Photo

Windows 8.1 Boot to desktop Selection screen mockup.

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 January 2014 - 16:36

I know this probably won't be happening in Update 1 from the looks of it, But I was bored and thought I would create a mockup of a selection screen that would be presented to the user. Let me know what you think.

fwv4.jpg

Here is a bonus Mockup!

3v6m.jpg

#2 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 31 January 2014 - 16:39

+1 for this mockup...

#3 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 31 January 2014 - 17:41

Can we have an option screen to choose whether we want this option screen to be displayed or not?

#4 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 January 2014 - 17:48

No. There is no legitimate reason users need to choose this stuff when the desktop is one click away. There is no reason Microsoft cannot unify their offerings, especially when the start screen does not prohibit the pinning of desktop apps. Again, you're not going to have that menu forever, at one point or another, you have to move on.

#5 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 17:49

No. There is no legitimate reason users need to choose this stuff when the desktop tile is one click away. There is no reason Microsoft cannot unify their offerings, especially when the start screen does not prohibit the pinning of desktop apps.

Its called choice.

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2014 - 17:54

Its called choice.

What? How is the start screen prohibiting you from using the desktop?

#7 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 31 January 2014 - 17:59

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think most users will know what to choose. Windows should itself choose the most sensible default depending on which device it's running on: desktop + start menu* on traditional PCs, and Start Screen on touch devices.

* by start menu I don't necessarily mean the exact Windows 7 start menu, but a desktop-friendly equivalent.

#8 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 January 2014 - 18:07

They can detect touch enabled hardware already. I hope it is an automatic setting that everyone can override on their own.

I know this probably won't be happening in Update 1 from the looks of it, But I was bored and thought I would create a mockup of a selection screen that would be presented to the user. Let me know what you think.

You are ignoring keyboard users :p

Please click or tap or select&press-enter to select your default screen.

:rofl:

I hope I didn't offend keyboard users by forcing them to read click or tap or

#9 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2014 - 18:10

Even if you don't use Metro apps, how is the Start Screen not already part of the desktop? It works the same as the old Start Menu, and takes you right back to the desktop if launching desktop applications.

#10 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 31 January 2014 - 18:18

No, just no...There is no reason for the full startmenu to return. Nor for those options.

#11 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2014 - 19:45

Its called choice.

The choice already exists and takes two seconds to make. We don't need a full screen selection app for every option in the OS.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think most users will know what to choose. Windows should itself choose the most sensible default depending on which device it's running on: desktop + start menu* on traditional PCs, and Start Screen on touch devices.

* by start menu I don't necessarily mean the exact Windows 7 start menu, but a desktop-friendly equivalent.

The Start Screen is perfectly desktop-friendly.

#12 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 31 January 2014 - 19:51

There is no need for screens like this.

MS created Metro and that's Windows now.

The option to boot to desktop is still there, that's more then enough.

There was no option, during the setup of Windows 95, to select the old progman as your default was there?

The new features should always be the default! There are options to change them if you like

#13 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 31 January 2014 - 19:51

I like the first photo, it looks nice. I don't know why people are getting mad and complaining about it. How does it hurt you to click a one time setup choice and never see it again? There's no need to take it personally that some people don't like Metro and for those who don't ever want to see it this would be a nice customization option when they create their account. As for the second though I really don't think the classic start menu is ever going to return (it feels strange to call it the classic start menu when the actual classic start menu was removed in Windows 7; maybe we should call it the Aero Start Menu).

#14 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 31 January 2014 - 19:55

And who gets to decide what a "sensible" default is? I prefer the Screen over the little menu, so for me that would be the sensible default, regardless of the device form factor. Let the people choose for themselves, rather than having the machine guess. I feel the Screen works very well on traditional PCs.

And it should be easy to switch, just in case the person changes his mind or wants to try the other option.

No, just no...There is no reason for the full startmenu to return. Nor for those options.

I disagree. There's no harm in providing the options. But the new elements should be the default, not the old. While Microsoft should allow people to use the old ways, it's also perfectly acceptable for them to promote the new and encourage their use.

#15 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 31 January 2014 - 21:50

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think most users will know what to choose.

Oh, I disagree. I suspect the vast majority of users will know exactly which one to choose.....

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!