Site (domain) outage update

Was sitting here all like, "SOMEONE'S TRYING TO SCAM ME INTO LOGGING IN TO NEOW.IN!!"

Then I realized no one in their right mind would try to steal my Neowin account. :laugh:

Had to use Google's DNS to get here though.

Just realized how badly I'd miss this site if it were gone...

Well, at least my mac is giving me some humor about this, when ever I type the short url autocorrect changes it to meow.in 

No go with COX's DNS, hopefully tomorrow.  But I bet I will keep using the new short url from time to time=)

Isn't neogmr.net dead or something?

hey, the site is backkkkkkkkkkkkk!  :woot:   :shiftyninja:

time to start commenting again! :shiftyninja:  :shiftyninja:  :shiftyninja:  :shiftyninja:   :)

One thing I noticed and not sure if the admin are aware, when I get a like or a quoted post, I click on the persons profile and it takes me back to neow.in. 

But thats a small thing, main thing is - YAY IT WORKS AGAIN XD

a lot of things don't work for me, since I still can't access neowin.net. Most notifications and pictures for example

Welcome back, All! :woot:

:punk:

Test quote, just to see if quote system is working.......

a lot of things don't work for me, since I still can't access neowin.net. Most notifications and pictures for example

Yeah, I'm still getting random redirects to neow.in and a couple of quote problems

(   )

Quoted from https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1194771-2014-random-funny-pictures-thread/page-106#entry596245423

• Like 2

Test quote, just to see if quote system is working.......

Yeah, I'm still getting random redirects to neow.in and a couple of quote problems

(   )

Quoted from https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1194771-2014-random-funny-pictures-thread/page-106#entry596245423

No you don't get me, if I visit www.neowin.net I get page not resolved, and huge amounts of the neow.in domain seem to rely on neowin.net so they are broken

Still showing tons of DNS servers not updated yet.

This is one of those lack of understanding/wrong use of terms that just gets my goat..  So I am compelled to try and correct what I feel is FUD that gets spread about dns servers updating.  They do not get updated, there are servers where the TTL has yet to expire and have not gone and refreshed their info yet - they are still caching old data would be a better way to word it.

The second an SOA creates or changes a record it is available to the world - changes do not propagate, etc.  If you query any of the gtld servers, these are not roots - these are the SOA for the tld, hence the names of them - so say a.gtld-servers.net you see that the nameservers have a ttl of 172800 seconds or 48 hours..

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:                                          

neowin.net.             172800  IN      NS      ns1.neowin.net.

neowin.net.             172800  IN      NS      ns2.neowin.net.

neowin.net.             172800  IN      NS      ns3.neowin.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:                                         

ns1.neowin.net.         172800  IN      A       74.204.71.249  

ns2.neowin.net.         172800  IN      A       74.204.71.250  

ns3.neowin.net.         172800  IN      A       208.43.57.26 

So if the current nameserver your using, be it your router, who asks your isp ns, or opendns or googledns, etc. etc..  If you feel that a record is stale or whatever - you can always just query the authoritative server for that domain directly, just look it up via a whois or simple query to the gtld servers yourself with your favorite tool, be it nslookup, dig or host, etc..

Now all those servers you list will continue to go ask other NS for neowin if they cached that badwhois ns entries which don't exist so queries timeout, etc.  But once the ttl expires and a ns no longer caches something - it will sit there not knowing anything about that domain until someone asks for it there is no updating of anything other than the entries on the SOA.  All other NSes query for it and then cache it for the length of the ttl.

If your having issues resolving -- just query the ns for the domain directly, then your local dhs cache will keep that until the ttl expires.

^ operates equally???  What - are you saying they are not paying attention to the TTL?  What exactly is such a statement suppose to mean?

BudMan, Happy Birthday :D Not everyone understands how it works, no need to get worked up over it. I don't know that sort of thing either, I let Marcel and Dave worry about that lol.