Windows 7 to Windows 8.1

Haven't posted for help on Neowin for a while so hopefully someone can help me out with a few questions.

Currently running Windows 7 Professional x64 on my Desktop installed into a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. Also in my computer is a D:/ drive with my programs all installed into a Program Files folder on that drive (along with Music etc) - this is a 640GB Western Digital Black.

MY question is if I format my C drive (Windows installed onto it) and install Windows 8.1 Professional would my file system be screwed up as far as my programs are concerned that are installed onto my D drive.

Not too concerned with Steam games and my Music as those are easily retrieved, more concerned with VMware Workstation, World of Warcraft, Visual Studio 2012 and SQL Server 2012.

Thanks for the help!

TL;DR: Windows installed in C, programs installed in D - C is 120GB SSD, D is 640GB HDD, any issues with my programs/filesystem when formatting C and installing W8.1 onto it. 

Yes, if you format the programs that rely on your registry to function will not work.

Why not just do an upgrade install?

Wasn't sure if it would affect performance, but if it's going to cause registry issues I may have no choice. I really wanted to exhaust all options before doing an upgrade install - going from Vista to Windows 7 was a nightmare for me previously upgrade wise and I ended up doing a fresh install (given at the time I didn't have as many programs) 

Wasn't sure if it would affect performance, but if it's going to cause registry issues I may have no choice. I really wanted to exhaust all options before doing an upgrade install - going from Vista to Windows 7 was a nightmare for me previously upgrade wise and I ended up doing a fresh install (given at the time I didn't have as many programs) 

microsoft improved a lot with the windows 8 upgrade process so you should be fine. there's always the refresh option after upgrade if you need it (it should leave your programs installed i do believe, just fixes up system files)

microsoft improved a lot with the windows 8 upgrade process so you should be fine. there's always the refresh option after upgrade if you need it (it should leave your programs installed i do believe, just fixes up system files)

Gotcha thanks for the help. 

Alright so looks like I had to do w7 to w8 then from w8 to 8.1 to retain all my applications.

Otherwise looks like everything is good now and I don't need ultramon anymore either :D