Photo

Do you like Windows 8 / 8.1's Modern UI?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: The Windows 8 Modern UI Poll

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you like Windows 8's Modern UI

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you use Windows 8.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,001 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:49

This is a poll to see how much people like Windows 8's Modern UI.

When it says Windows 8 it is referring to both 8 and 8.1.

Happy Voting.

#2 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,452 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:54

Polls are always misleading in that they don't capture the full spectrum of an answer and are always primed...

Although I see no value for Windows 8's Modern UI on the desktop I do like it in Mobile. So my answer was purely reflective of my views for a non-mobile (aka Desktop) scenario.

#3 InTheSwiss

InTheSwiss

Neowinian

• 257 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:56

Couldn't vote as there isn't an option for me which would be ... I use Windows 8.1 and I really like it. I always have. I don't mind the start screen but then I also don't use it much. The desktop apps I use most are pinned to the taskbar and I boot to the desktop. I have 5 desktops apps pinned to the start screen. These are programs I don't use much. Maybe once or twice a week at most. The start screen works well to quickly access the few programs I need like that. I used pinned items on the start menu in the same way on Windows 7.

However I don't use live tiles or any modern apps. I have tried them and I don't like them. I don't like the forced full screen approach and split windows are horrible. It is a shame as the Mail modern app seems alright but I don't like to use it as things currently are. Perhaps in whatever update they come out with that allows us to run modern apps in a window on the desktop like desktop apps.

So yeah in short; I like Windows 8. I don't mind the start screen but I don't like modern apps. I use 8.1 over 7 because of the other improvements to the desktop environment.

Edit: The options changed after I posted so I voted I have Windows 8 but don't like the Metro UI.

#4 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,907 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:57

I had a chance to try it on a friend's tablet and for that it works quite well; it's clear that was its intended purpose. On a desktop with a monitor, mouse and keyboard though, no I don't like it at all. Hate isn't even a strong enough word. I don't believe the UI nor the "apps" are suited for a desktop or laptop PC.

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,934 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:57

Public Poll? C'mon...

And the second question is misleading. I don't have Windows 8 installed, but I've used it.

ModernUI isn't the main reason I don't have it (but it is one - for non-touch devices anyway).

#6 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,001 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 00:59

Couldn't vote as there isn't an option for me which would be ... I use Windows 8.1 and I really like it. I always have. I don't mind the start screen but then I also don't use it much. The desktop apps I use most are pinned to the taskbar and I boot to the desktop. I have 5 desktops apps pinned to the start screen. These are programs I don't use much. Maybe once or twice a week at most. The start screen works well to quickly access the few programs I need like that. I used pinned items on the start menu in the same way on Windows 7.

However I don't use live tiles or any modern apps. I have tried them and I don't like them. I don't like the forced full screen approach and split windows are horrible. It is a shame as the Mail modern app seems alright but I don't like to use it as things currently are. Perhaps in whatever update they come out with that allows us to run modern apps in a window on the desktop like desktop apps.

So yeah in short; I like Windows 8. I don't mind the start screen but I don't like modern apps. I use 8.1 over 7 because of the other improvements to the desktop environment.

Edit: The options changed after I posted so I voted I have Windows 8 but don't like the Metro UI.

When it says Windows 8 it is referring to both 8 and 8.1. I really didn't feel like breaking them apart.

#7 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,060 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:00

Eh sort of like it.  Needs more refinement yet, namely some more usability tweakage with the start screen to make it more flexible like it used to be.  Has a lot of potential though.  For the time being I'm using a different menu.  Other than that, 8.x is just as good (if not better) than 7.. a few adjustments and there's virtually zero difference in my day-to-day usage.

#8 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,067 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:01

Being that it is on Neowin I have a feeling this poll is going to be very one sided.

#9 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:11

Being that it is on Neowin I have a feeling this poll is going to be very one sided.

It should only be considered in the context of neowin and not generalized or extrapolated or used as an argument for the general populous

#10 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• 1,804 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:12

The answers in the poll are rather limiting I'll just explain my thoughts: The start screen is fine; I neither love nor hate it. I don't feel compelled to use a third-party start menu either. The Modern UI OTOH, definitely feels lacking to me.

1. I do not like that Modern apps run full-screen. Having the ability to snap the Modern apps does help but it is not perfect. For one, its an action that has to done manually. I would prefer if opening multiple apps would tile them automatically. Secondly not all apps work nice with a 50/50 split although this is probably more fault of the apps' developer(s). Barring that, running the apps as windows on the desktop would be fine too.

2. Unless I can switch entirely to the new Modern UI, I'd rather stick with the desktop. I do not like switching between Modern and desktop. Currently the availability of apps favors the desktop but hopefully this will improve with time.

#11 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,946 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:18

I don't think many people "dislike" it. They dislike the implementation ... of it.

#12 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

• 1,133 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:29

Hate this metro crap on PC. Never used it on tablet either as I have Andriod and it is more than what I need. I am experimenting with Hackintosh and it seems to be working perfectly so far. My only gripe with mac is that there are no many programs which are made for mac. 

#13 Kyang

Kyang

• 1,181 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:58

The answers in the poll are rather limiting I'll just explain my thoughts: The start screen is fine; I neither love nor hate it. I don't feel compelled to use a third-party start menu either. The Modern UI OTOH, definitely feels lacking to me.

1. I do not like that Modern apps run full-screen. Having the ability to snap the Modern apps does help but it is not perfect. For one, its an action that has to done manually. I would prefer if opening multiple apps would tile them automatically. Secondly not all apps work nice with a 50/50 split although this is probably more fault of the apps' developer(s). Barring that, running the apps as windows on the desktop would be fine too.

2. Unless I can switch entirely to the new Modern UI, I'd rather stick with the desktop. I do not like switching between Modern and desktop. Currently the availability of apps favors the desktop but hopefully this will improve with time.

Certain operations automatically tile the apps, like opening pictures from an email, but it's not something that always happens, only something that happens when the team felt it made sense I guess.

#14 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,520 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:12

Those numbers are surprising - even to me 

O.O

Here I was thinking Dot Matrix was on his own liking the Metro interface, boy was I wrong lol

#15 Atlantico

Atlantico

Neowinian

• 233 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:17

I use Windows 8, I like the Modern UI, in fact I switched from the Mac to Windows because of Windows 8. It is that good, the UI is that good. It is the best OS Microsoft has ever made, from a UI standpoint to technological underpinnings. 

It blends the desktop UI and Modern UI very well. It is supremely compatible, I run ancient games on Windows 8.1 without problems. I can be improved upon, nothing is perfect, but it is the best available.