Photo

Touch Display or regular?

Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Touch Display or regular?

What monitor type do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:20

How many of you guys use a touch monitor with Windows 8? I had to send my 23" Acer in for repair and hooked up my 27" Dell which is 2560 X 1440. When I got the Acer back, the touch was nice but I sure miss the higher resolution. Especially with 4K displays coming, have many of you bothered with a touch display for Win 8?

Best Answer +Odom , 13 February 2014 - 15:14

If there is one thing I can't stand it's greasy fingerprints on my screen. For my desktop I'd never get a touch monitor, even with Windows 8.1.
As for laptops, our TAM has a nice Lenovo with a touch screen. On the other hand, apart from swiping the login screen, she rarely uses it. Go to the full post

#2 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:22

i do have a touch display and i rarely use it (Windows 8.1).

#3 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:23

How many of you guys use a touch monitor with Windows 8? I had to send my 23" Acer in for repair and hooked up my 27" Dell which is 2560 X 1440. When I got the Acer back, the touch was nice but I sure miss the higher resolution. Especially with 4K displays coming, have many of you bothered with a touch display for Win 8?

I don't have a touch monitor. Win 8 works just fine with mouse and keys. A touchscreen might be a nice add-on if I can find a good deal when I finally go for a new monitor, but I can live without it.

#4 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:24

Touch is cool for the first 30 mins, then you always just end up using a mouse and keyboard. It's so much faster.

#5 +Zag L.

Zag L.

Neowinian

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:25

I use both (wasn't an option). On my desktop, I do not have a touch-enabled monitor however, my ultra-book does and when I use it, I use a combination of touch and mouse depending on the scenario - even in the normal desktop. 

#6 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 06 February 2014 - 15:09

Hello,

The Leap Motion, Kinect and a touch screen (with the standard keyboard/mouse combo) would make in my opinion the best modern day input for your PC :)

(Note: Opinion I personally have never tested this)

#7 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 06 February 2014 - 15:10

Touch is an overpriced gimmick.  Great on tablets and phones; not so great on everything else.

#8 +StevoFC

StevoFC

In Search Of...

Posted 06 February 2014 - 15:13

I have this HP touchscreen monitor. It works well. It was cheaper though when I bought it.

I don't use it (touch) all that much to be honest. It's fairly decent quality though.

#9 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 06 February 2014 - 17:17

Touch is cool for the first 30 mins, then you always just end up using a mouse and keyboard. It's so much faster.

Yeah this seems to make the most sense. I mess around in metro for a while with touch and then just end up going back to finger and mouse. I might go back to my Dell U2711 and sell the Acer.

#10 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 06 February 2014 - 17:22

I have a touch screen. The pc is in the living room. Most of the time I use mouse and keyboard BUT when I need to do something quick like check email or a quick website the touch screen comes in handy. It also comes in handy when you only have one hand free because you have a baby in the other one.

IF the PC is in an office a touch screen is not as handy but if the pc is in the living room its perfect.

#11 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:21

I only prefer touch displays for a laptop/tablet/phone. No touch displays for my desktop since I like to sit further away from my monitors. 

Desktop - regular non-touch screen

Touchscreen devices - Surface Pro 2, Nexus 5 & 7

#12 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:35

I decided to go back to the 2560 X 1440 non touch monitor. I forgot I had the Logitech wireless touch pad so I can use that in Modern if I want. I'll just try to sell the touch display on Craig's List.

#13 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:39

touchscreen only good if can hold the whole screen using your other hand.

#14 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 09 February 2014 - 13:44

Don't have any touch monitors... yet.  Plan on getting a couple eventually for the kitchen and family room, obvious uses there.  No desire to have it on my desk, too far to reach comfortably and fingerprints drive me batsh't.

#15 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 February 2014 - 13:53

It's not like my non touch monitor doesn't get dirty enough already, I sure don't need to be putting finger prints all over it!

I have no use for a touch screen, in other words! :)