ps4 xbox one microsoft sony frame rate resolution

2005 replies to this topic

#1996 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 3,000 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 22 May 2015 - 16:44

I think the difference is that hardcore gamers are a hell of a lot less patient with frame drops and pop-ins. Everyone will notice it; having the framerate crash into single digits is pretty hard not to notice, but some players might just shrug and play on.

To be perfectly honest, hopefully the guys doing these benchmarks and such are doing more than just one performance run through and getting a more general idea of how these games do on each platform. And on top of that they aren't only highlighting worst case scenarios. If they are, then they are painting a worse picture than there really is. It may very well be that many if not most players don't experience the same issues highlighted in some of the online benchmark comparisons. Of course it could just be as you say where most people just don't care and deal with it.

But there are a lot of 'hardcore' gamers out there who adamantly believe they can pick out these issues but they never seem to be complained about until some comparison video highlighting all the issues gets posted.

#1997 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 17,689 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 22 May 2015 - 17:13

But there are a lot of 'hardcore' gamers out there who adamantly believe they can pick out these issues but they never seem to be complained about until some comparison video highlighting all the issues gets posted.

I don't doubt there are some like that but many can spot the issues very easily. For instance, I'm very sensitive to framerate variations and can easily spot non-native resolutions. I can spot if a television is running TruMotion because of the uneven frame spacing and can spot the difference in motion between Plasma and LCD at a glance. Many people swear by plasma but I can tell the sets running at sub-1080p resolutions. I can also tell immediately if a game has mouse acceleration whereas the average user doesn't have a clue. I'm also sensitive to input lag and back in the days of CRT monitors could tell which monitors were running at low refresh rates, as CRTs running at 60Hz gave me headaches.

Many of these issues come to light because gamers who are sensitive to such things spots them. If you know what you're looking for these things are easy to spot. If you don't or aren't paying close attention then you can easily miss them or might simply not care.

#1998 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 23,174 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 22 May 2015 - 17:30

I don't doubt there are some like that but many can spot the issues very easily. For instance, I'm very sensitive to framerate variations and can easily spot non-native resolutions. I can spot if a television is running TruMotion because of the uneven frame spacing and can spot the difference in motion between Plasma and LCD at a glance. Many people swear by plasma but I can tell the sets running at sub-1080p resolutions. I can also tell immediately if a game has mouse acceleration whereas the average user doesn't have a clue. I'm also sensitive to input lag and back in the days of CRT monitors could tell which monitors were running at low refresh rates, as CRTs running at 60Hz gave me headaches.

Many of these issues come to light because gamers who are sensitive to such things spots them. If you know what you're looking for these things are easy to spot. If you don't or aren't paying close attention then you can easily miss them or might simply not care.

60hz CRT's are easy to spot on the flickering though, specifically periphery vision flickering. and well in general it's not that hard to distinguish a 720 from a 1080 flat screen of any type, especially in games that won't have natural AA and therefore has fairly visible pixels with with FSAA applied. Plasma's advantage is the speed of the pixels ability to change from black-white-black(most LCD's are measure in black-grey-black because it's faster and most people won't notice the difference since they don't run in game mode anyway) at much higher speeds than any LCD. even the best LCD's today has at best a 400hz native, and that's measure in grey, even the cheapest plasma had 600hz black-white-black.  But hey, I remember a kid playing doom on his greyscale laptop screen in school in the mid 90's or something... that was... something... kids today will never understand why there's a setting for mouse trails :)

as for mouse acceleration, I think the issue here is more about "do you care" than "do you notice". a lot don't care, or prefer to have acceleration on, for me... I can go either way, but if you ask people (and in some cases explain what it is) most will be able to notice if it's on. 

in other related news, I can't believe this discussion is still going... 

#1999 OP Andrew

Andrew

Neowinian Senior

• 25,663 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 22:48

The discussion will continue for as long as people are interested and developments are made. If you have grown tired of the discussion, don't open the topic.

Even if you're not interested in the topic, you should be glad it is here to keep it out of every other topic in the sub-forum. Win win.

No more bitching about it. Join in, or close the page (Y)

#2000 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,682 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 15:39

Doesn't mean those are not issues though.

It reminds me the XBox wired controller versus the wavebird. Back in the days everyone loved the xbox controller s and thought it was the best controller. It was indeed the best controller imo but here and there i was saying to my xbox fanboy friends how much i wished there was a wireless version of it (i was the only one owning a GameCube and i loved it for games like Eternal Darkness). Everytime i said that they replied wireless controllers were **** there was latency and it was useless bla bla bla

Then the 360 came out with a wireless controller and all of a sudden wireless controllers were the best thing ever ;)

That's how it is. Native 1080p is useless until your favorite console has it then it's awesome XD

This said they should not push for 1080p if they can't keep a constant 30fps at the very least.

#2001 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,682 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 15:53

I think the difference is that hardcore gamers are a hell of a lot less patient with frame drops and pop-ins. Everyone will notice it; having the framerate crash into single digits is pretty hard not to notice, but some players might just shrug and play on.

Anything under 20 is really easy to notice even if it is constant fps. Between 30 and 60 it's harder but if there's lot of variation from 30 to 60 and 60 to 30 still very easy to notice. Personally i stop noticing it when the framerate variate from 46+ to 60. At this point it feels smooth enough. Not as smooth as constant 60 but it's smooth. I don't mind fps dropping in the 20ies in some rare occasions. Like in wow my fps was around 25-30 in big cities but over 50 everywhere else and a constant 60 in raids, dongeons and bgs. I did not mind the 20 in big cities there was no action anyway.

I hate pop-ins and the pop-ins of The Witcher 3 on console are very very evident.

#2002 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 23,174 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted Yesterday, 22:34

I hate pop-ins and the pop-ins of The Witcher 3 on console are very very evident.

they are ?

#2003 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• 6,304 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted Today, 01:52

they are ?

I was wondering the same. About 5 hours in and stil no pop in issues.

#2004 chaosinfected

chaosinfected

Catgirl

• 6,050 posts

Posted Today, 08:09

I started noticing some really far out on the second map.  If it takes that much effort to notice it I'm still not seeing a problem.

If anything would've drove me to the PC version had I thought about it it's load times.  My SSD would be much better than this 500GB.  My 2TB external is at least also better than the 500GB.

#2005 SnoopZ

SnoopZ

Resistance is Futile

• 1,045 posts

Posted Today, 09:57

I think the next patch is going to lock the game to 30 fps atleast in the X1 version not sure about PS4.

#2006 chaosinfected

chaosinfected

Catgirl

• 6,050 posts

Posted Today, 10:10

I think the next patch is going to lock the game to 30 fps atleast in the X1 version not sure about PS4.

I don't know if that would really work with their dynamic scaling thing they were so proud of.