Also as above an FYI - my keyboard is a Logitech G15

I always say giving the user more confiurability (eg volume control) is better than restricting but I also think adding too many options will distract from the simplicity that you want so for now, I would leave it out. I am perfectly Happy to not have a stop button, Pause is good enough, again I just wanted to mention it.

I'm more than happy to start using this over winamp for the moment thanks to the media keys actually working. I'll maybe come back to this thread after a week or so of using it and let you know if there are any things I have found after general use.

Great, that's a good idea. I'm looking forward to you findings.

No problem :) Also I noticed that if you make it fullscreen the gap appears, however if you leave it fullscreen, close musiX and then reopen it the gap isn't there, hope that helps a bit :)

Oh strange. It might be caused by the component I'm using to remove the window borders. I'll see what I can do.

Very nice indeed! Looking forward to seeing the progress in this, good job! Any chance you could put a link in the first post to the most recent version along with the changelog?

I would update the first post if I could. But editing is blocked after 45 minutes.

Thanks all for the feedback concerning the media keys. Key codes for media keys seems to be a standard, that's good to know.

• Like 1

Random request.

is it possible for you to update the original post each time you make an update with the latest link and version number.... as well as maybe a changelog :D

Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

Random request.

is it possible for you to update the original post each time you make an update with the latest link and version number.... as well as maybe a changelog :D

Keep up the great work.

I'd love to. But there is no edit button... (or am I missing something?)

I'd love to. But there is no edit button... (or am I missing something?)

I've seen some people keep their OP up to date, I'm not sure if you can be granted special edit permissions in the case of a thread like this. I'd actually be interested to see if that's what happens or not, always wondered how people do it!

Unfortunately the only way to get that done is by asking a mod to do it. The time to edit is done per group (User, Sub, Veteran, mod etc) so there is no way to limit it to a specific section, i did ask :). I'm also not a mod in this section so I don't have permission to do so.

As for the software, very positive week with it I would say. I haven't found anything that I would class as a bug in the software (other than the gap at the bottom when maxed but that has already been mentioned). It just performs nicely in the background as I would like it to. the media keys have certainly made this a definate tool to stick with.

I do have some imrpovements that I would ask you to consider but these are in no way must have's and are potentially just personal things.

• Remember where I was in the playlist so I can resume the next time I fire it up
  • Shuffle button to remember whether it was on or not - currently it always reverts to off (this may be a bug but assumed it was by design)
  • Swap now playing and what is currently playing - I would rather have a album art larger and centre screen than smaller to the side and usually want to know what I am listening too rather than what is at the beginning of the playlist. 
  • Resize the panels - dragging the playlist to make it wider or smaller, same with centre "songs list" and also the right hand "now playing" bar.
  • Allow a minimise to the tray option - My OCD loves an empty taskbar so being able to minimise to tray would be amazing :)

That's all I can think of, keep up the great work. 

Unfortunately the only way to get that done is by asking a mod to do it. The time to edit is done per group (User, Sub, Veteran, mod etc) so there is no way to limit it to a specific section, i did ask :). I'm also not a mod in this section so I don't have permission to do so.

As for the software, very positive week with it I would say. I haven't found anything that I would class as a bug in the software (other than the gap at the bottom when maxed but that has already been mentioned). It just performs nicely in the background as I would like it to. the media keys have certainly made this a definate tool to stick with.

I do have some imrpovements that I would ask you to consider but these are in no way must have's and are potentially just personal things.

• Remember where I was in the playlist so I can resume the next time I fire it up
  • Shuffle button to remember whether it was on or not - currently it always reverts to off (this may be a bug but assumed it was by design)
  • Swap now playing and what is currently playing - I would rather have a album art larger and centre screen than smaller to the side and usually want to know what I am listening too rather than what is at the beginning of the playlist. 
  • Resize the panels - dragging the playlist to make it wider or smaller, same with centre "songs list" and also the right hand "now playing" bar.
  • Allow a minimise to the tray option - My OCD loves an empty taskbar so being able to minimise to tray would be amazing :)

That's all I can think of, keep up the great work. 

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

• Remember where I was in the playlist so I can resume the next time I fire it up -> will be in the next build
  • Shuffle button to remember whether it was on or not - currently it always reverts to off (this may be a bug but assumed it was by design) -> was not implemented yet :) I will add it in the next build (loop button will also be remembered)
  • Swap now playing and what is currently playing - I would rather have a album art larger and centre screen than smaller to the side and usually want to know what I am listening too rather than what is at the beginning of the playlist. -> added to tasklist. Not sure yet about the design
  • Resize the panels - dragging the playlist to make it wider or smaller, same with centre "songs list" and also the right hand "now playing" bar. -> added to tasklist (no yet for the next build)
  • Allow a minimise to the tray option - My OCD loves an empty taskbar so being able to minimise to tray would be amazing :) -> will be in the next build

I'm planning to release a build in a day or 2 (I only post links to builds which I have tested and are stable for daily usage).

Changes for the next build which are already implemented:

• The installer doesn't require an uninstall to install a more recent build (if you installed build 56, you'll have to uninstall it, as version numbering was corrected to allow installs over a previous build). But as soon as you install the next build, an uninstall will not be required anymore.
  • Taskbar integration: when you hover the musiX icon on the taskbar, 3 buttons are shown in the preview (prev, play/pause,next), the song progress is shown on the icon on the taskbar.
  • Minor bugfixes (only noticable to the trained eye :))
  • Like 1

Changes for the next build which are already implemented:

• The installer doesn't require an uninstall to install a more recent build (if you installed build 56, you'll have to uninstall it, as version numbering was corrected to allow installs over a previous build). But as soon as you install the next build, an uninstall will not be required anymore.
  • Taskbar integration: when you hover the musiX icon on the taskbar, 3 buttons are shown in the preview (prev, play/pause,next), the song progress is shown on the icon on the taskbar.

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it!

Wow - I wasn't expecting any of that to be implemented any time soon. I assume some of these are things you had already considered. 

Looking forward to the next build and thankyou for the updates :)

Hello everyone,

Build 73 is ready and available here.

What made it into this build?

• From now on the installer doesn't require an uninstall of the previous build (it updates your installation). IMPORTANT for those running a build older than 73: uninstall the older build first, then install build 73. From then on you won't have to uninstall anymore to use newer builds.
  • Minimize to tray (optional)
  • Remember status of loop and shuffle buttons after restart (the position in the playlist is not remembered yet)

Hello everyone,

Build 73 is ready and available here.

What made it into this build?

• From now on the installer doesn't require an uninstall of the previous build (it updates your installation). IMPORTANT for those running a build older than 73: uninstall the older build first, then install build 73. From then on you won't have to uninstall anymore to use newer builds.
  • Minimize to tray (optional)
  • Remember status of loop and shuffle buttons after restart (the position in the playlist is not remembered yet)

Downloaded this last night, great update! Out of curiosity, do you have a website or are you just sharing it on here for the time being? I was at my friend's house for a LAN party and afterwards had 8 other people using musiX! So I was wondering if I should point them to this thread for updates or if there was somewhere else they can get it?

Just noticed build 74 pop up there! 

Downloaded this last night, great update! Out of curiosity, do you have a website or are you just sharing it on here for the time being? I was at my friend's house for a LAN party and afterwards had 8 other people using musiX! So I was wondering if I should point them to this thread for updates or if there was somewhere else they can get it?

Just noticed build 74 pop up there! 

I have no website for the time being. This is a little personal project, coded in my spare time, which got out of hand :) But I've been thinking about registering for a domain though. For the time being, I'll stay here. If I ever decide to get a website, I'll post the info here.

Indeed, build 74 is up. It's nothing spectacular though compared to 73. I tried to fix an issue from build 73 where hovering the taskbar icon shows "RaphaelGodart" instead of "musiX". It seems windows is playing tricks on me, because sometimes it's displayed correctly, sometimes it is not...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've been quiet for a while. Just wanted to let you know musiX development is still going strong. For the next build these changes have been implemented already:

Bug fixes

- Fixed the gap of 2 pixels when the main window is maximized
- Fixed flickering of windows when opening dialogs
- Fixed the wrong application name when pinning musiX to the taskbar
- Fixed rating and tagging of the currently playing song (was broken in the previous build)
- Fixed a playlist bug where switching playlist forgot which song is playing
- The installer now doesn't allow installing an older build over a newer one anymore

New features

- Improved the tray icon and added a tray menu
- Improved searching in the playlist
- Improved the spectrum analyzer and added an option to show spectrum peaks
- Improved ogg vorbis playback
- Added a splash screen (in case loading big collections would slow down starting up)
- Misc. UI tweaks and improvements

I'm still bugtesting and looking into an annoying flac seeking bug before releasing the next build.

Aww sweet! I'm still using build 73 daily and loving it! I get asked about it all the time, people really love the design and want to know what it is, you did an awesome job with it :)

Aww sweet! I'm still using build 73 daily and loving it! I get asked about it all the time, people really love the design and want to know what it is, you did an awesome job with it :)

Thanks!

I'll be posting a new build in a day or two. I've ironed out all known issues concerning the new functionality. Fixing the FLAC seeking issue will be for a future build for 2 reasons:

1. I pinpointed the piece of code causing the issue, but I need help from the developer of the FLAC library I'm using. I've forwarded the issue (and all the debug info I could generate) to the developer. He has a very busy schedule but is looking into it. I really appreciate the positive and helpful responses I got from all the developers I've had contact with since starting musiX.

2. I'm leaving on vacation for a week starting from friday and don't want to make you wait for a new build until after I get back :)

What is the latest build available, If I check the link I see build 73 (which is what I have) but I see a mention of 74?

A couple of features I wouldn't mind seeing if possible/you get time...

• When in the Music section, starting to type will automatically switch focus and start typing in the search box
  • Support for external playlist - Not sure how you do this atm but I can't seem to find any config files etc that are dedicated to just playlists.

Have a nice holiday :)

What is the latest build available, If I check the link I see build 73 (which is what I have) but I see a mention of 74?

A couple of features I wouldn't mind seeing if possible/you get time...

• When in the Music section, starting to type will automatically switch focus and start typing in the search box
  • Support for external playlist - Not sure how you do this atm but I can't seem to find any config files etc that are dedicated to just playlists.

Have a nice holiday :)

The latest build available is 73. In 74 I tried (and failed) to fix an issue, it wasn't meant to be a public build.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll release build 104.

As for the requests: direct typing in search box will be added in the build following 104. Import/export of playlists has been on the todo since the beginning, but I never started implementing. I'll try to add it also for the build following 104.

Thanks!

The latest build available is 73. In 74 I tried (and failed) to fix an issue, it wasn't meant to be a public build.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll release build 104.

As for the requests: direct typing in search box will be added in the build following 104. Import/export of playlists has been on the todo since the beginning, but I never started implementing. I'll try to add it also for the build following 104.

Thanks!

Wow brilliant, I always think I'm being really fussy when I put things in but I think 99% of the time you have already done or are working on them!

Thanks man, got a brilliant piece of software here.

Wow brilliant, I always think I'm being really fussy when I put things in but I think 99% of the time you have already done or are working on them!

Thanks man, got a brilliant piece of software here.

No problem. I like most of the suggestions I've seen here :)

By the way, concerning the search: it is not documented anywhere yet, but ctrl+F brings focus to the searchbox. It might come in handy until "live" (let's give it some Microsoft name :)) searching is implemented.

Hello everyone,

Build 104 has been released. You can get it at the usual location

This is the changelog since build 73:

Bug fixes

- Fixed the gap of 2 pixels when the main window is maximized
- Fixed flickering of windows when opening dialogs
- Fixed the wrong application name when pinning musiX to the taskbar
- Fixed rating and tagging of the currently playing song (was broken in the previous build)
- Fixed a playlist bug where switching playlist forgot which song is playing
- The installer now doesn't allow installing an older build over a newer one anymore

New features

- Improved the tray icon and added a tray menu
- Improved searching in the playlist
- Improved the spectrum analyzer and added an option to show spectrum peaks
- Improved ogg vorbis playback
- Added a splash screen (in case loading big collections would slow down starting up)
- Misc. UI tweaks and improvements

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've decided to create a small blog to show progress on my work and provide a place to download the latest builds. My blog is located at: http://raphaelgodart.tumblr.com

In the "Downloads" page, you'll find links to download the latest build of my applications (including musiX).

musiX is at build 129 now. What is different from the latest build (104):

New features:

- Live searching (typing in main window activates searchbox)

- File information under the album cover (file type, bit rate, sample rate)

Fixes:

- Increased responsiveness when selecting and playing a song
- Increased stability
- Faster scrolling through the playlist

- Misc. Bug fixes

Import/export of playlists and a "Now Playing" screen is next on the planning. I've been too busy with bug fixing to implement those until now.

YES! Dude, you rock! Very welcome update and I can't wait to see future versions with a "Now Playing" feature :D! As always, keep up the good work!