Windows 8.1 2014 Update Leaked To Web

As anticipated by many people, a X64 version of the Win8.1 2014 Update has been leaked from a European site(pretend that we won't notice the watermarks, LOL :laugh: )

9600.16596.WINBLUES14_GDR_LEAN.140114-0237

Changes in build:

- Pinning metro apps to desktop taskbar.
- Classic taskbar in ModernApp (Bugged).
- Link to classic Control Panel in PC Settings.
- Shutdown button on the start screen.
- Search button on the start screen.
- Context Menu appears when you right-click on the ModernApp (Tiles).
- Tittle on the ModernApp and close button.
- Sorted App list in Apps screen (all programs) by default.
- Update Internet Explorer to 11.0.3.
- Hidden "Enterprise Mode" in Internet Explorer (in develop).

FHHa.png
FHHc.png
FHHb.png
FHHd.png
FHHe.png
FHHf.png

Yay! I'm excited! 

Edit: Found a Video

All Apps is Alphabetically sorted. Hopefully we can disable the top bar with the close button, I was fine with dragging it down to the bottom even with a mouse.

So confirmed NO boot to desktop in this leak?

It's been confirmed since 8.1. You can already boot to desktop in it.

Awesome, didn't see that in 8.1. So they haven't removed that feature at least.

Thanks for the heads up.

Just seemed odd it was a touted feature in update 1 that I thought it was a 'new thing'.

Edited by Raa

I thought you could already boot to dekstop in regular 8.1

No

t that I see the big deal anyway, you don't start a computer to sit on the desktop, at some point you have to start an app anyway, and the start screen is a good place to keep shortcuts ;)

videos seem to go a lot back and forth on useless stuff and not show off a lot of the actual new stuff though...

This build looks pretty buggy so at the most i'd say to use it in a VM till something newer leaks or March comes and it goes final.

Again: taskbar in metro apps is a dumb idea.

Don't see why it wouldn't be useful, if all you're using is the Modern side of things you wouldn't see the taskbar anyway, nothing's changed, but if you're switching between Modern and desktop programs you can switch/etc just like before. 

But yea, by that video anyway it looks fairly buggy yet.. toy with it in a VM but will wait for the final release before it goes on a real install.

Just seemed odd it was a touted feature in update 1 that I thought it was a 'new thing'.

I think what you are referring to is boot to the desktop as being on by default. it was like that in one build,so that's why you heard about it, but I don't believe its in the recent build or will be in the final build.

The taskbar vanishing when you click on a metro app and not coming back is by design I bet. Until you have metro apps in windows the taskbar gets in the way with the app bar at the bottom.  The buggy bit is the new app title bar for mouse users as the video shows.

Also saying "full screen apps are a dumb idea" is a dumb comment. Even on the desktop, lots of apps work best when they're full screen, specially any creative tools. I've never used PhotoShop windowed, it's always full screen. Same with others, hell some even extend the apps to multiple monitors.

• Like 2

I installed this quick last night and from what I saw I like the improvements.  Context menus on the start screen are AWESOME.  Finally don't feel like I have to move my mouse across the screen 500000000000000 times to do simple resize/rearrange tasks.  I also like the titlebar on metro apps, makes it much more convenient to use with a mouse.

Last but certainly not least, the shutdown button right on the start screen is a VERY welcome change, something myself and others have been advocating for since the Windows 8 Developer Preview.  Glad the folks in redmond finally realized we were right,

I installed this quick last night and from what I saw I like the improvements.  Context menus on the start screen are AWESOME.  Finally don't feel like I have to move my mouse across the screen 500000000000000 times to do simple resize/rearrange tasks.  I also like the titlebar on metro apps, makes it much more convenient to use with a mouse.

Last but certainly not least, the shutdown button right on the start screen is a VERY welcome change, something myself and others have been advocating for since the Windows 8 Developer Preview.  Glad the folks in redmond finally realized we were right,

Chris123NT - it's only useful if the Power button on your hardware is nearly-inaccessible or inaccessible, for the simple reason that Windows 8 and later have improved massively at handling cold shutdowns.  (A cold shutdown is simply powering off.)  Some of those improvements HAVE filtered back to earlier versions of Windows - even XP; still, because too many of those earlier versions of Windows are still woefully out of date (regardless of why), it's far LESS likely that I would give the cold-shutdown treatment to any PC that is running a version of Windows earlier than 8.

Yay! I'm excited! 

All Apps is Alphabetically sorted. Hopefully we can disable the top bar with the close button, I was fine with dragging it down to the bottom even with a mouse.

All Apps (the AppScreen) have been sorted first by Group, then alphabetically within each group, since 8.1 - not news.  (Server 2012/R2 acts the same way.)

Looking forward to changes in Internet Explorer... Web Browser freak...

Liked every change they made in Update 1. Still looking forward to more polishing.

Again, full screen apps you can't window is a dumb idea.

Not really if you try to remember that there is a metro "taskbar" on the side.

Don't see why it wouldn't be useful, if all you're using is the Modern side of things you wouldn't see the taskbar anyway, nothing's changed, but if you're switching between Modern and desktop programs you can switch/etc just like before. 

But yea, by that video anyway it looks fairly buggy yet.. toy with it in a VM but will wait for the final release before it goes on a real install.

I wasn't referring to the desktop as such, they can add a mile high taskbar there if they want. Just don't put that in metro apps and take up unecessary screen space.

If they have to add one, they should at least try to merge the metro switcher with the taskbar without taking any space on the screen. Although that might confuse a lot of "power users" here due to its user hostile nature. :p

The taskbar vanishing when you click on a metro app and not coming back is by design I bet. Until you have metro apps in windows the taskbar gets in the way with the app bar at the bottom.  The buggy bit is the new app title bar for mouse users as the video shows.

Also saying "full screen apps are a dumb idea" is a dumb comment. Even on the desktop, lots of apps work best when they're full screen, specially any creative tools. I've never used PhotoShop windowed, it's always full screen. Same with others, hell some even extend the apps to multiple monitors.

I still don't get the hate towards working full screen. :laugh:

I am at work right now (1:44PM EST). The only windowed apps I have are Skype, Lync and shells (cmd, git). I run everything else maximized (IE, Ff, Outlook, N++, Remote desktops, vmware/vnc consoles, excel, onenote, eclipse and explorer are currently open).

I can't be the only one in this universe?

• Like 2

Yay! I'm excited! 

Great, so instead of just simply dragging to close, you're now going to fight the app for 5 minutes before you can click the X.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 Preview: Hands-on with Build 16596

A surprising number of fun little improvements by Paul Thurrott

Since I absolutely refuse to give Paul any clicks, I wanna take a guess at what his article infers: He praises whatever changes he details all the while complaining about not enough being done to reverse the changes he so openly praised nearly a year and a half ago?

I still don't get the hate towards working full screen. :laugh:

I am at work right now (1:44PM EST). The only windowed apps I have are Skype, Lync and shells (cmd, git). I run everything else maximized (IE, Ff, Outlook, N++, Remote desktops, vmware/vnc consoles, excel, onenote, eclipse and explorer are currently open).

I can't be the only one in this universe?

As of right now: 2:06PM The only thing I have full screen is Visual Studio and Microsoft word.  Currently windowed: Outlook, Notepad++, WLM Messenger, Chrome, Google Play Music, Eclipse, and RealVNC.

Paul seems to be the only one who picked up on the app install notification text in the bottom left next to the arrow, nice little tweak.

I also see that the keyboard language option in the taskbar (ENG) has moved to inside the notification area/system tray not sitting outside the arrow for the system tray.

So confirmed NO boot to desktop in this leak?

I think the idea is Update 1 will boot directly to the desktop by default when Windows 8.1 update 1 is first set up. Not just as an option.

Great, so instead of just simply dragging to close, you're now going to fight the app for 5 minutes before you can click the X.

You can still probably use the drag method, so what's the big deal?

As of right now: 2:06PM The only thing I have full screen is Visual Studio and Microsoft word.  Currently windowed: Outlook, Notepad++, WLM Messenger, Chrome, Google Play Music, Eclipse, and RealVNC.

so why are full screen apps a dumb idea?