xbox one microsoft dashboard update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

#1 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:06

Marc Whitten has just posted details on Xbox Wire of the next Xbox One System Update that is coming next week.

Here are the highlights from the post:

On February 11, the first update will be delivered to customers who sign into their Xbox One. It features many new improvements – including lots of behind-the-scenes updates for developers building apps and games for Xbox One, several new features we believe Xbox fans will love, stability and product updates to improve the customer experience, and continuous improvements to the quality of Kinect voice so commands become more fluid and responsive over time. While we won’t be going into all of the details of the product updates today, we will be sharing more information soon.

Some of the features you can expect to see on February 11 include:

The ability to see and manage your storage space. With this update, you will find it easy to find how much space your content takes up and better manage your content. You can also control your install lineup and more easily manage your download queue. We’ve separated My Games and My Apps into separate lists, so you can easily create separate queues for both. Now you can pick the order in which you want your content to load and we’ve added a boot progress indicator so you can better track updates while they load.

The battery power indicator is back! You can see it right on the home screen, so you can easily track how much battery life is left on your controller.

And, you will be able to use your USB keyboard with your Xbox One.

These are just a few of the many updates we will be shipping on February 11. We’ll share more details on these and other upcoming features in the coming weeks. We have several surprises in store that we think you’ll love.

March 4 system updates – countdown to “Titanfall”

On March 4, in advance of what is expected to be the biggest game launch of the year, we will be delivering another system update to prepare your Xbox One for “Titanfall.” This update will contain many new features and improvements, most significantly to our party and multiplayer systems.

http://majornelson.c...-coming-feb-11/

-----

Xbox One Update: December 2013

Xbox One Owner Impressions

DirectX 12 Coming to Xbox One

#2 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:23

This is looking to be an awesome update, I cannot wait!

hD35Hck.jpg

#3 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:28

Nice, glad to see they are listening to the community and focusing on things we missed.

Now, please make the party system a little more friendly!

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:28

Edited OP to include full blog post as the March 4th update is also mentioned. Providing it isn't TF limited, it's equally if not more important than Feb 11th IMO, considering the horrible state of FL/parties.

#5 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:29

I cant wait for this update. It has annoyed me not having a battery indicator.

#6 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:29

Well this made me quite excited on a very dull afternoon at work. The thing which I'm very interested in is:

including lots of behind-the-scenes updates for developers building apps and games for Xbox One

This screams the 8% Kinect power reservation and X1 driver update which was rumored earlier. With this dropping on the 11th it's perfectly timed for the Titanfall beta which I truly hope runs in whole 1080p native goodness. Especially after the min-specs got released the other day.

Going to be an awesome couple of months.

#7 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:38

Looks like a decent update. Here's hoping that they bring back some kind of guide functionality like on the 360 :D

#8 yardmanflex

yardmanflex

Neowinian

Posted 05 February 2014 - 14:39

Yes!

#9 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 05 February 2014 - 15:31

Sounds great.  Its even better that this isn't someone just posting up possible updates but an actual confirmation of some of the fixes coming soon.  Glad to see MS pushing forward rather quickly. I hope external support is also part of this update, but its not an urgent issue yet. All of the mentioned changes are very welcome.

Its interesting to follow their progress here because if you follow the progress of Windows 8/8.1/Update 1 progress, you will see that they are definitely sharing some common features updates.  Update 1 on the Windows side is brining a storage management section to Metro that allows you to see an in depth breakdown of how much everything takes up storage wise and the option to remove things.  Sounds like the X1 is gaining a similar option.

They mention adding support for usb keyboards, but you can already use one with the X1.  I've done it myself.  Now if this means full system support and possibly even game support, then that's great, but we will see. Then they just need to add mouse support.  Also, I wonder what the Kinect Voice command updates will involve.  That could be a very nice update for those that have had issues with it on a regular basis.

#10 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 February 2014 - 15:47

Out of the two I think the March update is the bigger one and will bring the needed party/MP improvements plus low level hardware boosts that sound like they'll help with titanfall in mind.   We'll see how it goes after this first update in a few days.

#11 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 05 February 2014 - 16:01

The ability to see and manage your storage space.

Still don't understand why that wasn't in the original software.

Good update, though.

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 February 2014 - 16:13

Good update, though.

LOts of these things might have been in there from the beginning had they not had to make the original system changes, the fact these are coming sooner rather then later hints at them running out of time.   If they keep updating often and through the year then by next holiday I bet most if not all of the things that fans want will be back in and working.

#13 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Not all who wander are lost

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 GDR3

Posted 05 February 2014 - 16:16

Good update, though.

Most likely priorities shifted because of the policy reversal.

Sounds great.  Its even better that this isn't someone just posting up possible updates but an actual confirmation of some of the fixes coming soon.  Glad to see MS pushing forward rather quickly. I hope external support is also part of this update, but its not an urgent issue yet. All of the mentioned changes are very welcome.

Its interesting to follow their progress here because if you follow the progress of Windows 8/8.1/Update 1 progress, you will see that they are definitely sharing some common features updates.  Update 1 on the Windows side is brining a storage management section to Metro that allows you to see an in depth breakdown of how much everything takes up storage wise and the option to remove things.  Sounds like the X1 is gaining a similar option.

They mention adding support for usb keyboards, but you can already use one with the X1.  I've done it myself.  Now if this means full system support and possibly even game support, then that's great, but we will see. Then they just need to add mouse support.  Also, I wonder what the Kinect Voice command updates will involve.  That could be a very nice update for those that have had issues with it on a regular basis.

Does the keyboard work like Plug'n Play? Or do you have to plug it in before booting it up?  Because just plugging it in while the Xbox is on does not work for me.

#14 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 16:22

Does the keyboard work like Plug'n Play? Or do you have to plug it in before booting it up?  Because just plugging it in while the Xbox is on does not work for me.

I'm guessing it will actually use Plug'n Play since it does lie on the NT kernel. Funny story, when I plug my e-cig charger into my USB port on the Xbox it turns it off straight away, no hesitation. Quite weird.

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 05 February 2014 - 16:22

Most likely priorities shifted because of the policy reversal.

Your right, you do have to plug the keyboard and reboot the system for it to work.  So maybe the update adds full plug'n play support.