PS4 Firmware 1.62

Does the PS4 grab updates in standby mode?  I haven't turned the PS4 on in about a week or so.  

Mine usually has the latest one downloaded for me by the time I get home from work, so yes? I'm not sure what the requirements are for it to do so, but mine does.

Yeah, the console definitely can download updates in the background while the system is in standby.

I just wish it would install them in standby as well. I hate trying to use vita remote only to find out that there was an update waiting to be installed (meaning I can't connect).

I just wish it would install them in standby as well. I hate trying to use vita remote only to find out that there was an update waiting to be installed (meaning I can't connect).

Yeah, neither console offers that feature. Either its a software/firmware issue, or there is a practicle reason they dont want to impliment that. In the pc world, it would require something like connected standby where the device actaully powers up to do the installation and then goes back to sleep.

Yeah, neither console offers that feature. Either its a software/firmware issue, or there is a practicle reason they dont want to impliment that. In the pc world, it would require something like connected standby where the device actaully powers up to do the installation and then goes back to sleep.

It's because for legal reasons they want you to accept the TOS, so they won't do auto install. At least that's what makes the most sense to me.

Yep, they wobble, but it does not affect reliability of the console. Mine shows no movement while say playing a disc based game/bluray movie. You can make it wobble and that is about it.

The side has no rubber feet at all. Mine still wobbles.

One side doesn't, the console is weighted more at one side than the other hence when left on it's own it won't move or wobble. Only when pressure is applied. IIRC it's so that it can fit into the official stand for vertical operation.

One side doesn't, the console is weighted more at one side than the other hence when left on it's own it won't move or wobble. Only when pressure is applied. IIRC it's so that it can fit into the official stand for vertical operation.

No I mean when my PS4 is vertical, mine wobbles like it does when it's laying flat.

No I mean when my PS4 is vertical, mine wobbles like it does when it's laying flat.

If the surface of the console is completely flat then that's just an uneven surface you're sitting it on. Do you have the official stand or are just placing it vertically on it's own?

If the surface of the console is completely flat then that's just an uneven surface you're sitting it on. Do you have the official stand or are just placing it vertically on it's own?

It's sat vertically on a flat wooden desk.

It's sat vertically on a flat wooden desk.

Well two genuinely flat surfaces together isn't going to cause anything to wobble unless you upset the balance. Basic physics :p If you own no stand maybe best to get one? The PS4 is quite slim, so it's sides aren't that wide for support, hence the stand expanding the width.

Pretty sure it has, 2 games are too intensive, but an app and a game are okay.

Yeah it makes perfect sense to be able to do it, I just don't ever remember being presented with a menu asking what I wanted to close.  Maybe I just didn't try in the correct way before.

New firmware is out.

Includes: 

* Picture quality during DVD playback has been improved

* Wireless stereo headsets are now supported

* You can now mute the Playstation Camera

* System software stability has been improved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is basically the same as 1.60 firmware, so not sure exactly what has been updated. 

It would be nice if they could address the loud fan issues with a firmware update. Not sure if firmware can resolve that though.

It would be nice if they could address the loud fan issues with a firmware update. Not sure if firmware can resolve that though.

Which loud fan issues in particular?

One of the biggest omissions so far is they have not gotten power gating working correctly, if at all.  So the machine uses far too much power than it should do.  For example it ought to be able to run Netflix without engaging the GPU but can't do that yet.

They have also not gotten background tasks working correctly, for example downloading things in standby mode engages the Jaguar CPU when really it should only be using the ARM chip. Well at least that was the plan originally anyway.

So there are a lot more tasks which use more resources than they actually need and engages the fans too much. Is that what you mean by loud fan issue, or just that the overall volume of them is loud?  Either way the things I mentioned there ought to be fixable by firmware updates.

Which loud fan issues in particular?

One of the biggest omissions so far is they have not gotten power gating working correctly, if at all.  So the machine uses far too much power than it should do.  For example it ought to be able to run Netflix without engaging the GPU but can't do that yet.

They have also not gotten background tasks working correctly, for example downloading things in standby mode engages the Jaguar CPU when really it should only be using the ARM chip. Well at least that was the plan originally anyway.

So there are a lot more tasks which use more resources than they actually need and engages the fans too much. Is that what you mean by loud fan issue, or just that the overall volume of them is loud?  Either way the things I mentioned there ought to be fixable by firmware updates.

Just the fan taking off and sounding loud for us when playing games. Usually gets going after about 15 minutes of gameplay and then continues on from there.

• 1 month later...

(yes old news - Ignore this post, just spring cleaning GH)

Title Updated

PlayStation 4 System Update 1.62 Released, Weighs 336 MB
by Giuseppe Nelva on March 18, 2014 5:17 AM 85 @abriael

PS4-logo-201_440.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment just released a new system software update for the PS4, which is now available for download on your console.

The update weighs 336 megabytes and the patch notes are most definitely brief:

Operation quality during use of some PlayStation 4 software has been improved.

Upon installation no change was visible on the console?s UI, confirming that we?re looking at one of the usual small ?tweaking? patches released to improve performance here and there. No details on the specifics were provided by Sony Computer Entertainment.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/18/playstation-4-system-update-1-62-released/

• 3 weeks later...

Envisager (community manager for SSSE) confirmed that on Wednesday, the 30th April, Firmware 1.7 for the PS4 will go live. 

Sauce: https://twitter.com/Envisager_/status/459602877104029696

Also since I cant edit my original post (who disabled that feature anyway?) Can a mod who can edit that post update the title to 'Latest PS4 Firmwares' so it stays current and relevant, since this thread is pinned? 

Envisager (community manager for SSSE) confirmed that on Wednesday, the 30th April, Firmware 1.7 for the PS4 will go live. 

Sauce: https://twitter.com/Envisager_/status/459602877104029696

Also since I cant edit my original post (who disabled that feature anyway?) Can a mod who can edit that post update the title to 'Latest PS4 Firmwares' so it stays current and relevant, since this thread is pinned? 

I think subs lose the ability to edit after x hours or days.

As for the topic, like the X1/Wii U/3DS pins we just rotate them out as the new versions are released. I'll probably edit this topic and pin it since it already has 4 pages of 1.7fw discussion.