Slipstrem Windows 8.1

If you're able to get it installed with the generic key for the proper version corresponding to the key you bought it should be fine. If it doesn't for some reason you can you should be able to use the slmgr.vbs script from an elevated command prompt:

slmgr.vbs /upk
slmgr.vbs /ipk <your key>
slmgr.vbs /ato
The first removes all keys, the second installs yours, the third activates. If it fails you may have used the wrong install key. There's a way to switch but it's a pain in the rear.

DON'T reboot after you remove the current keys with /upk or it may not boot anymore. You need to do at least the first two steps in one session.

Sounds good. I'll try it out when I get off work tonight and see how it goes.

For me the "work around" iso creation method didn't work.  I recently reinstalled windows 8.1 on a ssd drive.  I just used an 8.1 key that I had to get the install to continue.  I was then able to change back to my 8.0 key before activating without any issues.  I didn't know about this generic key at the time though.  I've been keeping up with this thread to see what your experience is.

You should be able to change your key through the system settings window on the lower right hand corner of the screen.

For me the "work around" iso creation method didn't work.  I recently reinstalled windows 8.1 on a ssd drive.  I just used an 8.1 key that I had to get the install to continue.  I was then able to change back to my 8.0 key before activating without any issues.  I didn't know about this generic key at the time though.  I've been keeping up with this thread to see what your experience is.

You should be able to change your key through the system settings window on the lower right hand corner of the screen.

You can normally. The commands I posted are for if it doesn't work for some reason.