ps4 xbox one microsoft sony frame rate resolution

1684 replies to this topic

#1681 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 20,386 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 February 2015 - 15:42

I don't think that's how it works. There might be some minor improvements as far as the OS using the new API is concerned but I wouldn't expect for the games themselves to change. For example DX11 bought performance improvements over DX9 & DX10 but that didn't mean games made for the two older APIs ran better if the new one was on the system. Also, Mantle might be a different API but it uses the same principle as DX12.

WARNING! (car analogy): Let's say there's a dirt road and a highway. The driver only knows about the dirt road so that is the only one that he'll use (unless somebody tells him about the highway).

What I'm saying is that, unless the old games themselves get patched to use the DX12, there's not going to be any magical performance boost. That Star Swarm that everybody is using was built specifically for that lower level API access. I would have expected some older DX11 demos to be upgraded for Mantle/DX12 by now if your claim were feasible.

I said already that you'll get the most out of it if you write to it specifically but I expect a boost in performance regardless, DX12 can still handle DX11 code, that's why it's called a superset, there's a level of compatability already present. There's also the fact that we're getting driver improvements here, not just API. Everyone knows by now that any driver performance gains show up for games without those needing to get patched.

#1682 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

• 716 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 15:51

I don't think that's how it works. There might be some minor improvements as far as the OS using the new API is concerned but I wouldn't expect for the games themselves to change. For example DX11 bought performance improvements over DX9 & DX10 but that didn't mean games made for the two older APIs ran better if the new one was on the system. Also, Mantle might be a different API but it uses the same principle as DX12.

WARNING! (car analogy): Let's say there's a dirt road and a highway. The driver only knows about the dirt road so that is the only one that he'll use (unless somebody tells him about the highway).

What I'm saying is that, unless the old games themselves get patched to use the DX12, there's not going to be any magical performance boost. That Star Swarm that everybody is using was built specifically for that lower level API access. I would have expected some older DX11 demos to be upgraded for Mantle/DX12 by now if your claim were feasible.

Some general performance improvements can already be felt in the way Windows 10 handles DX. Faster load times .. snappier. Naturally we need to wait for a newer version of Windows 10. Not everything revolves around an FPS boost.

#1683 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 8,377 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 16 February 2015 - 15:56

(I love car analogies)

But if they pave that dirt road the driver would still be able to go a little faster on that same road, even if he doesn't take the highway.

If the software makes a call and the hardware improves the way it handles that same call then the software staying the same would still see an improvement.

#1684 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,434 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 16:51

I said already that you'll get the most out of it if you write to it specifically but I expect a boost in performance regardless, DX12 can still handle DX11 code, that's why it's called a superset, there's a level of compatability already present. There's also the fact that we're getting driver improvements here, not just API. Everyone knows by now that any driver performance gains show up for games without those needing to get patched.

And like I said, I expect the boost to be on the OS level since DX is closely integrated, but not from DX12's main feature, lower level hardware access. If that is what you're saying, then I don't disagree.

Some general performance improvements can already be felt in the way Windows 10 handles DX. Faster load times .. snappier. Naturally we need to wait for a newer version of Windows 10. Not everything revolves around an FPS boost.

Yeah, but I was interested in what specifically DX12 brings, not the its OS integration, but speaking of that, you have any links to benchmarks comparing W10 with W8 or is what you're saying anecdotal?

(I love car analogies)

But if they pave that dirt road the driver would still be able to go a little faster on that same road, even if he doesn't take the highway.

If the software makes a call and the hardware improves the way it handles that same call then the software staying the same would still see an improvement.

(I hate them, it was mostly a joke)

A little yes, but still very far from that highway speed.

#1685 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

• 716 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 17:04

Yeah, but I was interested in what specifically DX12 brings, not the its OS integration, but speaking of that, you have any links to benchmarks comparing W10 with W8 or is what you're saying anecdotal?

I was talking about the performance of starting up / Alt tabbing/ loading games. Naturally this is anecdotal and you will not see any concrete benchmarks in this regards until graphics drivers and Windows 10 hit RTM.