Photo
backing up

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Online Backup Services

Do you use an online backup service?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,169 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 14 February 2014 - 13:52

I'm using Google Drive and my old university shell account as online backup.

#17 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 2,024 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 14 February 2014 - 14:01

Google Drive 50 GB plan - medium resolution photos and videos for viewing and sharing

Amazon Glacier - Archiving original photos, videos and iTunes purchases

#18 BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• 2,963 posts
  • Phone: Iphone

Posted 26 February 2014 - 22:23

Anyone have any input on Amazon Glacier?  Got an app for it on my Synology NAS, curious how well it is.

#19 Michael Scrip

Michael Scrip

Neowinian

• 242 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 22:43

3-2-1 of backup:

3 copies of the data

in 2 different formats

1 off-site

I'm fine with the 3 copies of data and even the 1 off-site.

But what are the other formats?  Blu-Ray?  DVD?  Tape?

I shudder at the thought of burning 60 Blu-Ray discs to backup a single 3TB hard drive. And then cataloging it all.  And having to retrieve that data off of 60 Blu-Ray discs if anything did go wrong.

I'd rather have 3 hard drives with one of them off site.  What are the chances of all 3 failing at the same time?  Isn't having 3 copies good enough by itself?

I guess I'm not seeing the point of using different media... especially if it's a pain in the ass to create and/or access.

#20 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,989 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 February 2014 - 21:28

I'm fine with the 3 copies of data and even the 1 off-site.

But what are the other formats?  Blu-Ray?  DVD?  Tape?

I shudder at the thought of burning 60 Blu-Ray discs to backup a single 3TB hard drive. And then cataloging it all.  And having to retrieve that data off of 60 Blu-Ray discs if anything did go wrong.

I'd rather have 3 hard drives with one of them off site.  What are the chances of all 3 failing at the same time?  Isn't having 3 copies good enough by itself?

I guess I'm not seeing the point of using different media... especially if it's a pain in the ass to create and/or access.

For a complete back-up I would entirely agree with you. However, if you have family photos or documents then you could probably get away with 1 or 2 discs.

#21 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,337 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 28 February 2014 - 21:36

I juggle cloud storage providers currently for my stuff: OneDrive (68.5GB atm) & BitLocker for important stuff, Box for non-important stuff (50GB free with my phone) & Ubuntu One (5GB) for anything Linux/Raspberry Pi related.

I've tried the BT 50GB backup service for Infinity customers and found it to be quite a mess, even for just backing up family photos.

#22 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• 1,357 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 28 February 2014 - 22:22

All the pictures I take with my phone get backed up to OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Plus. Other than that, no other "cloud" backup.

#23 Patrick831

Patrick831

Neowinian

• 193 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 February 2014 - 22:36

I use OneDrive and Tresorit.

#24 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,952 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 28 February 2014 - 22:58

I put stuff on my OneDrive, mostly photos that I don't want to lose. I also keep a local backup.

#25 blank

blank

Neowinian Senior

• 8,488 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 5

Posted 15 July 2014 - 19:01

I know this is a few months old, but i didn't wanna create a new topic.

I've been debating online back up for years, and finally decided on doing it. What really stopped me were the prices, the time it would take for me to back up my 250GB photo collection.

Ever exploring many options for online backup, i decided to settle with CrashPlan.

Reason why I like Crashplan are the low Monthly payments. $5.99 for unlimited space? heck yea! (even cheaper if you subscribe for yearly, 3 year, etc).

Also it lets you select the folders you want to back up. Other similar services such as BlackBlaze (even cheaper per month), back up nearly everything on your hard drive. Great if you want something simple, and want everything backed up.

I'm glad i finally decided on doing this. I'd feel like such a fool if i lost my personal photo collection after i've been debating this for so long. All the memories.

currently i have 3 copies of each picture. I have the original on my local drive, a copy on my external, and then a static copy on data DVDs. But if my house caught on fire, or something crazy happened, i'd probably lose all 3 copies.

Online is best.

Been uploading for a few days now. 40gb out of 250gb done! WOOT. lol Only a year left in uploading.