Xbox One Update: February 2014

I have never had that happen. It only signs them in and should not go to the dashboard unless you tell the xbox to do so.

Not the Xbox dashboard, just the apps home screen.  So say I'm watching a YouTube video.  My son walks in the room, it recognizes him when he sits down, the video stops and YouTube goes to the main screen where you select videos, channels, etc. and my YouTube account is no longer signed into the YouTube app.  It never leaves the app, just navigates away from the video as soon as a new user is detected.  Crackle does the same thing.

Not the Xbox dashboard, just the apps home screen.  So say I'm watching a YouTube video.  My son walks in the room, it recognizes him when he sits down, the video stops and YouTube goes to the main screen where you select videos, channels, etc. and my YouTube account is no longer signed into the YouTube app.  It never leaves the app, just navigates away from the video as soon as a new user is detected.  Crackle does the same thing.

Oh, that sounds really annoying. Maybe someday they will make it so when you are watching media it wont recognize people and do that.

Oh, that sounds really annoying. Maybe someday they will make it so when you are watching media it wont recognize people and do that.

I'm sure it's just something in the SDK since Netflix doesn't do that.  Hopefully with time the coders will get more familiar with coding Xbox apps.

I'm glad Microsoft is listening to it's customers. It's great seeing them go all in on the One. They need to keep doing what they are doing.

I have a strong feeling that by year's end, the Xbox One won't be the same device that it is when it launched.

Do we really think space management is something that would be hard to implement into the system? I would have thought it would have been implemented into the system in the very early days of the design. It's a pretty basic feature to be able to see what you have installed, how much space it occupies and how much space you have left, I would have thought.

Probably was meant to be included off the bat but when they "rushed" to meet PS4 launch window, not to mention ripping out the DRM & sharing capabilities, it probably got de-prioritized. 

I am wondering if there will be any updates to the One Guide and TV integration myself in either of these updates. Until I see there has been some updates I will continue not using that feature, as I felt, and more importantly my wife definitely felt LOL that it was not ready for prime time just yet. Once they announce they have updated it and made some improvements, I may try it out again.

Storage is one of those things that one just has to scratch their head out wondering how it even got left out to begin with, so that is a very welcome update. Battery status is very nice as well. I feel like something needs to be done with the store on the One overall. It just is not very intuitive imho. Perhaps that is because there is also a lack of content at this point in time as well.

Probably was meant to be included off the bat but when they "rushed" to meet PS4 launch window, not to mention ripping out the DRM & sharing capabilities, it probably got de-prioritized. 

It seems this isn't the case. Apparently they had some other space management system in place.

I'm still not sure why removing the DRM aspect would necessitate removing space management.

It seems this isn't the case. Apparently they had some other space management system in place.

I'm still not sure why removing the DRM aspect would necessitate removing space management.

Yeah, I don't think removing the drm system forced them to remove storage management.

I believe that they simply ran out of time and decided that they would go with a self management system where the user would not worry about the space used and the system would dynamically remove data as needed.  I also believe that they probably wanted to add management features after launch and so here we are, getting those features in the latest update.  The feedback from users probably made them make sure that adding this control was a priority on the update list.

I don't really understand why they didn't explain everything that's in the Feb 11 update.

"We can't talk about everything today, but here are some features... We will announce more later"

The update is like, next week. Why not just tell us everything that's going to be new? I don't get it :)

I am wondering if there will be any updates to the One Guide and TV integration myself in either of these updates. Until I see there has been some updates I will continue not using that feature, as I felt, and more importantly my wife definitely felt LOL that it was not ready for prime time just yet. Once they announce they have updated it and made some improvements, I may try it out again.

Storage is one of those things that one just has to scratch their head out wondering how it even got left out to begin with, so that is a very welcome update. Battery status is very nice as well. I feel like something needs to be done with the store on the One overall. It just is not very intuitive imho. Perhaps that is because there is also a lack of content at this point in time as well.

I don't know what else is in the February update but Tom Warren had a tweet saying the March update will have TV related updates like the judder issues and so on, so One Guide updates should be in there as well from the sound of it.

I can't view the site, but does it say I'll be able to connect to stream from Plex on my iMac?

The full blog is in the OP. Nothing on Plex

I don't really understand why they didn't explain everything that's in the Feb 11 update.

"We can't talk about everything today, but here are some features... We will announce more later"

The update is like, next week. Why not just tell us everything that's going to be new? I don't get it :)

There's probably stuff still on the edge of completion that may not make it until the 4th March update, so they'll delay in confirming the full change log until the roll out. That or maybe there is something big/surprising to be announced with a partner before it launches (don't get too hyped though).

The only update I am interested at this point is pass through for hdmi while in standby mode. I am not even sure if this can be done with a firmware update but I would love to be able to watch tv without turning on my Xbox.

The full blog is in the OP. Nothing on Plex

There's probably stuff still on the edge of completion that may not make it until the 4th March update, so they'll delay in confirming the full change log until the roll out. That or maybe there is something big/surprising to be announced with a partner before it launches (don't get too hyped though).

I think the first update is limited to what they already listed and more info part is for the march update. I would guess the first update is already finalized and going through last round of tests.

Just an FYI for tomorrow:

You'll only get tomorrow's Xbox One firmware update if you manually choose to download it. But it will also enable all future console updates, including the Party-Chat-upgrade one in March, to be updated in the background if background updates are enabled, an Xbox rep toldKotaku. A good improvement!

Source: Kotaku

Should've expected they'd change the update mechanic going forward, sounds good to me.

So how do you manually download it? When you powerup the Xbox One, it will ask if you want to download it? Or is it buried int he store somewhere?

It would be pretty hard to bury it in the store given how little is in there at the moment :laugh:

Anyway, if it is available in the store then I presume they would display it prominently as the first tile similar to the way the Windows 8.1 update appeared in the Windows Store.  Should be pretty obvious.

I think it would be something like this: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/system-update-overview#4bee462797c2451fad5d383d687d4ca6

Oh, there was an update to the original Kotaku article:

UPDATE: For clarity's sake, I should have written "accept" instead of "download", as the Microsoft rep told me that users will have to manually "accept" this first one. It may auto-download, it may not. We'll find out very soon. Either way, it's a one-time situation.