Memorial badge for deceased members

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 February 2014 - 16:08

Well, I am probably the most "senior" staff member here in terms of age, and I think that creating a badge is a worthwhile and honorable gesture. Bestowing it on a person who has died may be trickier, since they do not post anymore and, unless there is someone close to that person, we might never know. We must also make sure that we respect the family of the deceased member, which is another hard thing to do if we do not know them.

I still appreciate the gesture. It show compassion and empathy from our members.

#17 OP +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 08 February 2014 - 16:30

Hello,
Completely offtopic reply. Ignore if you want to talk about the main topic

"No, everyone's opinion is respectable I think :)"

That is worded completely wrong in my opinion ;)  should be worded like this

"Everyone has a right to their own opinion"

Just because you have an opinion about something, which everyone does has little to do with respect of it.  If your opinion is that the moon is made of cheese, there is no reason to respect that opinion.  You clearly have the right to that opinion -- but in what reality should it be respected?

Lets forget about the moon example for a second.

Lets say my opinion is that I get better wireless range when a AP is at the bottom of the floor. Your "opinion" is that it is better higher than the floor. I have no facts to back this up. Your facts are articles, books, etc. but most important and the one that makes your opinion correct: self experience, which would prove your opinion correct and my opinion false.

Back to the moon: Neither of us have stepped on the moon to claim it is or isnt made of cheese. We can base our claims on numerous articles or conspiracies but we have no self experience that it is or is not made of cheese.

This expands to jesus, aliens, etc. We have our opinions based on articles, books, etc. but we cannot 100% prove that it exists or not.

I do agree that my wording was incorrect:

"Everyone's opinion is respectable as long as it is accepted as a opinion"

I think that would be better

Back on topic...

#18 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 21:41

No still not right - but this is not the place for discussion of my off topic comment.  Be more than happy to discuss this via PM if you want where can be more free with wording and examples.

back to topic...

#19 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 February 2014 - 22:06

I think I should record a video just in case!

Yes, when I die you can give me a badge that says "He's Dead Jim"

#20 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 09 February 2014 - 15:10

As sad as it is, i dont think itd be nice to see gravestones under avatars - Again its not something that anyone could have tabs kept on , and again like this instance it could take up to a year for anyone to find out.

I doubt very much any members of the family would keep up to date with Neowin once they've passed and that person not being alive, they arent going to see it themselves anyway..