Windows 8.1 2014 Update Leaked To Web

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 03 February 2014 - 18:39

Looking forward to changes in Internet Explorer... Web Browser freak...

Liked every change they made in Update 1. Still looking forward to more polishing.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 03 February 2014 - 18:40

Again, full screen apps you can't window is a dumb idea.

Not really if you try to remember that there is a metro "taskbar" on the side.

Don't see why it wouldn't be useful, if all you're using is the Modern side of things you wouldn't see the taskbar anyway, nothing's changed, but if you're switching between Modern and desktop programs you can switch/etc just like before. 

But yea, by that video anyway it looks fairly buggy yet.. toy with it in a VM but will wait for the final release before it goes on a real install.

I wasn't referring to the desktop as such, they can add a mile high taskbar there if they want. Just don't put that in metro apps and take up unecessary screen space.

If they have to add one, they should at least try to merge the metro switcher with the taskbar without taking any space on the screen. Although that might confuse a lot of "power users" here due to its user hostile nature. :p

#18 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 February 2014 - 18:47

The taskbar vanishing when you click on a metro app and not coming back is by design I bet. Until you have metro apps in windows the taskbar gets in the way with the app bar at the bottom.  The buggy bit is the new app title bar for mouse users as the video shows.

Also saying "full screen apps are a dumb idea" is a dumb comment. Even on the desktop, lots of apps work best when they're full screen, specially any creative tools. I've never used PhotoShop windowed, it's always full screen. Same with others, hell some even extend the apps to multiple monitors.

I still don't get the hate towards working full screen. :laugh:

I am at work right now (1:44PM EST). The only windowed apps I have are Skype, Lync and shells (cmd, git). I run everything else maximized (IE, Ff, Outlook, N++, Remote desktops, vmware/vnc consoles, excel, onenote, eclipse and explorer are currently open).

I can't be the only one in this universe?

#19 calimike

calimike

Neowinian

Posted 03 February 2014 - 18:58

Windows 8.1 Update 1 Preview: Hands-on with Build 16596
A surprising number of fun little improvements by Paul Thurrott

#20 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:01

Yay! I'm excited! 

Edit: Found a Video

All Apps is Alphabetically sorted. Hopefully we can disable the top bar with the close button, I was fine with dragging it down to the bottom even with a mouse.

Great, so instead of just simply dragging to close, you're now going to fight the app for 5 minutes before you can click the X.

Since I absolutely refuse to give Paul any clicks, I wanna take a guess at what his article infers: He praises whatever changes he details all the while complaining about not enough being done to reverse the changes he so openly praised nearly a year and a half ago?

#21 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:05

I still don't get the hate towards working full screen. :laugh:

I am at work right now (1:44PM EST). The only windowed apps I have are Skype, Lync and shells (cmd, git). I run everything else maximized (IE, Ff, Outlook, N++, Remote desktops, vmware/vnc consoles, excel, onenote, eclipse and explorer are currently open).

I can't be the only one in this universe?

As of right now: 2:06PM The only thing I have full screen is Visual Studio and Microsoft word.  Currently windowed: Outlook, Notepad++, WLM Messenger, Chrome, Google Play Music, Eclipse, and RealVNC.

#22 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:15

Paul seems to be the only one who picked up on the app install notification text in the bottom left next to the arrow, nice little tweak.

#23 +ians18

ians18

Neowin's Best

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 & Lumia "Black" firmware

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:37

I also see that the keyboard language option in the taskbar (ENG) has moved to inside the notification area/system tray not sitting outside the arrow for the system tray.

It's been confirmed since 8.1. You can already boot to desktop in it.

So confirmed NO boot to desktop in this leak?

I think the idea is Update 1 will boot directly to the desktop by default when Windows 8.1 update 1 is first set up. Not just as an option.

#24 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:37

Great, so instead of just simply dragging to close, you're now going to fight the app for 5 minutes before you can click the X.

You can still probably use the drag method, so what's the big deal?

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:44

As of right now: 2:06PM The only thing I have full screen is Visual Studio and Microsoft word.  Currently windowed: Outlook, Notepad++, WLM Messenger, Chrome, Google Play Music, Eclipse, and RealVNC.

so why are full screen apps a dumb idea?

#26 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:47

The drag method still works with a mouse as well, just use that if you want. They're just adding things to set the stage for Windows 9 and windowed metro apps.   I also expect to see a notification center of some sort for metro that will replace most of the actions the desktop systray does right now.

#27 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:52

so why are full screen apps a dumb idea?

Having full screen apps without the ability to make them not full screen is a dumb idea (not being able to window).. which is what I said.

#28 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 19:54

he explains the changes well, and i'm kinda liking his attitude to this metro fiasco : he's saying, hey good news for admitting these designs flaws and making an effort to fix things for the desktop folk, which is MS bread and butter consumer wise for windows. Now the only thing I want fixed is : fix black theme with black text in titlebar and dynamically make start button shift with taskbar, there is always a start button present in bottom left corner, this is annoying if I move my taskbar to the left, which is my preferance.

#29 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 February 2014 - 20:02

Having full screen apps without the ability to make them not full screen is a dumb idea (not being able to window).. which is what I said.

you have the ability to make them not full screen. its called snapping.

#30 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 03 February 2014 - 20:09

Since I absolutely refuse to give Paul any clicks, I wanna take a guess at what his article infers: He praises whatever changes he details all the while complaining about not enough being done to reverse the changes he so openly praised nearly a year and a half ago?

I don't have to fight the app to get to the titlebar at all, I think that was just zach's VM having a derp moment.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!