Photo

Thoughts: Windows 8.1 Update 1 looks worse than ever before...

windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,164 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:29

And these screenshots say it all...

win81update1prertm3_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

win81startscreen1_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

Microsoft has truly lost their mojo with this update, mashing things together that truly shouldn't be. This honest to God, looks awful, and really isn't needed. What should have been done here is to adapt desktop apps to the task switcher at the side... Where it doesn't have the potential to interfere with app's functionality. The person at Microsoft who thought to have the taskbar appear over Metro apps was a good idea, should take a second look at this, and the issues it's going to cause.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is going to cause more grief than fix. C'mon MSFT unfrak yourselves. This functionality is completely unwarranted.  :angry:

#2 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,766 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:29

Taskbar over metro apps needs a little work, but the rest Looks great to me. Judging by the video of the one guy testing the update he said the taskbar over metro apps was fantastic. Though I can see where in this particular case there is some overlap, but i'm sure MS will figure out some way to fix it.

The issue about the task switcher on the side is with a mouse and keyboard its annoying.

#3 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,164 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:35

Taskbar over metro apps needs a little work, but the rest Looks great to me. Judging by the video of the one guy testing the update he said the taskbar over metro apps was fantastic. Though I can see where in this particular case there is some overlap, but i'm sure MS will figure out some way to fix it.

The issue about the task switcher on the side is with a mouse and keyboard its annoying.

It's no more "annoying" than the taskbar is when it's hidden. Works and feels just the same.

#4 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 18,971 posts

Microsoft has truly lost their mojo with this update, mashing things together that shouldn't. This honest to God, looks awful, and really isn't needed. What should have been done here is to adapt desktop apps to the task switcher at the side... Where it doesn't have the potential to interfere with app's functionality. The person at Microsoft who thought to have the taskbar appear over Metro apps was a good idea, should take a second look at this, and the issues it's going to cause.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is going to cause more grief than fix. C'mon MSFT unfrak yourselves. This functionality is completely unwarranted.  :angry:

Lots of others think the Start Screen looks awful as well and I am betting a team at MS is working on these changes and if they didnt think they were a good idea, or needed, they wouldnt be doing it.

MS has been doing some back peddling lately and just seems to me a little out of touch with the end user.

#5 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,766 posts

It's no more "annoying" than the taskbar is when it's hidden. Works and feels just the same.

That's another annoying thing I hate, is when people hide their taskbar.

They don't call this a "Leak" for nothing.

#6 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:39

It does look stupid, but the solution is simple: Metro apps should not be fullscreen and should respect metrics of the taskbar. Metro apps appear to have more flexibility regarding screen size, proportions and layout than control-ridden Win32, so I assume it'd be an easy fix.

#7 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,113 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:52

I think when its done, the app will be resized and render above the tasbar,not the taskbar overlaying the app, like a desktop app.

#8 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,164 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:58

Lots of others think the Start Screen looks awful as well and I am betting a team at MS is working on these changes and if they didnt think they were a good idea, or needed, they wouldnt be doing it.

MS has been doing some back peddling lately and just seems to me a little out of touch with the end user.

Backpedaling? Not that I've seen, these changes aren't that. Backpedaling would be to remove functionality, not alter it. Win8.1 U1 would be a solid update, if not for these desktop to metro changes. If I'm going to be fighting this taskbar showing up while trying to work inside a Metro app on my desktop, then I might not update to this release.

#9 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• 1,922 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:00

When the taskbar is set to "Hide automaticaly" it works exactly the same for desktop apps. It always has been like that, Update 1 isn't going to change this for Windows 8.1's metro apps.

I think when its done, the app will be resized and render above the tasbar,not the taskbar overlaying the app, like a desktop app.

#10 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

• 7,013 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:01

To be honest, we have to remember that these are 'leaks' and don't show what the final build will look like, the UI looks to be bugged with the above screenshots.

#11 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• 1,922 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:02

"Back peddling" -> Microsoft is integrating Metro even further in the desktop and adds improvements so mouse users can use Metro even better and you call that back peddling?

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

• 18,971 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:04

Backpedaling would be to remove functionality, not alter it.

Backpedaling wasnt the correct word...but MS has been making a lot of changes recently with their products because of people who are not happy with their decisions.   If MS had these changes from the start, Win8 would of really exploded and gotten much less negative responses.

#13 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,113 posts

When the taskbar is set to "Hide automaticaly" it works exactly the same for desktop apps. It always has been like that, Update 1 isn't going to change this for Windows 8.1's metro apps.

true,but what im guessing is you can have the taskbar always be there,since they are also adding an app bar, giving the illusion the app is running in the desktop.

#14 +techbeck

techbeck

• 18,971 posts

"Back peddling" -> Microsoft is integrating Metro even further in the desktop and adds improvements so mouse users can use Metro even better and you call that back peddling?

I meant it by MS doing one thing, then reversing their decisions because of major consumer backlash. X1..Win8....

Backpedaling wasnt the correct term.

#15 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,037 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:06

now, all they need to do is make it so metro apps don't go beyond the task bar.. kinda like how windows work on 8 desktop.. and earlier.