ps4 xbox one microsoft sony frame rate resolution

1784 replies to this topic

#1771 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• 1,667 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:43

A exec says he wants all holiday 2016 Frostbite games to have a minimum spec of windows 10/dx12. Says he knows it is an aggressive step but the benefits are worth it.
Asked wether it will benefit Xbox One games he says "Yes".

I don't think anyone is disputing that DX12 will provide SOME boost to Xbox One games.  The Xbox One has been getting regular updates to it's version of DirectX though since launch so that's not at all unusual.  The Xbox One APIs are contantly being tweaked they don't just update with a new release of DX so the DX12 update isn't much bigger of a deal in terms of performance than any other XDK update. (It's a bigger deal in ease of portability between Windows and Xbox One though).

Here is a rundown of some of the frequent changes the Xbox One has already gone through: (as of Jan. 11 2015)

The evolution of Xbox One - as told by the SDK leak

This evolution of the XDK will likely continue after the DX12 release as well (independent of DX12 updates) and Sony is no doubt making similar updates to the PS4 APIs (GNM, GNMX) behind the scenes.  This is normal for any console as the API's continue to be improved and refined over the life of the console.  We only know more about the MS one because it was leaked and Sony's wasn't.

#1772 ZeroHour

ZeroHour

Neowinian

• 792 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:30

Better check his linkedin profile to see if he's worked for Microsoft before!

He should, it is relevant.

#1773 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• 6,212 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 09 April 2015 - 18:31

I don't think anyone is disputing that DX12 will provide SOME boost to Xbox One games.  The Xbox One has been getting regular updates to it's version of DirectX though since launch so that's not at all unusual.  The Xbox One APIs are contantly being tweaked they don't just update with a new release of DX so the DX12 update isn't much bigger of a deal in terms of performance than any other XDK update. (It's a bigger deal in ease of portability between Windows and Xbox One though).

Here is a rundown of some of the frequent changes the Xbox One has already gone through: (as of Jan. 11 2015)

The evolution of Xbox One - as told by the SDK leak

This evolution of the XDK will likely continue after the DX12 release as well (independent of DX12 updates) and Sony is no doubt making similar updates to the PS4 APIs (GNM, GNMX) behind the scenes.  This is normal for any console as the API's continue to be improved and refined over the life of the console.  We only know more about the MS one because it was leaked and Sony's wasn't.

Indeed. In fact, it was the makers of Ride that stated that these SDK's are what got their game to 1080p on the Xbox One, which was going to be 900p. Glad the keep making improvements, and I am happy to hear that developers are finding DirectX 12 to also substantially benefit the console as well. It really is a win win for gamers.

#1774 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 37,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 22:47

Project Cars 1080/60 PS4,900/60 Xbox One

http://www.playstati...n-is-900p60fps/

#1775 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• 1,667 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 15 April 2015 - 14:24

Looks like the DmC AF issue has been patched.

#1776 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,564 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 15:09

Looks like the DmC AF issue has been patched.

I really wonder what the problem was. AF is not new tech. I've been using Aniso 16x in PC games for the last 10 years. When i started to use Aniso 16x my PC was less powerful than a PS4. It's one of those things I always put at max quality.

#1777 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,649 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 15 April 2015 - 15:15

I really wonder what the problem was. AF is not new tech. I've been using Aniso 16x in PC games for the last 10 years. When i started to use Aniso 16x my PC was less powerful than a PS4. It's one of those things I always put at max quality.

I never increase mine above 4x.

4x seems fine to me.

I don't seem to need to look far enough into the distance to notice the difference between 4x, 8x and 16x.

#1778 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,564 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 15:34

I never increase mine above 4x.

4x seems fine to me.

I don't seem to need to look far enough into the distance to notice the difference between 4x, 8x and 16x.

I agree but i don't see much of a difference in fps at 1080p going from 4x to 16x either so i put it at 16x and look somewhere else to reach 50+  fps. I think everytime i tried to get more fps by reducing aniso it improved the fps by a few frames at best (like 2-3 fps in the best case scenario). Reducing lightnings and shadows usually improved the fps much much more without making the game looks worse it just looks less vivid. Turning off the post-processing actually improves the fps more and the post-processing is definitely something you want to remove anyway no need for more blur in our games ....

#1779 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,649 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 15 April 2015 - 15:47

I agree but i don't see much of a difference in fps at 1080p going from 4x to 16x either so i put it at 16x and look somewhere else to reach 50+ fps. I think everytime i tried to get more fps by reducing aniso it improved the fps by a few frames at best (like 2-3 fps in the best case scenario). Reducing lightnings and shadows usually improved the fps much much more without making the game looks worse it just looks less vivid. Turning off the post-processing actually improves the fps more and the post-processing is definitely something you want to remove anyway no need for more blur in our games ....

You're correct, it's probably only 2-3 fps but if I can't tell the difference visually, 2-3 fps all helps :)

Post processing is heavy but when applied well, it's more than just blurring effects.

#1780 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,564 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 16:07

Post processing is heavy but when applied well, it's more than just blurring effects.

Maybe but the only game i saw a difference other than less blurry when turning this off is Deus Ex Human Revolution. I think it's the only game i've keep this on so far.

#1781 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 37,129 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:42

F1 2015 is the same as Project Cars

http://www.videogame...n_xbox_one.html

#1782 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 37,129 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:16

As a disclaimer, we're told by Bandai Namco's PR staff that the 19GB build in test here is of 'submission' quality. A final certification pass is ongoing at Sony and Microsoft's offices, and we're still shy of a last word on whether this is what we can expect on launch. At the very least, our captures here show Project Cars in its final stages of development, but as ever, certain points are apt to change as we hone in on its release.

Looking at resolution first there's clearly some work to be done. We were originally promised promised a true 1920x1080 as the target for both consoles, but now we see just an internal 1600x900 frame-buffer in effect on Xbox One - as confirmed by the developer earlier this week. Image quality does suffer in this case, and its post-process anti-aliasing method (which falls close to the PC's higher FXAA settings) struggles to cover all its rough spots. A motion blur effect helps disguise the upscale to 1080p to an extent in motion, but pixel-crawl remains noticeable across chrome highlights on cars, and foliage elements especially.

The game's frame-rate is also a sticking point. Project Cars targets an ambitious 60fps on each platform, but the sheer breadth of options gives players the power to determine whether it hits this mark, or drops closer to 30fps. For example, our first race is on the Dubai Autodrome International circuit, a manic 35-car race with light clouds overhead, camera set to interior cockpit view and no damage physics enabled. Even with this number of AI racers, the game sticks to a 60fps line throughout, and only drops for one stretch on the circuit (to 50fps on Xbox One, and 55fps on PS4).

For moments where the frame-rate goes under, tearing is an issue - especially on sharp turns with lots of camera motion. This is a bigger deal once we push the boat out a bit more; our next race featuring a whopping 44 cars on the Circuit Des 24 Heures du Mans track, with a more taxing chase mode camera and heavy rain in play. The impact is immediate, and PS4 tears constantly with drops to 35fps at the busy starting grid, while Xbox One breaches the high 20s. This improves over the course of the race as cars splinter off into packs, though we never catch a glimpse of the 60fps line.

More @ http://www.eurogamer...ign=socialoomph

Not too surprised, I think expecting 60FPS locked with 30+ cars on the track and weather effects is beyond these consoles. Still, some of those drops are awful. Maybe locked at 30 should have been the aim. Sure there's PC like settings to tone back graphics, but screen tearing and some of those drops...

Even more surprising the One does worse off than the PS4, despite running at 900p.

#1783 XorpiZ

XorpiZ

Neowinian

• 297 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:55

Sounds like another case of a poorly optimised game.

Also interesting is that the PS4 yet again has issues with anisotropic filtering. And that the XB1 handles the motion blur better, apparantly. But that's a small consolation prize, when the XB1 drops below 30FPS under certain conditions. Simply not acceptable.

All in all though, it's a dissappointing performance by both the consoles and the developer.

#1784 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 37,129 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 21:45

"UPDATE: Build not intended for technical analysis. Our apologies!

It's come to our attention that the build of Project Cars used as the basis for this article was not intended by the developer Slightly Mad Studios for technical analysis. We weren't aware of this, which was the unfortunate result of some miscommunication on our part with the game's publisher. It was an honest mistake and it is not our intention to misrepresent the game, so we've unpublished the videos that form the basis of the article.

We'll be able to bring you a full analysis of a more advanced build of the game in the coming weeks.

We'd like to apologise to our readers and to Slightly Mad Studios for this unintentional misrepresentation."

The preview was based on an older build of the game and several of its observations are unfortunately either wrong or due to bugs or items which have subsequently been addressed by the dev team during the finalling process. Notable:

- The level of Anisotropic filtering was increased from 4x to 8x on both consoles, significantly improving the general image quality and sharpness of the road.
- Both consoles are set to use motion-blur at the equivalent of the PC medium setting – the differences seen on PS4 were due to bugs which were transient with on-going optimisation and not because PS4 uses object based motion-blur.
- The shadow differences highlighted were largely down to the various slope-scale DX11 issues we had at this time, like many WMD users had reported on the PC builds.
- The build reviewed was also lacking the render bridge camera work, which as you all know significantly improved frame pacing and the general feeling of smoothness especially when cornering.

In the article it is mentioned that Project Cars on Xbox One is using post-process anti-aliasing which is equivalent to the PC's higher FXAA settings. This is incorrect, the Xbox One version uses MSAA, or more precisely AMD's EQAA (Enhanced Quality Anti Aliasing) with 8 fragments and 4 samples, which equivalent to MSAA 4x on PC.

#1785 Polonium

Polonium

Neowinian

• 375 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:21

Damage limitation in full swing lol.