This is how it happened: 

Build A was 104 from OneDrive, installed that. Started to import my music collection. Crashed during import, and then crashed during each successive start up of Musix. 

Went back to thread (to see if anyone else had same issue), saw I was using an old build. Uninstalled Build A (104), then installed Build B (169 - downloaded from blog). Same crashing issue.

I've also tried your suggestion of uninstalling the program, deleting the Musix directory in Appdata/Local, and reinstalling the program. This gets Musix to start properly, but when I add my music library to the collection, it crashes during the "Updating your Collection" phase. I haven't gotten the program to work yet - there must be a problem somewhere in my music library. 

I hope this makes sense - I really want to do a screen cast to show you what I'm going through. 

As I type this, I'm trying to get Build 169 installed on my Surface Pro 2 also running W8.1 U1 (w/ latest updates). I have a music collection of about 9000 songs (yes, over 9000!) which takes up ~43 GB. The only problem with the SP2 is I don't have any music on the device itself, so I have to use my NAS (my music library is kept in sync from my desktop to NAS daily). 

I really appreciate all the help! I like developers who interact with people to troubleshoot issues :)

Edit: It really is my music collection, even the SP2 crashes now on Musix startup. 

Ok thanks, that is very useful info. The problem is not related to installing an older build but rather to musiX having a problem handling media files.

There seems to be some issue with reading subfolders.  I pointed it to my music folder, but out of the thousands of albums I have it was only able to detect one single folder and a couple of stray ringtones.

Thanks for reporting. I finished adding log functionality. Now I'm concentrating my efforts on adding as much useful logging about adding folders and files to the collection. That should tell us more about the issues on your and tsupersonic's system. I'll let you know as soon as the new build is ready.

This is how it happened: 

Build A was 104 from OneDrive, installed that. Started to import my music collection. Crashed during import, and then crashed during each successive start up of Musix. 

Went back to thread (to see if anyone else had same issue), saw I was using an old build. Uninstalled Build A (104), then installed Build B (169 - downloaded from blog). Same crashing issue.

I've also tried your suggestion of uninstalling the program, deleting the Musix directory in Appdata/Local, and reinstalling the program. This gets Musix to start properly, but when I add my music library to the collection, it crashes during the "Updating your Collection" phase. I haven't gotten the program to work yet - there must be a problem somewhere in my music library. 

I hope this makes sense - I really want to do a screen cast to show you what I'm going through. 

As I type this, I'm trying to get Build 169 installed on my Surface Pro 2 also running W8.1 U1 (w/ latest updates). I have a music collection of about 9000 songs (yes, over 9000!) which takes up ~43 GB. The only problem with the SP2 is I don't have any music on the device itself, so I have to use my NAS (my music library is kept in sync from my desktop to NAS daily). 

I really appreciate all the help! I like developers who interact with people to troubleshoot issues :)

Edit: It really is my music collection, even the SP2 crashes now on Musix startup. 

Based on your edit, why don't you try clearing everything down (uninstall, xml etc)

Re-install and then when you add your collection, add a folder that only contains a single MP3. If that works maybe try bulk copying in more? Also, do you have different file types, I wonder if there is a specific file type that could be causing it?

Sorry to thread hack, but what does your NAS look like (brand HD, etc, ) do you back up? how?

There seems to be some issue with reading subfolders.  I pointed it to my music folder, but out of the thousands of albums I have it was only able to detect one single folder and a couple of stray ringtones.

What file types do you have in your collection? MusiX supports only mp3, wma, flac and ogg at the moment and ignores everything else.

Based on your edit, why don't you try clearing everything down (uninstall, xml etc)

Re-install and then when you add your collection, add a folder that only contains a single MP3. If that works maybe try bulk copying in more? Also, do you have different file types, I wonder if there is a specific file type that could be causing it?

That was the point of trying it on the Surface Pro 2 - a clean start. If I try a single folder, it works. I do have different file types - MP3 is majority of my collection, but I also have FLAC and OGG. I have to see what else I have. 

Sorry to thread hack, but what does your NAS look like (brand HD, etc, ) do you back up? how?

Synology DS 213: 1x WD Red 1 TB, 1x WD Red 3 TB. I backup using Synback Pro. I have my media on my 1 TB internal harddrive in my desktop, and it does a daily sync of the files on my internal desktop HDD to the NAS. It copies any new files and updates to the NAS. 

What file types do you have in your collection? MusiX supports only mp3, wma, flac and ogg at the moment and ignores everything else.

Most people these days have some aac files here and there.

Looks like a nice app i might give it a try one day when i have some spare time.

Most people these days have some aac files here and there.

Looks like a nice app i might give it a try one day when i have some spare time.

It's not that I don't want to support it. It's just that I didn't look for a .NET component which supports AAC yet. Probably in the future.

Alright, build 183 is available for download on my blog

This build brings you:

- Fixed bug where media keys trigger live search
- Fixed bug where play/pause button is inactivated when searchbox is returning no result
- Fixed bug when pressing media key play when no song is selected
- Lowered spectrum analyzer CPU usage
- Added recovery screen when musiX starts with a corrupt musiX.xml file
- Fixed a lot of startup bugs

- Added logging in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\musiX\musiX.log

Logging is now focussed around adding and removing files to the collection (I wanted to get this ready ASAP for tsupersonic and Darrian). It will much improve with time. Each 5 MB the logfile is rotated. Maximum 5 logs are kept. They get named like this: musiX.log, musiX (0).log, musiX (1).log, ...

Thanks! 

I installed the new build (didn't uninstall the old build). I had just one artist in my collection from my previous build, so I proceeded to add my entire collection. It said Updating your collection at the bottom, then it disappeared. I didn't see any other music (besides that one artist). So, I quit the program and reopen it, and it presented with me this: 

post-182178-0-87410500-1399673043.png

I looked in the log file, and towards the bottom of the file, I see this:

2014-05-09 18:00:17.5261|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.UpdateLibrary|Exception: '', hexadecimal value 0x01, is an invalid character.
2014-05-09 18:00:17.5261|Info|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.UpdateLibrary|### FINISHED UPDATING COLLECTION ###
2014-05-09 18:00:27.5494|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:00:37.5676|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:00:47.5899|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:00:57.6170|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:01:07.6269|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:01:11.2933|Info|musiX.MainWindow|musiX.MainWindow.MetroWindow_Closing|### STOPPING musiX, 1.0 (Build 183) ###
2014-05-09 18:01:14.4336|Info|musiX.Application|musiX.Application.OnStartup|### STARTING musiX, 1.0 (Build 183) ###
2014-05-09 18:01:14.5367|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.GetLibraryDirectories|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.

Oh,well,that's why.  They're all aac/m4a. oops.

Thanks! 

I installed the new build (didn't uninstall the old build). I had just one artist in my collection from my previous build, so I proceeded to add my entire collection. It said Updating your collection at the bottom, then it disappeared. I didn't see any other music (besides that one artist). So, I quit the program and reopen it, and it presented with me this: 

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I looked in the log file, and towards the bottom of the file, I see this:

2014-05-09 18:00:17.5261|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.UpdateLibrary|Exception: '', hexadecimal value 0x01, is an invalid character.
2014-05-09 18:00:17.5261|Info|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.UpdateLibrary|### FINISHED UPDATING COLLECTION ###
2014-05-09 18:00:27.5494|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:00:37.5676|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:00:47.5899|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:00:57.6170|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:01:07.6269|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.IsUpdateNeeded|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.
2014-05-09 18:01:11.2933|Info|musiX.MainWindow|musiX.MainWindow.MetroWindow_Closing|### STOPPING musiX, 1.0 (Build 183) ###
2014-05-09 18:01:14.4336|Info|musiX.Application|musiX.Application.OnStartup|### STARTING musiX, 1.0 (Build 183) ###
2014-05-09 18:01:14.5367|Error|musiX.LibraryHelper|musiX.LibraryHelper.GetLibraryDirectories|Exception: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 1027, position 227.

There seems to be a file or rather a tag with a character which is not supported by the xml. I'm thinking more a tag which has an unprintable character 0x01. The exception at 2014-05-09 18:00:17.5261 is where it all goes wrong. Because of an invalid character the xml file cannot be saved.

I'll put in xml validation for tags before writing to the xml. Stay tuned.

PM sent - please don't judge me on music taste  :rofl:

Thanks for the PM. It confirms what I thought, a tag with a "funny" format is crashing musiX (see PM for more info)!

Don't worry about your music taste. I won't judge anyone on this :)

I'll try to get a new build with a fix for this ready ASAP.

Build 185 is available: it adds tag validation. If a file with funny tags is encountered, it continues processing but logs this in the logfile:

Invalid characters in the 'Title' tag of file <filename>

Oh,well,that's why.  They're all aac/m4a. oops.

I don't have experience with AAC yet but I've been looking around and added experimental AAC support just now. I still want to test this out before releasing a new build though.

Thanks for the PM. It confirms what I thought, a tag with a "funny" format is crashing musiX (see PM for more info)!

Don't worry about your music taste. I won't judge anyone on this :)

I'll try to get a new build with a fix for this ready ASAP.

I sent you a PM, but to update the rest of the folks - it was one particular song that needed to be fixed. MusiX works now, and what a great program. More often than not all these music programs these days don't support my keyboard media keys (Sidewinder X6), out of the box without any tinkering. I'm happy to say that MusicX does this properly.

Thanks for a great program. I have a couple of suggestions:

1) I like to minimize music players to the tray. It would be nice if I could get notifications on the next song that was playing, either through a popup notification by the tray or somewhere on the screen. What would be even nicer is if you could somehow hook the media information in Windows 8's volume change box - like this: 

8625.041413_5F00_1407_5F00_Media1.png

Not my screenshot - taken from this site

2) The on screen visualizer is really slow for my taste. Any way to speed it up or make it more responsive to the music? Or an option to turn it off completely? 

I sent you a PM, but to update the rest of the folks - it was one particular song that needed to be fixed. MusiX works now, and what a great program. More often than not all these music programs these days don't support my keyboard media keys (Sidewinder X6), out of the box without any tinkering. I'm happy to say that MusicX does this properly.

Thanks for a great program. I have a couple of suggestions:

1) I like to minimize music players to the tray. It would be nice if I could get notifications on the next song that was playing, either through a popup notification by the tray or somewhere on the screen. What would be even nicer is if you could somehow hook the media information in Windows 8's volume change box - like this: 

8625.041413_5F00_1407_5F00_Media1.png

Not my screenshot - taken from this site

2) The on screen visualizer is really slow for my taste. Any way to speed it up or make it more responsive to the music? Or an option to turn it off completely? 

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy musix and hope to be able to make it even better.

Nice suggestion about the notifications. I'll see what I can do.

I have no idea yet if I can make the spectrum more responsive. I'll have to look deeper into the code of component I'm using. There is however already an option to hide it (check the settings -> appearance screen)

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy musix and hope to be able to make it even better.

Nice suggestion about the notifications. I'll see what I can do.

I have no idea yet if I can make the spectrum more responsive. I'll have to look deeper into the code of component I'm using. There is however already an option to hide it (check the settings -> appearance screen)

Cool, thanks! D'oh must have missed that setting. Looking forward to future builds :) 

I don't have experience with AAC yet but I've been looking around and added experimental AAC support just now. I still want to test this out before releasing a new build though.

Cool. In the meantime, it's working just fine with my flacs, but I don't have many. 

Great little program that you've created here. No complaints at the moment, apart from the fact that I wished there were a few more file formats that it supported, but that's just a minor quibble.

(Also - you totally should make more apps. A metro style Explorer replacement or a metro clone of OSX's Preview perhaps? They would be at the top of my wish list :D :shifty: )

Been using music x since the early builds and the pace of which its growing is brilliant!! are you planning in the future or soon-ish about adding something that will let you know when a new build is available?

I hope you don't mind but I put a link at the bottom of the original post to your blog to check for the latest versions etc, if you want it changed in someway let me know. Downloading the latest version now :)

Check my blog for the latest version and change information

I hope you don't mind but I put a link at the bottom of the original post to your blog to check for the latest versions etc, if you want it changed in someway let me know. Downloading the latest version now :)

That's perfect, thanks! :)

I see that the link to the picture is dead. I'll have to prepare some more general introduction and a picture that cannot dissapear :)

Been using music x since the early builds and the pace of which its growing is brilliant!! are you planning in the future or soon-ish about adding something that will let you know when a new build is available?

I have no dedicated domain name right now but I'm checking what I can do to add this.