Woman stops to help at crash scene, has her car stolen

HONOLULU ? A woman who tried to help after a crash on a Honolulu freeway says one of the victims in the accident drove off with her car, all the while leaving an injured passenger behind.

Jennifer Jones was driving on the H-1 freeway Sunday night when she says she saw a sport utility vehicle swerve and crash head-on into a median.

Jones pulled over to help, her keys still in the ignition.

?There was a woman hanging half out of the passenger?s side and she looked pretty bad. There was blood all over her,? Jones said.

While she was trying to help the woman out, Jones says a man drove away in her Mazda Miata.

?He just kind of backed away looking at me, but backed away this way and then all of a sudden my brake lights went on and burned rubber and screeched off,? Jones said. ?It happened so fast and I?m sitting there trying to attend to her and stop her bleeding and it took a minute to register that this man just stole my car.?

Police arrived at the scene and told her that it had been reported stolen. They also said the man who took off with her car was thought to be the driver of the SUV. The other man in the SUV, 22-year-old Christopher Daniels, was arrested at the scene.

The woman was treated at the hospital and then released, KHON-TV reports.

The injured woman had told Jones that she encountered the men while hitchhiking and that they were struggling over a knife when the vehicle crashed. Jones later found out from police that the woman?s story was false.

When she got home, Jones used the ?Find My iPhone? app to track down her car, which was about a mile away from the accident.

Hawaii News Now reports the man who left the injured woman behind and used the SUV to get away is still at large.

source & video