Running legacy Windows XP programs in Windows 7?

Hello,

It seems that we have hit a program that requries Windows XP 32 bit and we are upgrading to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

How do you deal with these limitations?

Hello,

Compatibility mode?

Failing that, we use Citrix for older versions of IE that we need to run for some tasks.

Nope.

"THREED20.OCX" missing error.

Im gonna try Windows XP Mode and see how that goes.

"THREED20.OCX" missing error

Sounds like the OCX hasn't been registered/installed properly.  Could always take a poke at it manually via regsvr32, assuming that component on the file system.  (One of the many reasons I'm glad these all but died out.)

Hello,

Sounds like the OCX hasn't been registered/installed properly.  Could always take a poke at it manually via regsvr32, assuming that component on the file system.  (One of the many reasons I'm glad these all but died out.)

Seems to be some odd library included on the VB 6.0 Enterprise cd. Tried installing VB 6.0 but nothing...

Windows XP mode works really well, and integrates in to the Windows 7 desktop nicely from the end users point of view.

It's a good stop gap until you can upgrade the application, we used it for some legacy databases for a while and had no problem with it.

Run-time error 429: ActiveX component can't create object.

Thought XP Mode would solve it but :s

Again it sounds like whatever ActiveX OCX is involved isn't being registered properly, IE if you're just copying whatever program without actually installing it, it's not going to work.  Definitely not Windows 7's fault now as XP mode is just a VM.  Although a good majority of the time ye olde VB6 programs will run under 7 too just fine. You can even install the IDE with a few adjustments.. x64 adds additional problems though if you're using really old 16 bit components, which I think Sheridan's threed20.ocx is one of them.

Edit -- I just re-read your first post.. yea, threed20 is (I'm 99% sure anyway) a 16 bit component, and won't work on 64 bit OS's.  Is your XP VM 32 or 64 bit?  Never used XP Mode myself so unsure how that plays out, all my old stuff ran in 7 x64 just fine sans 16 bit which I never use anyway.

Do what work is doing, retire it for something that works in Win 7, with close to 4k applications in our lists it was a long fight but it was done, last few hundred computers with XP are being updated or replaced, hopefully to be done by April

Hello,

Again it sounds like whatever ActiveX OCX is involved isn't being registered properly, IE if you're just copying whatever program without actually installing it, it's not going to work.  Definitely not Windows 7's fault now as XP mode is just a VM.  Although a good majority of the time ye olde VB6 programs will run under 7 too just fine. You can even install the IDE with a few adjustments.. x64 adds additional problems though if you're using really old 16 bit components, which I think Sheridan's threed20.ocx is one of them.

Edit -- I just re-read your first post.. yea, threed20 is (I'm 99% sure anyway) a 16 bit component, and won't work on 64 bit OS's.  Is your XP VM 32 or 64 bit?  Never used XP Mode myself so unsure how that plays out, all my old stuff ran in 7 x64 just fine sans 16 bit which I never use anyway.

It seems XP mode is 32 bit; systeminfo says that at least.

And I did register that one that was missing but now nothing.......same error.

I wanted to see how people ran their legacy programs as before this thread I already thought about XP Mode. The reason is what you stated: I imagine that file is a 16 bit file so I would have to emulate it using some kind of VM.

Guess I have to keep looking for a solution.

The reason you see Windows XP still in use is largely because of... wait for it... legacy applications. XP Mode doesn't even change that fact. It's the way you deal with it if you have to upgrade. I will say though that if it doesn't work in XP Mode, it more points to how you're installing this program...

Hello,

Was able to get it to work (in XP VM Mode). Problem is that when I try to put something it throws a internal Error 53 which is a programmer generated error. No idea what that means and/or how to get pass it so...

[/thread]