PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

KEEP IT CLEAN

Can we please keep it respectful, you have all been warned only a few pages back about how you discuss this topic.

Learn the difference between Opinion and belief to facts - Especially when you are talking about something that is not even in the mainstream yet and cannot be proven either way until it is.

Because someone does not believe in the same as you does not make them a liar no matter how correct you might think you are.

Calling them out as one is classed as a personal attack and warns will be handed out, express your disagreement in a civilised matter and agree to disagree at best.

2. It wasn't Joe Mirabello who made the claim. It was a guy named Jakub Mikyska from Grip Games.

My mistake, I apologise. I searched for Tower Of Guns and it stated that it was made by Terrible Posture Games, which consists of only Joe Mirabello. It doesn't make any material difference to my point, as all Grip Games does is port low-fidelity indie games to console - it isn't a AAA developer.

My mistake, I apologise. I searched for Tower Of Guns and it stated that it was made by Terrible Posture Games, which consists of only Joe Mirabello. It doesn't make any material difference to my point, as all Grip Games does is port low-fidelity indie games to console - it isn't a AAA developer.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you don't dictate what is AAA, you don't dictate what is "taxing", and you don't dictate who is and isn't a good developer (or what knowledge they have). The good news here is that the console is doing better than most had anticipated.

I think we can all agree more and more news like this is GOOD for the gamer, not bad.

I for one am pumped to have this new generation of consoles. I am loving it.

Trust has to be earned, not blindly given. I'm not asking people to trust my position, I'm just pointing out the facts so that they can come to their own conclusion. Terrible Posture Games

I don't see how that disqualifies their opinion. It's a classic appeal to authority to assume that "Y" knows better than "X" since "Y" is a bigger company or has released "better" games.

I don't see how that disqualifies their opinion. It's a classic appeal to authority to assume that "Y" knows better than "X" since "Y" is a bigger company or has released "better" games.

Would you not agree that most AAA games are pushing consoles or even PCs to the max whereas smaller indies quite often don't? I'm not saying never, because of course they do, in many different ways.

However I would assume (and perhaps wrongly) that a developer that works for a big company would have a lot more experience in this area under the hood (and more opinions to have also) than one single person from a small start-up? It doesn't necessarily debunk it, its just that you may respect y's opinion is worth more than x's because of past experience?

If I'm understanding the above, we are talking about trusting a guy with only one or two games under his belt which, regardless of quality, doesn't add up to much.

• Like 1

GTA looks great on both the One and PS4.  But it happens to looks a bit more crisp on the PS4 (more juice under the hood) the visual difference isn't Earth shattering, it's slight but it's there.

But both games run the same.

They both run at the same resolution and frame rate (xbox one sometimes gets 1 - 4 frames higher) but they each have different effects enabled to cater to the needs of each console. The biggest difference between the Xbox One and PS4 version is the clouds. Like you said, other than that they run the same.

Would you not agree that most AAA games are pushing consoles or even PCs to the max whereas smaller indies quite often don't? I'm not saying never, because of course they do, in many different ways.

However I would assume (and perhaps wrongly) that a developer that works for a big company would have a lot more experience in this area under the hood (and more opinions to have also) than one single person from a small start-up? It doesn't necessarily debunk it, its just that you may respect y's opinion is worth more than x's because of past experience?

If I'm understanding the above, we are talking about trusting a guy with only one or two games under his belt which, regardless of quality, doesn't add up to much.

Developing an AAA game is a lot of work. The average developer doesn't necessarily know much about what the other departments are doing, how they are doing it or if there are any way to improve it.

I'm not qualified to say who is right and who is wrong, but I do have a problem with the way proven game-developers opinion are dismissed and how their character are called into question - simply because they have an opinion that differs from other game-developers.

Developing an AAA game is a lot of work. The average developer doesn't necessarily know much about what the other departments are doing, how they are doing it or if there are any way to improve it.

I'm not qualified to say who is right and who is wrong, but I do have a problem with the way proven game-developers opinion are dismissed and how their character are called into question - simply because they have an opinion that differs from other game-developers.

Can't argue with that to be fair :)

I think I have said this once every couple of months, but I really am blown away by the fact this thread just keeps going and going like there is going to be some magic bean that all of a sudden makes the One more powerful than it is.

Perhaps it is because I own both consoles and have no allegiance to any company that I can comfortably and confidently say it is very clear the PS4 is more powerful from a graphics standpoint. 

Life is much easier if you can accept the facts and move on. This is not just related to video games. It is related to damn near everything.

The PS4 is more powerful.

Cmon, Let's all say it together.

• This does not mean that there will not be certain games that have the same specs on both consoles.
    There will be plenty of games that run damn near identical on both platforms. This is a given. All these means is the games are either not that demanding and or their engines were developed to run in a consistent manner across the board.

• This also does not mean that there may very well be games who have better specs on the One than the PS4.
    If the One was the primary development platform and the developer is not as familiar with developing for the PS4, this could easily happen.

• It also does not mean that the One's AAA exclusive titles will not have similar performance to the PS4's exclusive AAA titles.
    MS is going to put all the resources they can to assure those titles are performing as good as they possibly can on the One.

• What it does mean however is when a developer knows what they are doing on both systems, and the game itself is pushing both systems graphically, the PS4 will come out on top from a technical perspective.
    This has been proven time and time again. Over and over. When it comes to AAA multi-platform games, any reasonable person can see and accept the fact 9 times out of 10 those games will run better on the PS4. It may mean a higher resolution. It may been a more stable frame rate. It may mean both. But strictly from a technical perspective, the PS4 is always coming out on top.

Now if one gaming console happens to be more powerful than another gaming console and you happen to own the one that is less powerful, please realize it has nothing to do with your own character. What you own does not own you. Just accept the reality of the situation and move on. 

Okay, I am done with my what seems to be bi-monthly tirade in this thread. However I feel the need to state it as this thread keeps going in circles, with the same conclusion every time.

As Einstein so eloquently stated...

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

... keeping that quote in mind, this thread is the textbook example of insanity.

• Like 6

I think I have said this once every couple of months, but I really am blown away by the fact this thread just keeps going and going like there is going to be some magic bean that all of a sudden makes the One more powerful than it is.

Perhaps it is because I own both consoles and have no allegiance to any company that I can comfortably and confidently say it is very clear the PS4 is more powerful from a graphics standpoint.

Life is much easier if you can accept the facts and move on. This is not just related to video games. It is related to damn near everything.

• This does not mean that there will not be certain games that have the same specs on both consoles.

There will be plenty of games that run damn near identical on both platforms. This is a given. All these means is the games are either not that demanding and or their engines were developed to run in a consistent manner across the board.

• This also does not mean that there may very well be games who have better specs on the One than the PS4.

If the One was the primary development platform and the developer is not as familiar with developing for the PS4, this could easily happen.

• It also does not mean that the One's AAA exclusive titles will not have similar performance to the PS4's exclusive AAA titles.

MS is going to put all the resources they can to assure those titles are performing as good as they possibly can on the One.

• What it does mean however is when a developer knows what they are doing on both systems, and the game itself is pushing both systems graphically, the PS4 will come out on top from a technical perspective.

This has been proven time and time again. Over and over. When it comes to AAA multi-platform games, any reasonable person can see and accept the fact 9 times out of 10 those games will run better on the PS4. It may mean a higher resolution. It may been a more stable frame rate. It may mean both. But strictly from a technical perspective, the PS4 is always coming out on top.

Now if one gaming console happens to be more powerful than another gaming console and you happen to own the one that is less powerful, please realize it has nothing to do with your own character. What you own does not own you. Just accept the reality of the situation and move on.

Okay, I am done with my what seems to be bi-monthly tirade in this thread. However I feel the need to state it as this thread keeps going in circles, with the same conclusion every time.

... keeping that quote in mind, this thread is the textbook example of insanity.

DirtyLarry, the ex-mod turned official Neowin shrink :p You should get your own badge my friend.

The PS4.....is.....mmmmmoooorr....

I can't do it :'(

All Joking asside, I don't have a PS4 simply because I had XB360 and PS3 and my PS3 never got used for anything other than a BR player. Not because it was a bad platform but because I just prefered the XB360 and the majority of my friends preferred 360 too (most had both also).

That's the number one reason I got the XB1 over PS4, do I regret that now I can see that the PS4 is the more powerful console (there I said it)? Not at all, it plays the games I enjoy and it plays them well. I personally couldn't tell the difference between 720, 900, 1080 or whatever random number of Pixels the console throws at me, I enjoy the games and realistically that's what matters.

Do I hope DX12 or the infamous "cloud" can help boost performance? sure why not, it can only add to my enjoyment and believing that over time these things do bring a benefit is no harm. Time will tell but I'll keep enjoying punching aliens in the face or driving around a piece of tarmac over and over as fast as I possibly can until I stop enjoying it.

I think opinions don't really matter much in this industry. Result is the only thing that really matters in the end.

Pretty much all devs and designers are gamers. And a big part of gamers are fanboys. Even those who say they are not fanboys still are. I like to think i'm not a fanboy but then i hate EA and love CD Projekt Red. I will be more harsh to EA decisions than i am to CD Projekt Red decisions. And this is what being a fanboy is.

To be honest i don't really care about any dev or designer opinions. I know computer science as much as most of them do. I care about what is available on the market. What i can play and how it is playable. I've seen way too much guys in this industry act like total fanboys to care anymore.

Dirty... The voice of reason...

Do I hope DX12 or the infamous "cloud" can help boost performance? sure why not, it can only add to my enjoyment and believing that over time these things do bring a benefit is no harm. Time will tell but I'll keep enjoying punching aliens in the face or driving around a piece of tarmac over and over as fast as I possibly can until I stop enjoying it.

The thing that could help the xbox one the most is selling better than the ps4.

Big multi-platform publishers will almost always focus development on the best selling console. And the platform you focus the development on greatly benefit from that.

The thing that could help the xbox one the most is selling better than the ps4.

Big multi-platform publishers will almost always focus development on the best selling console. And the platform you focus the development on greatly benefit from that.

I haven't kept up the the sales figures of late, but the XB1 had picked up a bit now thanks to countless price cuts, is that still the case? Still under PS4 numbers but they were looking a lot healthier.

I'm just waiting for these "killer" exclusives we were promised, I've not been excited by anything much, in fact 18 months (or whatever it's been since I got it day one) off the top of my head I've only bought 4 games the lineup has been so uninspiring.

This thread should be locked at this post. 

as far as im aware, this is a technical discussion of evolving platforms. if you've come to your own conclusions, good for you don't participate, but don't try to sabotage the thread.

• Like 2

I'm just waiting for these "killer" exclusives we were promised, I've not been excited by anything much, in fact 18 months (or whatever it's been since I got it day one) off the top of my head I've only bought 4 games the lineup has been so uninspiring.

That's crazy. I've not been excited by much exclusive games on both consoles.

The only 2 exclusive games i would really like to play are Bloodborne and Sunset Overdrive.

Xbox one and ps4 will be 2 years old this fall it's really surprising the low quality of exclusive games on both. I think they released both console 1 year too soon.

That's crazy. I've not been excited by much exclusive games on both consoles.

The only 2 exclusive games i would really like to play are Bloodborne and Sunset Overdrive.

Xbox one and ps4 will be 2 years old this fall it's really surprising the low quality of exclusive games on both. I think they released both console 1 year too soon.

Its probably more down to my slight Destiny/Minecraft obsession. If I'm not playing one of those games, I'm not playing anything.

I don't necessarily see it as some thinking the Xbox One is more powerful than it actually is, but some think it is LESS powerful than it actually is. Owning both consoles now (and the last 2 gens), as well as, I hate to say it, every gen since Pong debuted....which....yes, I still have my original pong console from the 70's.....god I am aging myself here) also shows that I have no allegiance to any one company and I am able to see this from the outside looking in. No, I actually don't like Microsoft or the products they make (with the exception of their game console and games), but I won't let my dislike for them as a company take away from the enjoyment I get from their games or the console they have (I wish Xbox was made by Apple to be honest....oops...did I say that out loud??). Most of my entertainment hardware at home is Sony and Bose though. I like their products.

But what we are finding here is that both consoles are capable of giving us 1080p and 60fps games, and both are doing it with sacrifices (just one is making more sacrifices than the other). The hardware on these platforms will never change. The Xbox One will have slightly better CPU performance, and the PS4 will have better RAM and GPU performance. That is on paper, is fact, and is impossible to change (well, they could, but that would alienate the existing user base and would destroy the ecosystem). Sadly, these consoles were bottlenecked at release as tablet CPUs and there is no getting around that physical hardware. What they can do however, is continue to improve the SDK's on both platforms, and evolve the things like Mantle and DirectX 12. More developer time with the consoles, more consoles manufacturers updating and improving their software tools. We already hear about both consoles finding "tricks" to give more graphical fidelity and improve performance. We are even seeing that in POST release patches. This is an ever evolving cycle.

Comfortably, will these consoles ever run games at 1080p and 60fps? Maybe they will more consistently in 5 years time. But there will be sacrifices made to get there. Both can do it, but at what expense. What the PS4 does do however, with the extra fast ram and GPU speed, gives it the ability to go beyond that 1080p and 60fps in smaller games where will find that the Xbox One just won't do it. There is no getting around the GPU and RAM in the Xbox One. Not even the cloud will solve this, unless for some reason, those games were online only games. And even then, you are looking at a trivial amount of games that wouldn't have a big user base when you take the casual crowd into account who play single player games and don't bother with online features.

It's unfortunate there is "plastic worship". The way I see it, all gamers really should embrace and promote the improvements that are being made to the consoles, not downplay them. We should all support each other in the gaming hobby that has and continues to take up a huge slice of our life. No matter what console gets "X Y or Z" improvements, we should be seeing that as a benefit to gamers as a whole. I think some tend to not look at the full picture, but what appeals to them. Don't get me wrong, we should all look out for NUMBER ONE :). But without other gamers and without competition, the gaming community and hobby as we have it now, would not be as exciting, would not be as valuable and not be what makes us, us. Chevy vs. Ford, PS vs. Xbox, Coke vs. Pepsi, Packers vs. Bears....cheer for your team by all means, but cheer for FANS that makes life, gaming and competition exciting.

Its probably more down to my slight Destiny/Minecraft obsession. If I'm not playing one of those games, I'm not playing anything.

I'm pretty much only playing indie old school games lately :p

Just started Unepic.

Can't remember the last time an AAA game wowed me. I think it was Guild Wars ...

Closing this thread is a bad idea and it will never be settled because it's not trying to determine anything.

Sure there are a lot of side discussions in here but fundamentally this thread as I understand it is to report resolution/frame rates for Xbox One/PS4 games.

As such every time a new Xbox One and/or PS4 game is released it's on-topic to make a post here as to what resolution and framerate it runs at.  It's not the definition of insanity because you're not repeating the resolution and frame rate for the same game over and over.  In practice people don't care enough to post for every single game (thank God or this thread would be even longer!) but instead tend to post when there are differences between the two consoles but people still like to know what resolution and frame rate games run at.  Even with the game isn't cross platform at all I personally like to know if it's 30fps or 60fps or if it's 1080p or something else.  The whole WHY game X runs at what it does or which console has higher performance is all just side discussions (which I'm guilty of as well)

If you don't care what resolution or frame rate a games run at then just ignore this thread. Even if that's the case this thread still serves a valid purpose to you because if serves to pool all the posts you don't care about into a single thread for you to more easily ignore.  If this thread is closed then every time the resolution and frame rate differences pop up for a big new game then someone is going to make yet another thread about it.  It's better IMHO just to keep all that discussion right here in this single thread.  This thread will continue to have a valid purpose until games stop being released for the Xbox One and PS4.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you don't dictate what is AAA, you don't dictate what is "taxing", and you don't dictate who is and isn't a good developer (or what knowledge they have). The good news here is that the console is doing better than most had anticipated.

If you want to claim that Tower Of Guns

I don't feel like the problem is with people are saying the PS4 is more powerful, more so people undervaluing the power of the X1. For example, the 40-50% claim which is bonkers.

In addition, when people usually discuss DX12, a lot of people usually shout up in rage saying that it won't make the X1 more powerful than the PS4. We know the GPU is not as good, we're just discussing the impacts of the X1 and DX12. 

Also cloud, cloud is a hilarious one for me. The cloud is definitely feasible for gaming application, just not in real time. This could give a big visual benefit in games which the PS4 couldn't achieve. For example, totally destructible cities in Crackdown (If that happens). Then again, it doesn't suddenly mean the GPU is more powerful, just means your relieving the CPU from work.