PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

Titanfall is on the block for consoles and PC @ Eurogamer

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-beta-tech-analysis

It's a darn good thing that the game is kinda fun. And this is coming from a person who use to love FPS (although I sucked at them) who now is tired of FPS genre'.

Titanfall fun gameplay should help qualm the rumblings graphics a little bit, I would think.

Would like for the bots to be a pinch more difficult...

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-beta-tech-analysis

Good to hear it might be hitting 900p at least but wonder what the cost will be. The frame drop is very noticable IMO, mentioned it in the official topic yesterday. It doesn't get so low that it becomes a problem but you can easily spot it. Will it get worse if they bump it to 900 though :/

Its not based, it uses the source engine. You can say its a modified source engine but every game apart from the first game that uses it modifies the engine.

Its slowly been improving over the years in incremental updates but hasn't been updated to source 2.0 yet.

As for the reasoning behind using a 10yr old game engine: "Respawn chose to build [/size]Titanfall on the [/size]Source game engine early in their production cycle due to their developers' familiarity and its ability to maintain 60 [/size]frames per second on the [/size]Xbox 360"

That would clearly indicate that the game was built first with the 360 in mind, not next gen or the pc. That is something that was mentioned earlier and it makes me think this game is a little rushed in order to move to a next gen release.

Yeah, hopefully they can improve performance before the final launch. 900p@60 would be great, but I think most people here would prefer a solid framerate over a higher resolution for a competitive shooter.

Its clear that a lot of people are enjoying it though, so its going over well so far. There isnt a lot of talk about issues with the game beyond the performance ones.

I think ultimately the only way developers are going to make people happy this generation is to provide more options to the gamer so they can play how they like. KZSF is already doing that in a small way with the FPS lock, but I'm sure it can be extended in other departments too.

Congrats on the 35K AB

I think ultimately the only way developers are going to make people happy this generation is to provide more options to the gamer so they can play how they like. KZSF is already doing that in a small way with the FPS lock, but I'm sure it can be extended in other departments too.

Congrats on the 35K AB

Definitely, I'm interested in more PC like settings. Cheers, didn't notice as I'm on my mobile just now!

Congrats on the 35K AB

Yeah, bring in more pc-like options. I dont think there is any technical reasons preventing them from doing that anymore.

Of course it is.

What a joke.

What's a joke? That the ps4 is running it at 1080 and the xbone isn't?  Seems pretty common place.. not out of the ordinary. 

Oh man more and more titles are having to be gimped at sub-1080p on the xbox one.

In 2014 this is simply unnacceptable. :/

My exact views on the situation.

Id love to know what the exact technical reasons for doing this. Even though MS are showing a cool front about this in PR I bet there's quite a lot of fuss around this internally. Performance priorities must be up there.

MGS is 1080p on PS4, 720p on XB1

oETQdyI.png

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=770306

Pretty bad stuff. The pattern is becoming clear. That will be another striking difference.

What's a joke? That the ps4 is running it at 1080 and the xbone isn't?  Seems pretty common place.. not out of the ordinary.

I think the reason some react like that is seeing the X1 basically running the same as the 360 and ps3.

to combat this microsoft are to make revision to xbox one hardware with much larger eSRAM.

That won't happen. They're stuck with it now unless they want a complete PR and sales disaster on their hands.

to combat this microsoft are to make revision to xbox one hardware with much larger eSRAM.

That is a sure fire way to really **** off earlier adopters.

It looks to me like Microsoft rushed things with the Xbox One to match the PS4 release date. Personally I think both consoles should have been pushed back until spring 2014 but obviously they wanted to hit the Christmas market of 2013 which is why we have consoles with missing features that are now being added in software updates.

It does suck that 1080p60 is not the standard for this generation I really thought both consoles would be hitting 1080p60 for every game but sadly not I guess it will become the standard in a year or two when the SDKs have matured.

XB1 started like the PS3 did this time. For at least a while, it will have that "inferior" version.

With the 360 they built a fanbase against an overwhelming competitor... now they're blowing it.

That would clearly indicate that the game was built first with the 360 in mind, not next gen or the pc. That is something that was mentioned earlier and it makes me think this game is a little rushed in order to move to a next gen release.

Yeah, hopefully they can improve performance before the final launch. 900p@60 would be great, but I think most people here would prefer a solid framerate over a higher resolution for a competitive shooter.

Its clear that a lot of people are enjoying it though, so its going over well so far. There isnt a lot of talk about issues with the game beyond the performance ones.

I think they should push back the game a little bit (maybe november 2014 or spring 2015) to make it next gen.

I tried the game for a few minutes and was left unimpressed.

It is a fun game. But in a world where you can play games TF2, Dota2, PoE and Planetside 2 for free (and Borderlands 2 for cheap) i think just being "online fun" at 60$ is not good enough anymore. If the game would be 40$ i would be more willing to look over the flaws but at 60$ it's gonna be a hard sale outside of the XBox/CoD crowd. XBox fans will buy it no doubt about that but i highly doubt it will be the system seller MS hope it will be. It will help for some months but it wont move systems for years like Halo did.

The grunts are way way way too dumb. I don't say they should make them Halo Elite at legendary mode hard but right now they are so easy it is making some part of a game boring. The double jump and wall walking looked like a gimmick to me. Maybe i just played against terribad players though. I like the titan fights it's a lot of fun. There's difinately some "omg did you see that" moments in the game when titan are involved.

The gfx are really really average if not bad. I hope the texture quality is bad because they wanted to keep the size of the beta small. Cause such a low texture quality is not acceptable. I'm not a gfx ###### but at 60$ i tend to be harder to please.

MGS is 1080p on PS4, 720p on XB1

oETQdyI.png

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=770306

Pretty bad it's hard to tell the difference between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One version, the difference between the PS3 and PS4 version is massive.

Graphics are not everything, however having spent ?430 on a console 8 years newer than the 360 i expected more, even at launch...

• Like 2

Pretty bad stuff. The pattern is becoming clear. That will be another striking difference.

I think the reason some react like that is seeing the X1 basically running the same as the 360 and ps3.

Yeah cause people are still stuck on resolution is everything and raising the resolution is what makes the textures and shadows and all that smooth and good looking... Theres a MUCH bigger difference between 720 on 360 and 720 on xo then 1080 on ps4 and 720 on xo.  Ps4 is obviously going to have a solid edge but unless the game sucks or you dont really care about games and just looks you will never notice. Now anyone will notice if going from ps3,360 to ps4,one

Pretty bad it's hard to tell the difference between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One version, the difference between the PS3 and PS4 version is massive.

Graphics are not everything, however having spent ?430 on a console 8 years newer than the 360 i expected more, even at launch...

Yeah, that is the head scratcher. The only improvement that could be made over the 360 was hitting 60fps? Really? Not good.

Yeah cause people are still stuck on resolution is everything and raising the resolution is what makes the textures and shadows and all that smooth and good looking... Theres a MUCH bigger difference between 720 on 360 and 720 on xo then 1080 on ps4 and 720 on xo.  Ps4 is obviously going to have a solid edge but unless the game sucks or you dont really care about games and just looks you will never notice. Now anyone will notice if going from ps3,360 to ps4,one

That may be true, but at the end of the day, what most around here or around the internet will see is the lower numbers and that will win the day.

I think I was just surprised at 720p, we've known for weeks from Kojimas mouth that there would be a difference. Thought it would be another 900p. I guess wanting to hit 60FPS and the game being fairly open world took its taxes.

• Like 2

That may be true, but at the end of the day, what most around here or around the internet will see is the lower numbers and that will win the day.

This will win the day when immersive games like Skyrim will be released.

For now it doesn't really matter all that much. Most of the games are ports of last gen titles. The gfx are not really great anyway. And most of the "next gen" games are meh. I don't know if i'm the only one but to me both the PS4 and One lineup right now look really average at best. The only game i'm dying to play right now is Killer Instinct and it is certainly not because of the gfx ;).

But if the trend continue when games like Skyrim will hit the next gen consoles with next gen gfx it will hurt the One cause let's be honest for an immersive game like Skyrim even a slight advantage in the gfx department is a big deal to a lot of people.