return on investment. I mean, seriously I was just asked to pay $500 for a 290, and that's good value? But people cry about the consoles being pricey? And for anyone considering a PC master race comment, you need min 2.5k monitor capabilities to call yourself master race, so you're looking at a $1500 PC. I will be rebuilding my PC end of this year with Broadwell and hopefully finally some 20nm GPUs, not the same 2011 GCN tech AMD has now rebranded three times. I love my PC, but the laws of diminishing returns definitely apply to it big time.

• Like 2

Wow, look at how little the improvement is from the 360 to the X1.

Still shocking.

Then of course when you compare the X1 to the ps4, its not close.

With the resolution staying the same the sharpness wasn't really going to change that much. The only song for the XB1 owners revolves around the 60FPS, otherwise you'd of been better saving some $$$ and buying a copy for your 360 :/

• Like 2

With the resolution staying the same the sharpness wasn't really going to change that much. The only song for the XB1 owners revolves around the 60FPS, otherwise you'd of been better saving some $$$ and buying a copy for your 360 :/

That's utterly disgraceful.

I can't help but think the developers have to at least take some of the blame here. Offer a next gen game that barely, if at all, looks better then the last gen version.

I can't help but think the developers have to at least take some of the blame here. Offer a next gen game that barely, if at all, looks better then the last gen version.

Devs are rushing to bring games to market and capitalize on the new consoles. Taking time to learn all they can and get all the power out of it is not something they are doing now.

As a total side note, where were the clouds in the ps4 version vs. xbox one.... also, the PS4 seems a bit too sharp in details to look real to my eye. I like the shading and blending on the xbox one.

I am not sure what console I should get this on :/

It looks like the developer for this game didn't even make an attempt to bring the XB1 quality up. I find it hard to believe that Ryse can look so good while this game barely has noticeable improvements compared to the 360. It's as if the developer just took the 360 and ported to the XB1 without doing much anything else.

From what I've read, the XB1 GPU benchmarks roughly the same as an AMD 7770, and the PS4 GPU benchmarks roughy the same as an AMD 7850. 

Have to assume many here are just young and still enjoy jumping on bandwagons. Both consoles are exponentially more powerful than their predecessors. Like a few dozen times more. Anyone with any knowledge of PC specs can tell you five and seven billion transistor 28nm CPUGPUs are more than up to 1080 and beyond. The issues we are having now are all due to human factors, not hardware. I'd say both consoles have GPUs on par with 7970M parts, which is quite nice. Compared to a desktop GPU, yeah maybe 7790 or 7850.

Devs are rushing to bring games to market and capitalize on the new consoles. Taking time to learn all they can and get all the power out of it is not something they are doing now.

As a total side note, where were the clouds in the ps4 version vs. xbox one.... also, the PS4 seems a bit too sharp in details to look real to my eye. I like the shading and blending on the xbox one.

Seems like dynamic weather or something on the PS4 as opposed to static sky boxes

Special treatment for the sky is made for PS4 based on atmosphere simulation.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/436014959621718016

That's the outcome I spoke about a few pages back. Even with the SDK improvements and freeing the resources, it doesn't mean every developer is going to put the time in to use them. Time restraints and costs etc are the real deciding factors. Nobody bothered to do it last generation between PS3/360, the only time there was a benefit was when PS3 was lead platform and the 360 benefited by default; not because it was intended.

I thought Marius looked particularly well done. Can't wait to see this game in action hitting 100K for characters.

Agreed, Marius was a solid looking model and adding an extra 15K for each model in The Order is insane.

Just think at what level of detail teeth will be getting in this game!

Agreed, Marius was a solid looking model and adding an extra 15K for each model in The Order is insane.

Just think at what level of detail teeth will be getting in this game!

This gen is all about those next gen teeth! Forget 60fps, give me perfect teeth.