PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

The game certainly looks impressive, I think I'd enjoy the gameplay too. Only the story would put me off so I'll wait and see. I just really don't get on with Japanese story writers most of the time. MGS1 I loved the story etc. I enjoyed MGS2 up to about 90% of the way in and then it became a tangled spaghetti of "wtf is going on?" never played any later MGS games after that. 

Plants vs. Zombies shooter has no microtransactions at launch, probably doesn't run in 1080p

PopCap producer Brian Lindley says Garden Warfare will "definitely" not have in-game payments at launch, and is coy about resolution.

by Eddie Makuch on  

February 21, 2014

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, the upcoming team-based third-person shooter based on the popular strategy franchise, will not feature any microtransactions at all, at least not at release next week for Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

"So we're not going to have any microtransactions at all at launch," PopCap Games producer Brian Lindley told GameSpot at a recent press event.

Following the release of Garden Warfare, Lindley explained that PopCap will look at in-game metrics and player feedback to determine how best to move forward. This could include offering in-game payments, but one thing is for sure: microtransactions "definitely" won't be available at launch.

We also quizzed Lindley about Garden Warfare's native resolution and he gave a coy response. "The Xbox One outputs in 1080p," he said. "I will say we're not running at the same resolution as [battlefield 4]." Battlefield 4 runs in 720p on Xbox One. It was previously confirmed that Garden Warfare on Xbox One runs at 60fps, though.

We've reached out to PopCap for further clarification about Garden Warfare's resolution and received this roundabout response: "On next-gen consoles, players can experience all EA games at 1080p. Some are rendered natively, others are up-scaled by the next-gen hardware systems. Either way, the visuals are stunning and the gameplay is impeccable, regardless of platform."

Garden Warfare is extremely different than past entries in the franchise and fans of the series were probably taken by surprise when it was originally announced. This played right into PopCap's hand, Lindley said.

"I don't know that it does," Lindley said when asked if the Plants vs. Zombies series needed a shooter. "We thought it was a good idea; turns out it's a lot of fun. I think we've proven the concept that it works. This game wasn't needed by anybody, but I think that's the great thing, when you surprise people."

Right now, Garden Warfare is confirmed only for Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. Could the game be released on Sony platforms like the PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 someday? There's no plans right now, but Lindley has a never say never attitude.

"We have nothing to announce at this point, but I always caveat that with the comment that we want to get this game in the hands of as many people as possible," he said.

Finally, in the wake of rampant and frustrating SimCity and Battlefield 4 server issues, we asked Lindley what PopCap has done to ensure Garden Warfare's release will go off without a hitch.

"We've tested extensively; a lot of stress testing and...make sure everything is buttoned up and ready for launch as much as possible," he said. "So it really just comes down to preparation. Obviously, we cannot predict what's going to happen once a product is live, but [we've been] very diligent testing and making sure that when we launch, that's as smooth as possible. If there are any bumps we're going to dig into those as soon as possible."

Garden Warfare supports 12v12 competitive multiplayer and runs on the Frostbite 3 game engine, which powers titles like Battlefield 4 and Need for Speed: Rivals. The game, which launches February 25, will cost $40 on Xbox One and $30 for Xbox 360 and PC. For more on Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/plants-vs-zombies-shooter-has-no-microtransactions-at-launch-probably-doesn-t-run-in-1080p/1100-6417864/

In two minds where to post this since I'm more interested in the micro-transaction news but it will probably gravitate towards resolutiongate anyway.

Personally I'll be hanging back on it for a while since EA seems to be milking microtransactions for all their worth right now, not least after PvZ2 and Dungeon Keeper.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/plants-vs-zombies-shooter-has-no-microtransactions-at-launch-probably-doesn-t-run-in-1080p/1100-6417864/

In two minds where to post this since I'm more interested in the micro-transaction news but it will probably gravitate towards resolutiongate anyway.

Personally I'll be hanging back on it for a while since EA seems to be milking microtransactions for all their worth right now, not least after PvZ2 and Dungeon Keeper.

Not me, I'll be picking this one up soon after launch. My wife is a fan of the series and this version looks like a fun spin on it. Plus its one of the few games to support local co-op and offers WiiU-like gameplay with smartglass. The fact that it is also now not going to have microtransactions at launch should be a good thing, makes it better in my book anyway.

The whole resoltuion business is fun for you guys and thats cool, but I'm ready to play more games.

Would be pretty surprised if plants vs zombies couldn't do 1080p, probably just being coy till release.

Not me, I'll be picking this one up soon after launch. My wife is a fan of the series and this version looks like a fun spin on it. Plus its one of the few games to support local co-op and offers WiiU-like gameplay with smartglass. The fact that it is also now not going to have microtransactions at launch should be a good thing, makes it better in my book anyway.

The whole resoltuion business is fun for you guys and thats cool, but I'm ready to play more games.

I was looking forward to it as well, but when EA says "No micro transactions at launch", all I can think is there will be micro transactions 2 weeks after launch :P

You have more faith than me that's for sure lol

I was looking forward to it as well, but when EA says "No micro transactions at launch", all I can think is there will be micro transactions 2 weeks after launch :p

You have more faith than me that's for sure lol

The reason I do is becuase they had already announced microtransactions. The normal EA would have just stuck with that. Instead, they try something different. I dont know why or if it will last forever, but I sure as heck feel like supporting a choice like that. Perhaps they want to gauge feedback and sales of the game without it.

Besides, if the game is crap then I wont need to bother, but the preivews have looked good. So if reviews and impressions are postive at launch, I feel confident that I'm getting a nice game.

The reason I do is becuase they had already announced microtransactions. The normal EA would have just stuck with that. Instead, they try something different. I dont know why or if it will last forever, but I sure as heck feel like supporting a choice like that. Perhaps they want to gauge feedback and sales of the game without it.

Besides, if the game is crap then I wont need to bother, but the preivews have looked good. So if reviews and impressions are postive at launch, I feel confident that I'm getting a nice game.

I'm waiting for PC version personally, want to keep my games together and that's where I own PvZ GOTY :P So I guess I'll have some heads up before I plunk down ?.

As for the 1080p comments, I agree with AB, probably just playing it safe but I'll be surprised if not even XBLA games can do 1080p at this stage.

I'm waiting for PC version personally, want to keep my games together and that's where I own PvZ GOTY :p So I guess I'll have some heads up before I plunk down ?.

As for the 1080p comments, I agree with AB, probably just playing it safe but I'll be surprised if not even XBLA games can do 1080p at this stage.

Unforutantely the pc version is not getting local co-op or third screen options, so the X1 version is the better value for me.

"Just being a QTE game".

You know more about this game than any of the rest of us and journalists who've only just been to an embargoed event?

And it's confirmed.

That article sounds like it was coming from the same interview as Gamespot, but they somehow got more info from him?

Disappointing if true that not even "XBLA" games will be 1080.

Well I have a hard time believing an xbla game not hitting 1080 is the fault of the hardware.

PvZ uses the Frostbite 3 engine, so maybe it is just that taxing, or they are still working to optimize that engine for consoles. I mean BF4 couldnt even hit 1080p on the ps4.

Well I have a hard time believing an xbla game not hitting 1080 is the fault of the hardware.

PvZ uses the Frostbite 3 engine, so maybe it is just that taxing, or they are still working to optimize that engine for consoles. I mean BF4 couldnt even hit 1080p on the ps4.

Well what other reason could it be? Microsoft obviously struck a deal with EA/Popcap to make this Xbox/PC exclusive. And IIRC it launches first on X1?

Even if BF4 and PvZGW use the same engine, they're hardly comparable games. There is a lot more going on in the former.

Well what other reason could it be? Microsoft obviously struck a deal with EA/Popcap to make this Xbox/PC exclusive. And IIRC it launches first on X1?

Even if BF4 and PvZGW use the same engine, they're hardly comparable games. There is a lot more going on in the former.

So then you think it is just the limit of the hardware?

So then you think it is just the limit of the hardware?

I don't want to jump to conclusions but it may be the case. Why else would it not be hitting 1080p? I think we can all agree it's not exactly demanding compared to BF4 which is 900p. It's an exclusive so there's no conspiracy of Sony paying for a better version. It's already been delayed so it's not rushed.

Not a lot of reasons left :/

I don't want to jump to conclusions but it may be the case. Why else would it not be hitting 1080p? I think we can all agree it's not exactly demanding compared to BF4 which is 900p. It's an exclusive so there's no conspiracy of Sony paying for a better version. It's already been delayed so it's not rushed.

Whenever someone says things all I can do is laugh.

Yeah, got to be the poor hardware.

How can you say that with a straight face, after everything that's known and been shown?

True, I should know better then to question it.

Yeah, got to be the poor hardware.

True, I should know better then to question it.

You make it sound like we're browbeating you into submission here that there could be no other reason :laugh:, but genuinely I'm worried that it can't do it.

What are the current XBLA games running at? Peggle 2 is surely 1080 even if it's not a game which demands it?

You make it sound like we're browbeating you into submission here that there could be no other reason :laugh:, but genuinely I'm worried that it can't do it.

What are the current XBLA games running at? Peggle 2 is surely 1080 even if it's not a game which demands it?

Think what you want, the truth is I can't come up with another reason, so what should my response be?

I can tell your very worried about this stuff. I'm certainly interested in learning the truth.

I have no idea what the other xbla games are running at, but I'm sure someone has made the effort to get a list.

I did notice that Dying Light is listed as 1080p/60 on ign's list, but since that is not out yet, who knows if its true. I havent seen a listing for the other titles.