Photo

Windows 8.1 Boot to desktop Selection screen mockup.

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 31 January 2014 - 22:02

Oh, I disagree. I suspect the vast majority of users will know exactly which one to choose.....

How are they supposed to make a choice without knowledge of what each alternative entails? Unless you assume most users are intimately familiar with the "Start Screen" and "Desktop" as abstract concepts. I would say most desktop users aren't even conscious of the "Desktop" as a user interface and, even with extensive experience with it, wouldn't understand what they're looking at from those screenshots, much less what the choice means.

#17 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 31 January 2014 - 22:27

How are they supposed to make a choice without knowledge of what each alternative entails? Unless you assume most users are intimately familiar with the "Start Screen" and "Desktop" as abstract concepts. I would say most desktop users aren't even conscious of the "Desktop" as a user interface and, even with extensive experience with it, wouldn't understand what they're looking at from those screenshots, much less what the choice means.

C'mon man, seriously...??? Assuming people are stupid is how ms got into trouble in the first place. People ARE smart enough, they DO know what they want.... and the choice WILL be made.(or should I say HAS been made...)??

#18 Devmer11

Devmer11

Microsoft Enthusiast

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 31 January 2014 - 22:53

just deal with it or buy classic shell this is Microsoft's vision if you don't want it stay on 7 or move to osx or Linux

#19 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:01

Oh, I disagree. I suspect the vast majority of users will know exactly which one to choose.....

The vast majority of people that actually use W8 have no problem with the start screen and a lot of the ones that stayed away because of bad word of mouth have no real idea what the supposed problems are, they just hear 'it's bad' and that's that. See Vista. I know way more that never tried 8 but don't know what's so terrible about it than I know users who ditched 8 and I fear MS is going to do more harm by backpedaling instead of organically improving what they now have. The first screen kinda makes sense but seeing a screenshot of the old, dusty start menu makes me realize that I don't miss it at all.

#20 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:14

C'mon man, seriously...??? Assuming people are stupid is how ms got into trouble in the first place. People ARE smart enough, they DO know what they want.... and the choice WILL be made.(or should I say HAS been made...)??

Then I guess we have a different experience of "average users". I base my opinion on my fair share of helping out others with their computers and asking them how they work. Apart from me and people I know from my domain of expertise (i.e. software), I don't think anyone would have the knowledge required to make an informed and meaningful decision, faced with that screen.

#21 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:15

Not sure how clicking a tile is any different than clicking an icon. If you don't want to do that, there are other ways of doing things that have been in Windows forever. WIN+S, and you can search for the thing you want. Don't want to do that either? Then make a toolbar on the taskbar, and store your program shortcuts in there.

There's no reason Microsoft needs to be held back from trying new things all because you're afraid of tiles and charms.

#22 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:18

Classic start menu will never come back. If anything, it will be changed like what happened from 9.x to XP. And it may not be a menu. May still be the screen with more/better options.

#23 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:23

Again, you're not going to have that menu forever, at one point or another, you have to move on.

Of course not. But MS has a long history of giving people choice. They didnt do that with Win8. Implement the new way but give users more options or a familiar way as well. And with all the rumors and leaks recently, it appears MS is listening.

#24 mdtaUK

mdtaUK

mdta - graphic designer

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:28

You can't replace the start screen altogether.  There would be no way to access the store, the new apps, or their live tiles.

#25 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:28

I haven't noticed Microsoft saying "please" with these sorts of things, though.

#26 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 31 January 2014 - 23:34

I don't think major UI overhauls that add or change functionality have ever been optional. The notion of giving a choice is simply going to ensure that people stick with what they're familiar with rather than get used to interacting with new features.

#27 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 February 2014 - 00:03

Classic start menu will never come back. If anything, it will be changed like what happened from 9.x to XP. And it may not be a menu. May still be the screen with more/better options.

Correct and if the Classic start menu did come back it would be "Because of the whiners ... OMG you ruined windows 8" :D

#28 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 01 February 2014 - 00:10

Correct and if the Classic start menu did come back it would be "Because of the whiners ... OMG you ruined windows 8" :D

Exactly. When Microsoft makes changes that I approve, it's because they took the right decision. When Microsoft makes changes that I don't like, it's because they listened to the [insert derogatory term here]s.  :laugh:

#29 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 February 2014 - 00:18

MS just needs to find a good balance that will appeal to most users.

#30 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 01 February 2014 - 00:33

I'll probably get in a lot of trouble for leaking this, but here's the actual selection screen from the latest build.

Win81MetroSelectScreen.png