McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 February 2014 - 23:22

#92 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:14

Pretty sure it has, 2 games are too intensive, but an app and a game are okay.

Yeah it makes perfect sense to be able to do it, I just don't ever remember being presented with a menu asking what I wanted to close.  Maybe I just didn't try in the correct way before.

#93 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 20 February 2014 - 22:26

Kind of hoping the Japanese launch will bring new features, not that confident now that 1.61 appeared with nothing.

#94 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:59

New firmware is out.

Includes: 
* Picture quality during DVD playback has been improved
* Wireless stereo headsets are now supported
* You can now mute the Playstation Camera
* System software stability has been improved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is basically the same as 1.60 firmware, so not sure exactly what has been updated. 

It would be nice if they could address the loud fan issues with a firmware update. Not sure if firmware can resolve that though.

#95 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:13

It would be nice if they could address the loud fan issues with a firmware update. Not sure if firmware can resolve that though.

Which loud fan issues in particular?

One of the biggest omissions so far is they have not gotten power gating working correctly, if at all.  So the machine uses far too much power than it should do.  For example it ought to be able to run Netflix without engaging the GPU but can't do that yet.

They have also not gotten background tasks working correctly, for example downloading things in standby mode engages the Jaguar CPU when really it should only be using the ARM chip. Well at least that was the plan originally anyway.

So there are a lot more tasks which use more resources than they actually need and engages the fans too much. Is that what you mean by loud fan issue, or just that the overall volume of them is loud?  Either way the things I mentioned there ought to be fixable by firmware updates.

#96 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 24 February 2014 - 15:44

Which loud fan issues in particular?

One of the biggest omissions so far is they have not gotten power gating working correctly, if at all.  So the machine uses far too much power than it should do.  For example it ought to be able to run Netflix without engaging the GPU but can't do that yet.

They have also not gotten background tasks working correctly, for example downloading things in standby mode engages the Jaguar CPU when really it should only be using the ARM chip. Well at least that was the plan originally anyway.

So there are a lot more tasks which use more resources than they actually need and engages the fans too much. Is that what you mean by loud fan issue, or just that the overall volume of them is loud?  Either way the things I mentioned there ought to be fixable by firmware updates.

Just the fan taking off and sounding loud for us when playing games. Usually gets going after about 15 minutes of gameplay and then continues on from there.

#97 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 05 April 2014 - 13:57

(yes old news - Ignore this post, just spring cleaning GH)

Title Updated

PlayStation 4 System Update 1.62 Released, Weighs 336 MB
by Giuseppe Nelva on March 18, 2014 5:17 AM 85 @abriael

PS4-logo-201_440.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment just released a new system software update for the PS4, which is now available for download on your console.

The update weighs 336 megabytes and the patch notes are most definitely brief:

Operation quality during use of some PlayStation 4 software has been improved.

Upon installation no change was visible on the console’s UI, confirming that we’re looking at one of the usual small “tweaking” patches released to improve performance here and there. No details on the specifics were provided by Sony Computer Entertainment.

http://www.dualshock...-1-62-released/

#98 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:52

Envisager (community manager for SSSE) confirmed that on Wednesday, the 30th April, Firmware 1.7 for the PS4 will go live. 

Sauce: https://twitter.com/...02877104029696

Also since I cant edit my original post (who disabled that feature anyway?) Can a mod who can edit that post update the title to 'Latest PS4 Firmwares' so it stays current and relevant, since this thread is pinned? 

#99 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:40

Envisager (community manager for SSSE) confirmed that on Wednesday, the 30th April, Firmware 1.7 for the PS4 will go live. 

Sauce: https://twitter.com/...02877104029696

Also since I cant edit my original post (who disabled that feature anyway?) Can a mod who can edit that post update the title to 'Latest PS4 Firmwares' so it stays current and relevant, since this thread is pinned? 

I think subs lose the ability to edit after x hours or days.

As for the topic, like the X1/Wii U/3DS pins we just rotate them out as the new versions are released. I'll probably edit this topic and pin it since it already has 4 pages of 1.7fw discussion.