Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luke702uk

Luke702uk

Neowinian

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:36

Hello,

Just a quick query regarding Skydrive and Dropbox - both applications create a folder on the hard disk once installed. Does Dropbox/Skydrive download a copy of the files stored on your account into this folder (e.g. does it take up hard disk space) or are they simply links to the online content? 

I have some content that is duplicated across Skydrive/Dropbox and was trying to reduce any wasted hard disk space.

Many thanks,

Luke 

Best Answer rfirth , 06 February 2014 - 10:15

In Win 8.1 with the built in Sky Drive app the files aren't always stored locally, I havent looked into how configurable this is but it does show available online/offline for some files.

With SkyDrive on Windows 8.1, they shouldn't take up space until you open it, forcing it to download it. You can right click on any file or folder, or even the SkyDrive folder itself, and select "Make available offline", or "Make available online-only" to stop that file/folder from taking up space. It's very customizable.

Go to the full post

#2 Mazhar

Mazhar

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53

Yes the files that you download from Dropbox.com will take up your hard disk space, same as SkyDrive.

#3 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:05

In Win 8.1 with the built in Sky Drive app the files aren't always stored locally, I havent looked into how configurable this is but it does show available online/offline for some files.

#4 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:15   Best Answer

With SkyDrive on Windows 8.1, they shouldn't take up space until you open it, forcing it to download it. You can right click on any file or folder, or even the SkyDrive folder itself, and select "Make available offline", or "Make available online-only" to stop that file/folder from taking up space. It's very customizable.

#5 NoClipMode

NoClipMode

Neowinian

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:51

As far as i know both SkyDrive/Dropbox download copies of the files to your hard drive. But on 8.1, as mentioned above, the built-in desktop SkyDrive will do what you want, it's a really great implementation. 

#6 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:02

Ass others said, 8.1 built in skydrive will list all content and show it as though its local, It will also be searchable and provide thumbnails for pictures, you can click any file or folder and make them available offline (or as I did select the offline for the root, meaning everything downloaded). Its totally upto you but great feature if you have a lot of cloud data and not much drive space.

#7 OP Luke702uk

Luke702uk

Neowinian

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:39

Many thanks, I have been able to set this folder to online use only. :D