Xbox One Update: February 2014

Marc Whitten has just posted details on Xbox Wire of the next Xbox One System Update that is coming next week.

Here are the highlights from the post:

On February 11, the first update will be delivered to customers who sign into their Xbox One. It features many new improvements ? including lots of behind-the-scenes updates for developers building apps and games for Xbox One, several new features we believe Xbox fans will love, stability and product updates to improve the customer experience, and continuous improvements to the quality of Kinect voice so commands become more fluid and responsive over time. While we won?t be going into all of the details of the product updates today, we will be sharing more information soon.

Some of the features you can expect to see on February 11 include:

The ability to see and manage your storage space. With this update, you will find it easy to find how much space your content takes up and better manage your content. You can also control your install lineup and more easily manage your download queue. We?ve separated My Games and My Apps into separate lists, so you can easily create separate queues for both. Now you can pick the order in which you want your content to load and we?ve added a boot progress indicator so you can better track updates while they load.

The battery power indicator is back! You can see it right on the home screen, so you can easily track how much battery life is left on your controller.

And, you will be able to use your USB keyboard with your Xbox One.

These are just a few of the many updates we will be shipping on February 11. We?ll share more details on these and other upcoming features in the coming weeks. We have several surprises in store that we think you?ll love.

March 4 system updates ? countdown to ?Titanfall?

On March 4, in advance of what is expected to be the biggest game launch of the year, we will be delivering another system update to prepare your Xbox One for ?Titanfall.? This update will contain many new features and improvements, most significantly to our party and multiplayer systems.

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/05/xbox-one-system-update-coming-feb-11/

-----

Xbox One Update: December 2013

Xbox One Owner Impressions

DirectX 12 Coming to Xbox One

• Like 2

Edited OP to include full blog post as the March 4th update is also mentioned. Providing it isn't TF limited, it's equally if not more important than Feb 11th IMO, considering the horrible state of FL/parties.

Well this made me quite excited on a very dull afternoon at work. The thing which I'm very interested in is:

including lots of behind-the-scenes updates for developers building apps and games for Xbox One

This screams the 8% Kinect power reservation and X1 driver update which was rumored earlier. With this dropping on the 11th it's perfectly timed for the Titanfall beta which I truly hope runs in whole 1080p native goodness. Especially after the min-specs got released the other day.

Going to be an awesome couple of months.

Looks like a decent update. Here's hoping that they bring back some kind of guide functionality like on the 360 :D

• Like 1

Sounds great.  Its even better that this isn't someone just posting up possible updates but an actual confirmation of some of the fixes coming soon.  Glad to see MS pushing forward rather quickly. I hope external support is also part of this update, but its not an urgent issue yet. All of the mentioned changes are very welcome.

Its interesting to follow their progress here because if you follow the progress of Windows 8/8.1/Update 1 progress, you will see that they are definitely sharing some common features updates.  Update 1 on the Windows side is brining a storage management section to Metro that allows you to see an in depth breakdown of how much everything takes up storage wise and the option to remove things.  Sounds like the X1 is gaining a similar option.

They mention adding support for usb keyboards, but you can already use one with the X1.  I've done it myself.  Now if this means full system support and possibly even game support, then that's great, but we will see. Then they just need to add mouse support.  Also, I wonder what the Kinect Voice command updates will involve.  That could be a very nice update for those that have had issues with it on a regular basis.

Out of the two I think the March update is the bigger one and will bring the needed party/MP improvements plus low level hardware boosts that sound like they'll help with titanfall in mind.   We'll see how it goes after this first update in a few days.

The ability to see and manage your storage space.

Still don't understand why that wasn't in the original software.

Good update, though.

Good update, though.

LOts of these things might have been in there from the beginning had they not had to make the original system changes, the fact these are coming sooner rather then later hints at them running out of time.   If they keep updating often and through the year then by next holiday I bet most if not all of the things that fans want will be back in and working.

Good update, though.

Most likely priorities shifted because of the policy reversal.

Sounds great.  Its even better that this isn't someone just posting up possible updates but an actual confirmation of some of the fixes coming soon.  Glad to see MS pushing forward rather quickly. I hope external support is also part of this update, but its not an urgent issue yet. All of the mentioned changes are very welcome.

Its interesting to follow their progress here because if you follow the progress of Windows 8/8.1/Update 1 progress, you will see that they are definitely sharing some common features updates.  Update 1 on the Windows side is brining a storage management section to Metro that allows you to see an in depth breakdown of how much everything takes up storage wise and the option to remove things.  Sounds like the X1 is gaining a similar option.

They mention adding support for usb keyboards, but you can already use one with the X1.  I've done it myself.  Now if this means full system support and possibly even game support, then that's great, but we will see. Then they just need to add mouse support.  Also, I wonder what the Kinect Voice command updates will involve.  That could be a very nice update for those that have had issues with it on a regular basis.

Does the keyboard work like Plug'n Play? Or do you have to plug it in before booting it up?  Because just plugging it in while the Xbox is on does not work for me.

Does the keyboard work like Plug'n Play? Or do you have to plug it in before booting it up?  Because just plugging it in while the Xbox is on does not work for me.

I'm guessing it will actually use Plug'n Play since it does lie on the NT kernel. Funny story, when I plug my e-cig charger into my USB port on the Xbox it turns it off straight away, no hesitation. Quite weird.

Your right, you do have to plug the keyboard and reboot the system for it to work.  So maybe the update adds full plug'n play support.

LOts of these things might have been in there from the beginning had they not had to make the original system changes, the fact these are coming sooner rather then later hints at them running out of time.   If they keep updating often and through the year then by next holiday I bet most if not all of the things that fans want will be back in and working.

Do we really think space management is something that would be hard to implement into the system? I would have thought it would have been implemented into the system in the very early days of the design. It's a pretty basic feature to be able to see what you have installed, how much space it occupies and how much space you have left, I would have thought.

LOts of these things might have been in there from the beginning had they not had to make the original system changes, the fact these are coming sooner rather then later hints at them running out of time.

The HDD management wasn't delayed because of the policy changes, it was designed to be automatic from the get go. Evidentally not what people want, especially with buggy launch games where removing save files has sometimes been suggested in support text.

The HDD management wasn't delayed because of the policy changes, it was designed to be automatic from the get go. Evidentally not what people want, especially with buggy launch games where removing save files has sometimes been suggested in support text.

I have my doubts that they actually planned to leave it at that (why not just say its a feature instead of admitting you weren't able to have it how you really wanted it at launch), but there is no way to prove that, so we can only take their statement on it at face value. 

Either way, its a nice addition and I really don't see any negatives.

I have my doubts that they actually planned to leave it at that (why not just say its a feature instead of admitting you weren't able to have it how you really wanted it at launch), but there is no way to prove that, so we can only take their statement on it at face value. 

Either way, its a nice addition and I really don't see any negatives.

Maybe, who knows. I imagine a lot of the UI is already in place on dev kits. There's a lot of partition management in the OS as it is, they'll need to access these features in a timely way, which might explain why it's one of the first additions to consumers UI.

I'm not a fan of "auto updating" services, so the way it is now really ****** me off. Glad it's being changed (Y)

Not bad Microsoft... This is a very good start to things..  I'm looking more forward to the March update...

Other thoughts: Just realized that E3 is 4months away, and I'm sure that Microsft wants to scratch some things off the list by then

Out of the two I think the March update is the bigger one and will bring the needed party/MP improvements plus low level hardware boosts that sound like they'll help with titanfall in mind.   We'll see how it goes after this first update in a few days.

I guess that's when they will move to the Windows 8.1 core, I think XBO is still based on Win8/NT 6.2

I guess that's when they will move to the Windows 8.1 core, I think XBO is still based on Win8/NT 6.2

It is but we'll have to wait and see where the February update takes things, it kinda sounds like there may be more things in it than they're talking about. Either way this is good news and if there's yet another update set for April or May even better.

I guess this is more from an app side but the biggest annoyance I have now is that when I'm using the YouTube or Crackle app to watch a video if someone walks in the room and gets recognized it stops the video and goes back to the apps home screen.  Hopefully the companies writing the apps will get more accustomed to the system.

Also, I'd be nice to see the voice input when Xbox is listening.  Sometimes my wife says "Xbox so and so" but the command is not phrased right and the Xbox acts as if nothing is said at all.  She gets frustrated because she thinks it's not hearing her, not that it heard her but the command is not right.  It's definitely getting less and less as she learns the commands she uses, but...

Great to see they took the criticism to heart and have worked to improve the system. I'm honestly just super keen the Battery Life Indicator! YAY!

I guess this is more from an app side but the biggest annoyance I have now is that when I'm using the YouTube or Crackle app to watch a video if someone walks in the room and gets recognized it stops the video and goes back to the apps home screen.  Hopefully the companies writing the apps will get more accustomed to the system.

Also, I'd be nice to see the voice input when Xbox is listening.  Sometimes my wife says "Xbox so and so" but the command is not phrased right and the Xbox acts as if nothing is said at all.  She gets frustrated because she thinks it's not hearing her, not that it heard her but the command is not right.  It's definitely getting less and less as she learns the commands she uses, but...

I have never had that happen. It only signs them in and should not go to the dashboard unless you tell the xbox to do so.