Photo

Recommend a 17″ laptop, with decent battery-life + performance?

laptop laptop-recommendations recommendations 17 dell ssd battery-life comparison australia dell studio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlecTaylor

AlecTaylor

Neowinian

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:51

Here are the specifications for my current "rig"; which I purchased almost 3.5 years ago:

Name/model/detail: Dell Studio 17 (T510118AU) in red :pirate:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 4Core/8Threads, turbo boost up to 2.93Ghz, 6M cache)

RAM: 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB)

HDDs: 640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, 640GB 5400RPM SATA 2nd Hard Drive

Battery: 9-cell Primary Battery

Unfortunately when I am doing performant operations—such as parallel build with make using the -j flag—the CPU overheats and my system shuts off almost immediately.

May be able to fix this by applying new thermal grease and cleaning out the insides with compressed O₂; however it is probably about time to get a complete new system.

Which 17″ laptop would you recommend? — Preferably with better performance/CPU, battery-life and one or two SSDs.

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

#2 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:47

I would strongly recommend Toshiba. Have been using their laptops exclusively since 2005, never had a problem. Have purchased 7 till now, and currently use 2. The others were sold simply because they were outdated. Battery life is phenomenal; get close to 3 hours on the two 17" models I own currently despite them being over 2 years old. :)

For better performance just get rid of all the pre-loaded crud that is installed on all branded computers by doing a clean installation of Windows using a retail disc. If the version matches, you can also use the key stuck on the bottom of the laptop to activate.

#3 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:19

Honestly I would totally recommend a Macbook Pro 17", I've had my 15' model for three years now and I still get 2.5 - 3 hours charge on a battery. 3 years on and I still boot into windows 7 and can play recent games at average settings as well. They are definitely pricey but honestly after using this laptop, I'll be upgrading to a newer model soon just for the performance, battery life and beautiful screen you get out of one of these machines. Plus if you do any sort of video editting or just want fast external drives, the Thunderbolt port opens up a whole new world.

#4 corrosive23

corrosive23

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:52

Honestly I would totally recommend a Macbook Pro 17", I've had my 15' model for three years now and I still get 2.5 - 3 hours charge on a battery. 3 years on and I still boot into windows 7 and can play recent games at average settings as well. They are definitely pricey but honestly after using this laptop, I'll be upgrading to a newer model soon just for the performance, battery life and beautiful screen you get out of one of these machines. Plus if you do any sort of video editting or just want fast external drives, the Thunderbolt port opens up a whole new world.

There is no longer a 17" MacBook Pro. Its was discontinued and had not been updated before that since mid 2012.

#5 OP AlecTaylor

AlecTaylor

Neowinian

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:57

Thanks for the suggestions thus far; I should note however that I am running Linux (Ubuntu 13.10 x64).

Looking forward to further suggestions; otherwise will investigate Toshiba further =)

#6 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:40

Why not a Linux tailored machine? Like System76's Bonobo Extreme or Kudu?

https://www.system76...ops/model/bonx7

#7 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:28

Is another Dell an option? They do make some good machines and can be customised how you like - except for no Windows if you're going Linux (But almost everything is like that)

#8 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:53

Hello,

Do you have a budget?

There are companies out there that can custom build you powerhouses; You have a i7 which is pretty powerful (even if last gen). Also, can you confirm that it shuts down because of temp?

http://www.originpc.com comes to mind