Epic battle royale going on now!

Summary:

Bill Nye: Check out this evidence!

Ken Ham: I've got a book.

Bill Nye: Go out and explore!

Ken Ham: I've got a book...

Bill Nye: What would change my mind? Evidence.

Ken Ham: What would change my mind? Nothing.

Summary:

Bill Nye: Check out this evidence!

Ken Ham: I've got a book.

Bill Nye: Go out and explore!

Ken Ham: I've got a book...

Bill Nye: What would change my mind? Evidence.

Ken Ham: What would change my mind? Nothing.

Thanks.

Nothing to see here, move along.

So?

So? You're kidding, right? I'm going to keep this brief. Not as brief as your post, but brief enough.

Creationists want their version of 'science' taught in school alongside evolution. Evolution has more proof than many, many other scientific theories held to be true on a daily basis. Creationists only have one source--their Bible--as evidence. Their 'creation theory' cannot be put to the rigors of the scientific method. Unlike, you know, the proper scientific theories (big bang, evolution, so on and so on).

Creationists are dragging the country backwards, if they get their way, both scientifically and politically. As Nye mentioned numerous times during the debate, if we (as a country) give in to this minority, scientific discovery will start faltering once the next generations are indoctrinated by zealots. The lines between secular education and religious brainwashing are very clear, but some individuals, namely creationists, refuse to see this.

So?

So? Creationism isn't a valid scientific theory. It is by no means even feasible to test out and independently verify the claims. Also, the Bible has been translated and re-translated countless times, and is by no means a true account of history.

To teach Creationism in a scientific method would be a lie, and a detriment to all the pupils involved. It would be akin to teaching kids that Bigfoot is real, even though there is no conclusive evidence to support that claim.   

• Like 3

So? You're kidding, right? I'm going to keep this brief. Not as brief as your post, but brief enough.

Creationists want their version of 'science' taught in school alongside evolution. Evolution has more proof than many, many other scientific theories held to be true on a daily basis. Creationists only have one source--their Bible--as evidence. Their 'creation theory' cannot be put to the rigors of the scientific method. Unlike, you know, the proper scientific theories (big bang, evolution, so on and so on).

Creationists are dragging the country backwards, if they get their way, both scientifically and politically. As Nye mentioned numerous times during the debate, if we (as a country) give in to this minority, scientific discovery will start faltering once the next generations are indoctrinated by zealots. The lines between secular education and religious brainwashing are very clear, but some individuals, namely creationists, refuse to see this.

I'm not going to waist a whole lot more of my time on this because I really don't care that much.  I don't see anything wrong with teaching both versions.  If kids don't believe it, then it will be more of a history lesson of what we used to believe.  If they do then maybe they are probably a little more religious.  I don't see how that has anything to do with dragging the country down.  I don't think anybody is going to give into the minority.  If they do, scientific discovery will continue just like it always has!!!!

We've got bigger problems then to fight over something as stupid as peoples beliefs.  I'm going to believe what I want to believe.  It doesn't effect you, just like your beliefs or scientific facts don't effect me.

We've got bigger problems then to fight over something as stupid as peoples beliefs.  I'm going to believe what I want to believe.  It doesn't effect you, just like your beliefs or scientific facts don't effect me.

Your beliefs do affect me and others when they are legislated by zealots unto others. Such as: teaching intelligent design or creationism in schools. Creationist ideology deserves no time in a secular setting. Not even a mention.

• Like 2

I'm not going to waist a whole lot more of my time on this because I really don't care that much.  I don't see anything wrong with teaching both versions.  If kids don't believe it, then it will be more of a history lesson of what we used to believe.  If they do then maybe they are probably a little more religious.  I don't see how that has anything to do with dragging the country down.  I don't think anybody is going to give into the minority.  If they do, scientific discovery will continue just like it always has!!!!

It's not right to teach children lies.  When they are young, there isn't really a way for them to know what's right and what's wrong.  If they are taught creationism by their teachers and then by their parents at home, there's no way for kids to know exactly what is truth.

It's hard for me to understand how people can defend the bible when there has NEVER been any proof to anything written in it.  Specially when you tell Christians that their religion is based on the same "story" as countless other religions in the world.

• Like 4

Who care what people believe...especially if it makes them better people.  Call them stupid for believing in a God...people think those who do not believe in anything is just as stupid.  Call them lies they are teaching their children, and they will come back and think you are wrong for not doing so.

As long as religion is not pushed on me and people accept my wishes to not be preached to, then I dont care.  Believe what you want...I am not going to treat or think of you badly for doing so.

As long as religion is not pushed on me and people accept my wishes to not be preached to, then I dont care. Believe what you want...I am not going to treat or think of you badly for doing so.

A lot of people in Texas said the same and then creationism teaching became mandatory in some schools.

It's not what people believe at home that bothers me, it's when they teach the next generation about it.

I was taught religion at school next to science but at home my parents never preached god. And as I grew up I realized what the truth was.

This is the 21st century, any religious teachings in public institutions should not be tolerated.

Religion is 100% wrong, there has never been any proof and no facts whatsoever. Just some book that people have changed over the centuries.

youre not looking at the bigger picture. Religion has only hindered human advancement for centuries. Imagine how much more advanced we could be if we didnt have religion to say "it happens b/c of God!" all the time.

Also, kids believe anything you tell them. This is why religion starts teaching kids basically from birth.

Science belongs in the science class, non science does not belong in the science class, period. 

Who care what people believe...especially if it makes them better people.  Call them stupid for believing in a God...people think those who do not believe in anything is just as stupid.  Call them lies they are teaching their children, and they will come back and think you are wrong for not doing so.

As long as religion is not pushed on me and people accept my wishes to not be preached to, then I dont care.  Believe what you want...I am not going to treat or think of you badly for doing so.

If only religious would not try to legislate from the pew, then there wouldn't be a problem. There exists a problem with religious because many in positions try to dictate to all, regardless of beliefs, their personal religious views. 

If only religious would not try to legislate from the pew, then there wouldn't be a problem. There exists a problem with religious because many in positions try to dictate to all, regardless of beliefs, their personal religious views. 

And many atheists do the same thing.  As long as you are a good person and dont try to  shove whatever you believe down my throat, I will not treat you differently because of your beliefs.

Atheists are just as bad, if not worse, that people who are religious.

And many atheists do the same thing.  As long as you are a good person and dont try to  shove whatever you believe down my throat, I will not treat you differently because of your beliefs.

Based on what exactly? Majority of congress is made up of religious, so by all means explain how atheists are governing others? There are minority of atheists that attempt to do something on their own, the guy that tried to remove "in god we trust" from currency but when I say minority, we're talking a hand full of people that you can count on one hand. Majority of the time you hear about a fight with atheists and the gov is when someone from the religious side tries to implement their religious views onto everyone else and the atheists are the ones fighting against that. Such as when someone tries to get creationism added to a science class curriculum. Something that clearly has no place in the science class room. So trying to argue that atheists are somehow worse for standing up against those trying to govern through religion, you know shove their religious views down everyone elses throats, clearly shows your lack of understanding of what exactly is going on. 

Try to remember atheists are the minority in this country, it's not the other way around.

Based on what exactly?

Based on posts like those already deleted from this thread for being demeaning and downright threatening, something way too many atheists think is OK just because.

No better than the Westboro's IMO.

Based on posts like those already deleted from this thread for being demeaning and downright threatening, something way too many atheists think is OK just because.

No better than the Westboro's IMO.

Im not talking about reg everyday people, having asshats comes with the territory from all walks of life, atheists included. Im talking about those with the power to dictate and push their views that make waves for everyone. Which the religious have the bigger hold on.

I usually adopt the same philosophy, live and let live and all that good stuff. Unfortunately in this instance, this guy, Ken Ham, is advocating that schools teach creationism to impressionable children. I draw a line between private beliefs and indoctrinating students who should be learning real science.

Now, I myself have serious reservations about quite a bit of science, namely, the big bang, dark matter / energy, and the origin of life, however, it's clear that science attempts to answer some of the questions, and at the very least offers proposals, unlike people like Ken Ham, who just reply by saying god created it and offer no meaningful explanation.

As to the debate itself, I thought Bill Nyle did a poor job pointing out the flaws in Ham's logic, of which there were many.

I agree with that. Some Atheists are even more zealous than evangelical christians. There's certainly nothing wrong with healthy debate, but by the same token, belligerent proselytisation on both sides of the argument should be condemned.