Photo

Windows 8 reset or fresh install.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 February 2014 - 14:10

So I have been wondering this for awhile. My PC came with Windows 8. No install media came with it, only a recovery partition. If I want to do a wipe and full clean install (no bloat), how am I to do this?

If I do a reinstall with the partition it will reinstall everything that came with it. Then I have to install every update, then 8.1 and updates that came out until now. Is my only option to buy ANOTHER license for Windows?

I'd like to have a very fresh install with only the basic stuff then backup the image and go from there.

I really do not want to put out $100 for a windows 8.1 dvd from amazon.

I've gone here:

http://windows.micro...roduct-key-only

I've tried downloading the 8 and 8.1 installer but it says my key is not good for retail...

If I use the windows 8.1 reset where it says "remove and everything and reinstall windows"

Will that make it pretty much a fresh install? Or will all the extra stuff that came with my PC still be there?

#2 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:18

the remove everything and reinstall windows option just uses an image somewhere on the system, so if the vendor has included their bloat in this image then it will be restored with a reset.

#3 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:12

the remove everything and reinstall windows option just uses an image somewhere on the system, so if the vendor has included their bloat in this image then it will be restored with a reset.

Thanks,

So is my only really option buying another license for $100?

#4 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:22

I'm in exactly the same situation.

Despite all the googling, I still haven't found a solution to this.

My pc came with 8.0 core, and an iso for this seems to be impossible to find.

#5 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:38

I'm in exactly the same situation.

Despite all the googling, I still haven't found a solution to this.

My pc came with 8.0 core, and an iso for this seems to be impossible to find.

It sucks man, like I said I went to Microsoft and tried the "download with a product key".  and got "not for use with retail".  

I don't know if I find a System Builder DVD if it would work.  I think I may contact Microsoft.  Because it seems crappy, I don't want bloat.  I already paid for a Windows 8 License.   

#6 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:40

Can't you get a DVD if you contact your manufacturer, or did they stop doing that completely?

#7 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:47

Can't you get a DVD if you contact your manufacturer, or did they stop doing that completely?

Sony does not offer DVDs. The support rep said I must use the restore partition.

I have already created restore disks, so I have a way of returning to factory defaults.

It sucks man, like I said I went to Microsoft and tried the "download with a product key".  and got "not for use with retail".  

I don't know if I find a System Builder DVD if it would work.  I think I may contact Microsoft.  Because it seems crappy, I don't want bloat.  I already paid for a Windows 8 License.   

Your key, like mine, is an OEM key.

I think we're screwed if we try this route. Only option I can see is buying a key.

#8 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:51

Sony does not offer DVDs. The support rep said I must use the restore partition.

I have already created restore disks, so I have a way of returning to factory defaults.

Your key, like mine, is an OEM key.

I think we're screwed if we try this route. Only option I can see is buying a key.

I'm currently in a chat with Microsoft Answer Desk.  I am going to see what they say.  Amazon has them for $107 but still i shouldn't have to buy a whole new license.  

EDIT: 

Yes, we need to buy a whole new license.  

#9 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:17

I'm currently in a chat with Microsoft Answer Desk.  I am going to see what they say.  Amazon has them for $107 but still i shouldn't have to buy a whole new license.  

EDIT: 

Yes, we need to buy a whole new license.  

Gawd. I knew it.

Thanks for the heads up.

I guess it's de-crapify time, and a system image.

#10 Devmer11

Devmer11

Microsoft Enthusiast

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 820 Cyan :D

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:21

can't you use a utility to find the OEM key and use it? the Magical Jelly bean keyfinder should work it's freeware

#11 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:33

can't you use a utility to find the OEM key and use it? the Magical Jelly bean keyfinder should work it's freeware

I have my product key found with one of those programs. However every way I try it says "This key cannot be used with retail media". 

I'd somehow would probably have to find a 64 BIT OEM ISO and MAYBE that would work? I'm not sure where to start with that.   

I have my restore partition and restore media I made. 

My other guess would be would be uninstall EVERYTHING and then use 

http://recimg.com/

Do an image then whenever I'd want a "clean" install would be restore that image and be done.  

I may just save up the $100 an buy the license.   

#12 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:36

I have my product key found with one of those programs. However every way I try it says "This key cannot be used with retail media". 

I'd somehow would probably have to find a 64 BIT OEM ISO and MAYBE that would work? I'm not sure where to start with that.   

I have my restore partition and restore media I made. 

My other guess would be would be uninstall EVERYTHING and then use 

http://recimg.com/

Do an image then whenever I'd want a "clean" install would be restore that image and be done.  

I may just save up the $100 an buy the license.   

See if this is of any help:

http://www.eightforu...-8-0-8-1-a.html

Will go through it after work.

#13 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:36

If the system came with Windows 8 on it, the product key will be embedded in the bios. All you have to do is get a Windows 8 iso , install windows and BOOM! It will see the product key in the bios and "Just work".

I just noticed you said you are having problems finding the iso... if you were to happen to find it. Then all should be good.

Are you sure it needs to be a core iso? Are you sure a Regular windows 8 iso won't work?

#14 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:43

If the system came with Windows 8 on it, the product key will be embedded in the bios. All you have to do is get a Windows 8 iso , install windows and BOOM! It will see the product key in the bios and "Just work"

This is the problem: Getting a Windows 8 or 8.1 core (not pro) version iso.

#15 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:50

This is the problem: Getting a Windows 8 or 8.1 core (not pro) version iso.

Hmm... I could have sworn the ISO I have I used on a customers machine and it just activated. They didn't have pro either. But I also know i used it to install Pro. Are you sure all versions are in the same iso?