• 401 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:10

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:22

I gave up watching. My brain hurt too much from hearing the mind numbing garbage coming from Ken Ham's mouth.

#3 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,888 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:23

Epic Battle ? More like Epic Waste of Time ...

#4 HellboundIRL

HellboundIRL

Neowinian

• 814 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:04

Bill is wasted on this guy and the audience.

#5 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,661 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:17

I always wondered what's wrong with America. Then I realized a third of the people believe in creationism...

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:41

Summary:

Bill Nye: Check out this evidence!

Ken Ham: I've got a book.

Bill Nye: Go out and explore!

Ken Ham: I've got a book...

Bill Nye: What would change my mind? Evidence.

Ken Ham: What would change my mind? Nothing.

#7 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 15:20

Summary:

Bill Nye: Check out this evidence!

Ken Ham: I've got a book.

Bill Nye: Go out and explore!

Ken Ham: I've got a book...

Bill Nye: What would change my mind? Evidence.

Ken Ham: What would change my mind? Nothing.

Thanks.

Nothing to see here, move along.

#8 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian

• 1,477 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 18:26

I always wondered what's wrong with America. Then I realized a third of the people believe in creationism...

So?

#9 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

• 1,068 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 18:51

So?

So? You're kidding, right? I'm going to keep this brief. Not as brief as your post, but brief enough.

Creationists want their version of 'science' taught in school alongside evolution. Evolution has more proof than many, many other scientific theories held to be true on a daily basis. Creationists only have one source--their Bible--as evidence. Their 'creation theory' cannot be put to the rigors of the scientific method. Unlike, you know, the proper scientific theories (big bang, evolution, so on and so on).

Creationists are dragging the country backwards, if they get their way, both scientifically and politically. As Nye mentioned numerous times during the debate, if we (as a country) give in to this minority, scientific discovery will start faltering once the next generations are indoctrinated by zealots. The lines between secular education and religious brainwashing are very clear, but some individuals, namely creationists, refuse to see this.

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 21:18

So?

So? Creationism isn't a valid scientific theory. It is by no means even feasible to test out and independently verify the claims. Also, the Bible has been translated and re-translated countless times, and is by no means a true account of history.

To teach Creationism in a scientific method would be a lie, and a detriment to all the pupils involved. It would be akin to teaching kids that Bigfoot is real, even though there is no conclusive evidence to support that claim.   

#11 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian

• 1,477 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 21:34

So? You're kidding, right? I'm going to keep this brief. Not as brief as your post, but brief enough.

Creationists want their version of 'science' taught in school alongside evolution. Evolution has more proof than many, many other scientific theories held to be true on a daily basis. Creationists only have one source--their Bible--as evidence. Their 'creation theory' cannot be put to the rigors of the scientific method. Unlike, you know, the proper scientific theories (big bang, evolution, so on and so on).

Creationists are dragging the country backwards, if they get their way, both scientifically and politically. As Nye mentioned numerous times during the debate, if we (as a country) give in to this minority, scientific discovery will start faltering once the next generations are indoctrinated by zealots. The lines between secular education and religious brainwashing are very clear, but some individuals, namely creationists, refuse to see this.

I'm not going to waist a whole lot more of my time on this because I really don't care that much.  I don't see anything wrong with teaching both versions.  If kids don't believe it, then it will be more of a history lesson of what we used to believe.  If they do then maybe they are probably a little more religious.  I don't see how that has anything to do with dragging the country down.  I don't think anybody is going to give into the minority.  If they do, scientific discovery will continue just like it always has!!!!

We've got bigger problems then to fight over something as stupid as peoples beliefs.  I'm going to believe what I want to believe.  It doesn't effect you, just like your beliefs or scientific facts don't effect me.

#12 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

• 1,068 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 21:57

We've got bigger problems then to fight over something as stupid as peoples beliefs.  I'm going to believe what I want to believe.  It doesn't effect you, just like your beliefs or scientific facts don't effect me.

Your beliefs do affect me and others when they are legislated by zealots unto others. Such as: teaching intelligent design or creationism in schools. Creationist ideology deserves no time in a secular setting. Not even a mention.

#13 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,661 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 22:26

I'm not going to waist a whole lot more of my time on this because I really don't care that much.  I don't see anything wrong with teaching both versions.  If kids don't believe it, then it will be more of a history lesson of what we used to believe.  If they do then maybe they are probably a little more religious.  I don't see how that has anything to do with dragging the country down.  I don't think anybody is going to give into the minority.  If they do, scientific discovery will continue just like it always has!!!!

It's not right to teach children lies.  When they are young, there isn't really a way for them to know what's right and what's wrong.  If they are taught creationism by their teachers and then by their parents at home, there's no way for kids to know exactly what is truth.

It's hard for me to understand how people can defend the bible when there has NEVER been any proof to anything written in it.  Specially when you tell Christians that their religion is based on the same "story" as countless other religions in the world.

#14 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

• 3,411 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 22:46

I cannot pretend like I am on the same level intellectually with either. Even if I disagree very strongly with one, it does not suddenly make me an expert.

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,484 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 23:19

Who care what people believe...especially if it makes them better people.  Call them stupid for believing in a God...people think those who do not believe in anything is just as stupid.  Call them lies they are teaching their children, and they will come back and think you are wrong for not doing so.

As long as religion is not pushed on me and people accept my wishes to not be preached to, then I dont care.  Believe what you want...I am not going to treat or think of you badly for doing so.