PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

Mouse acceleration, fov and 21:9 can be fixed with config edits.

Still very lazy not to have those options inside the game. Doesn't take a lot of work to add 2 check boxes to the configuration panel.

• Like 2

Still very lazy not to have those options inside the game. Doesn't take a lot of work to add 2 check boxes to the configuration panel.

Yeah its just been like that with Fallout for a while, 3 and New Vegas were the same. At least you can tweak it I suppose.

Yeah its just been like that with Fallout for a while, 3 and New Vegas were the same. At least you can tweak it I suppose.

Elder Scroll is the same. In fact all Bethesda's PC games are the same.

The UI in Skyrim was bad, terribad. I think 1 point should have been removed from the PC version for this alone.

But they can afford to do it cause like Blizzard they have a lot of hardcore dedicated fans following them. They know the community will solve all the issues the PC version of their games can have and they know the fans will still buy them at full price anyway.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Personally i learned to wait for mods and patches before buying any PC games made by Bethesda. I usually wait for the inevitable goty/legendary/whatever version of their games.

COD BO 3

Ultimately, image quality on console has a very close relationship with rendering resolution, and it's here PS4 gains a considerable advantage: Treyarch uses a dynamic framebuffer in both platforms, but the implementation is less aggressive on PS4 with permanently higher pixel counts compared to the Xbox One game. When the engine is under load, native resolution drops down to 1360x1080, but much of the time we're graced with a native 1080p image. By comparison, outside of cut-scenes, the Xbox One game usually hands in a native 1280x900 presentation, with horizontal resolution dropping down to 1200 pixels fairly often. Not all cut-scenes are locked at 1080 vertical resolution either, and a few of these sequences get the dynamic 900p treatment too.

In comparison to the PC version, texture detail appears to run using a combination of extra and high settings on consoles, while mesh detail is similar in places to both medium and high. Most of the core artwork is a close match to the PC version using the extra preset, but ground details often feature lower resolution textures on consoles, while character texture quality usually looks the same. Geometry details on characters are a match for the maxed PC game too, though many environment objects are rendered with slightly less complexity - such as random debris and broken furniture scattered across the ground.

Elsewhere, anisotropic filtering operates using the medium preset on consoles, leading to blurrier textures at oblique angles, while shadow quality seems to fall somewhere between medium and high. These elements feature similarly dithered edges to PC's medium setting, but with less break up and flicker. Visual effects like motion blur, depth of field and subsurface scattering skin rendering appear identical across all three platforms. Ambient occlusion is a close match for the high preset, while volumetric lighting is a good match for medium settings on PC.

Cutting back on lighting, the amount of effects work and large set-pieces allow Treyarch to reign in performance so that we get far more closer to a stable 60fps throughout the vast majority of multiplayer matches. Occasional dips between 50-60fps create brief moments of stutter, but these last for a few seconds at most before the silky smooth 60fps lock is resumed. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-call-of-duty-black-ops-3-face-off

The XB1 version typically runs at 1280x900? That's appalling. Microsoft needs to release a new console, with 100% backwards compatibility, sooner rather than later.

Both MS and Sony. I am surprised so many of their games are still sub-full HD.

Star Wars

First and foremost, there's the native rendering resolution. PlayStation 4 runs the game at 1600x900 while the Xbox One uses 1280x720. This is consistent with the two previous Battlefield titles but this time around, the results are moderately improved. Anti-aliasing on both consoles is handled by 'FXAA high' as it is labeled on the PC.

Textures play a huge role in Battlefront and in general, consoles appear to match the PC version's high setting. The PC's ultra setting basically provides even higher resolution textures in select circumstances though the two are fairly comparable during normal gameplay. Without comparing directly, it's difficult to find fault with the setting used on consoles but if you have the hardware, the extra clarity in select instances is a nice bonus.

As for texture filtering, it's clear from comparisons that the console versions of the game use the high setting, corresponding to 8x anisotropic filtering. As a high-end 60fps title, we were surprised to find that DICE took this into account but it really makes a tremendous difference here. Of course, the PC version can go up to 16x anisotropic filtering without issue.

Shadow quality is always one of the more demanding settings in a game like this but the console versions manage to perform reasonably well here. However, neither system seems to line up with one of the PC preset options, leading us to suggest that it falls somewhere around medium, but it can also match low and high in different circumstances.

On consoles, based on our testing, we see a LOD distance that is not consistent with any of the PC presets. We noted instances where specific instances of distant geometry were consistent with the ultra setting on PC while other nearby formations would be consistent with high instead.

There is also an adaptive tessellation feature in play on all platforms that more gradually adjusts terrain quality as players approach. Rather than simply cycling between individual LODs, we actually see the terrain warp and skew as we move back and forth. It works well and isn't something we found distracting in the least, unlike the aforementioned LOD pop-in.

More http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-star-wars-battlefront-face-off

Even when most of the games on PS4 run at or very very close to 1080p? Yeah, still not buying your BS Sony hate.

Nah they are mostly at sub par performance. Sony hate? I'm a PS guy since PS1 debuted and have endless Sony electronics. Troll on my friend.

On 11/19/2015, 10:47:42, theyarecomingforyou said:

The XB1 version typically runs at 1280x900? That's appalling. Microsoft needs to release a new console, with 100% backwards compatibility, sooner rather than later.

I think we'll be seeing new consoles a lot quicker than last gen, Wouldn't be surprised to see a new xbox 2 years from now with advancements the way they are at the moment. If Sony can afford to release a new console that soon they won't be far behind. 

12 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

I think we'll be seeing new consoles a lot quicker than last gen, Wouldn't be surprised to see a new xbox 2 years from now with advancements the way they are at the moment. If Sony can afford to release a new console that soon they won't be far behind. 

I think it depends a little on what happens with VR. Either way I think it will be MS strong arming Sony into releasing when MS want another Xbox.

• Like 1

Ouch not good for Just Cause. Playing the previous titles, this was going to be the first game that I pre-ordered in a while! Glad that I didn't

15 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

I think it's closer to 3 years (around Nov. 2018) so they get a 5 year lifespan.  Last gen was 7 but that was unusually (and some say too) long as the prior two generations of PlayStation I believe were 6.  These consoles really came out at a bad time because they came out a year before a new optical format was standardized.  The PS4 essentially just does the same things as the PS3 with respect to discs (Blu-Ray) and encoding/decoding where all prior playstations launched with a new optical format.  Some argue that this generation went digital but that's not true because the PS3 supports digital distribution as well, digital distribution was more of a policy change than a technical advancement this generation.

Since the PS4/Xbox One launched the Ultra HD Blu-Ray has been accepted.  Even if you don't care about Disc-based movies these discs increase the storage capacity of Blu-Ray to 100 GB with 128 Mbit/s.  They also require HEVC support which is needed for 4k@60fps but again even if you don't care about 4k using that more advanced encoding would reduce the bandwidth requirements for even 1080p streams.  This would be VERY useful for things like remote play, playstation vue, netflix, amazon, etc.  HDMI 2.0 is also required for 4k@60fps (Xbox One and PS4 have HDMI 1.4 which can do 4k at 30fps) and the 802.11ac Wifi standard came out after they were launched.

It's really pretty sad you can get a $99 streaming box that does 4k@60fps streaming with hardware HEVC over 802.11ac Wifi and the $300+ game consoles can't do that.  That said I suspect next year will be all about VR for PlayStation and both Sony and MS will launch the "slim" versions of their consoles with the APU shrunk from 28nm to either 14nm or 16nm depending on which fab they go with.  Also I think they'll want to wait and see what it is Nintendo launches with the NX.  I suspect the PS5/Xbox Two will launch with APUs designed on the 10nm process.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2015, 11:40:41, Audioboxer said:

I think it depends a little on what happens with VR. Either way I think it will be MS strong arming Sony into releasing when MS want another Xbox.

Completely forgot about VR pushing things forward even more for, I'm not that interested in what Sony or Microsoft are offering at the moment as amazing as both products are but your right depending on the attachment rate this gen and if it looks to have legs more then Kinect and Move.

On 12/2/2015, 6:48:24, Polonium said:

With the way the PS4 is selling, I can't see a new PS any time soon.

They won't have  a choice eventually.

*NEW* PS4 & Xbox One resolution and frame rate summary.

PS4:

1080p - 72/81 Games  (88.9%)

60fps -  46/81 Games (56.8%)

- Both 1080p & 60fps - 44/81 (54.3%)

Xbox One:

1080p -30/69 Games (43.4%)

60fps - 32/69 Games (46.3%)

- Both 1080p & 60fps - 14/69  (20.2%)

Source: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Please note these resolutions and frame rates are provided by game publishers and do not represent average fps and in some case don't seem to indicate if game is upscaled or native 1080p.

For example COD Ghosts on Xbox One is written as native 1080p on source article while other sources indicate it is 720p native upscaled to 1080p. I don't have the time to verify all 150+ games but it is safe to assume X1 will have more upscaled games than PS4  rather than native 1080p.

Difference between native 1080p and upscaled 1080p.

Looks like the long list of changes / software upgrades to the Xbox One that people had hoped would put it on the same level playing field as the PS4 still hasn't come to fruition. PS4 still outperforms the Xbox One.

• Like 3

Having recently purchased an Xbox, it's clear to see that it's in no way close to the power of the PS4.

This being said, the exclusives are good fun and I'm pretty sure that's what gaming is all about

It is clear to me the Xbox One has the best games selection the best user interface, the best controller, and it is close enough in my opinion for reso!ution to not ruin the games.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Polonium said:

Having recently purchased an Xbox, it's clear to see that it's in no way close to the power of the PS4.

This being said, the exclusives are good fun and I'm pretty sure that's what gaming is all about

As an owner of both since day 1, claiming its "in no way close to the power of the PS4" is just stupid.

• Like 2