Skydrive and Dropbox query

Question

Hello,

Just a quick query regarding Skydrive and Dropbox - both applications create a folder on the hard disk once installed. Does Dropbox/Skydrive download a copy of the files stored on your account into this folder (e.g. does it take up hard disk space) or are they simply links to the online content? 

I have some content that is duplicated across Skydrive/Dropbox and was trying to reduce any wasted hard disk space.

Many thanks,

Luke 

6 answers to this question

In Win 8.1 with the built in Sky Drive app the files aren't always stored locally, I havent looked into how configurable this is but it does show available online/offline for some files.

With SkyDrive on Windows 8.1, they shouldn't take up space until you open it, forcing it to download it. You can right click on any file or folder, or even the SkyDrive folder itself, and select "Make available offline", or "Make available online-only" to stop that file/folder from taking up space. It's very customizable.

In Win 8.1 with the built in Sky Drive app the files aren't always stored locally, I havent looked into how configurable this is but it does show available online/offline for some files.

As far as i know both SkyDrive/Dropbox download copies of the files to your hard drive. But on 8.1, as mentioned above, the built-in desktop SkyDrive will do what you want, it's a really great implementation. 

Ass others said, 8.1 built in skydrive will list all content and show it as though its local, It will also be searchable and provide thumbnails for pictures, you can click any file or folder and make them available offline (or as I did select the offline for the root, meaning everything downloaded). Its totally upto you but great feature if you have a lot of cloud data and not much drive space.